Converting an audio track of a kick drum into MIDI data

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
goosetunes
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Converting an audio track of a kick drum into MIDI data

Post by goosetunes »

I've searched the manual without luck… so can anyone tell me if there's a way in DP 8.05 to create a MIDI track that synchs to the beat of an audio kick drum track? I've seen it done in Cubase where using beat detective you can create a synched MIDI track which you can then use to trigger VST samples to help beef up your kick drum sound. :headbang:

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
DP 9.52, MachFive 3, MX4, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, PLAY, 828mk3 Hybrid FW-USB2, 8-Pre, MIDI Express XT, Mid-2012 MacPro 2 x 3.46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon, 64 GB RAM, Graphics Radeon RX 580 8192 MB, OSX 10.14.6.
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Converting an audio track of a kick drum into MIDI data

Post by bayswater »

Have a look at the Trigger plugin in the manual.

For a discussion on Trigger's merits and some alternatives, see here http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... er#p479388
and here http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... er#p479964

If basic beat detection is what you really want, you can find it in Chapter 50 of the manual.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
dpg4macman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Converting an audio track of a kick drum into MIDI data

Post by dpg4macman »

I haven't tried this so it may or may not work. Couldn't you just select the "pitch" option on the audio bass drum track - copy and paste to a MIDI track. assign a VI with your favorite drum sample. ??