New Mac Pro Machine

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: New Mac Pro Machine

Post by James Steele »

I wonder if it's difficult to get those chips still? :(
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

If you want it, one can be found, typically used these days. But the Xeons are tanks James, so used is OK. You can also use this, but your RAM won't do ECC anymore:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-i7-9 ... 9751398%26

EDIT: I note the above listing is for an Engineering Sample, not generally recommended.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

James Steele wrote:I wonder if it's difficult to get those chips still? :(
I periodically snoop around... Just found this new W3680:
http://www.rakuten.com/prod/intel-xeon- ... fgodIAMARw
Looks like it would be $630 after discount "last day" today.

They also have one "refurbished" for $399.

Here's one on Ebay "New" for $570:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/195H-BX80613W36 ... 1253139514

Upgradeable used Mac Pro 4,1 2.66 Quads are currently running $900 at Macofalltrades.com.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Can't see any reason the refurbished wouldn't work. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

James Steele wrote:Can't see any reason the refurbished wouldn't work. :)
+1 By all reports, Xeons are top-binned silicon and very durable.
KarlSutton

Post by KarlSutton »

The new mac pro is great - of course I didn't have any legacy gear to worry about losing use of other than an 828mkII which I'm going to attempt to hook up via thunderbolt to firewire adapter (good/bad idea?)

The one I'm using (it's not mine) has 8 cores & 32GB RAM. I have loaded a 16 part Kontakt - an 8 part Mach5 - battery - Stylus - Ivory - Absynth - Real guitar - all at 256 buffer with barely a ding in the performance meter. Oh and there is also a full prores 15 minute video loaded in to.

Ivory I'm running off of the internal SSD & the rest of the VI's are on an old G Tech FW800 drive via the TB adapter. I've also got a G Tech G Raid using USB3 & it is very fast (over 200/mbs read/write)
MPB 17" 2.66 i7/8GB RAM, OSX 10.6.8, DP 7.24, 828 mkII, Ethno 1 via Ultimate Soundbank, MX4, MSI, Komplete 9, Ivory, Stylus RMX.

for a time:MacPro6,1 3Ghz 8 core 32GB RAM
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

KarlSutton wrote:The new mac pro is great...
+many
My 6-core screams.
I just set up my Pegasus R4 last night too - 6 terrible bytes of very fast storage.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

KarlSutton wrote:828mkII which I'm going to attempt to hook up via thunderbolt to firewire adapter (good/bad idea?)
From all I've heard, good.
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

I have a Mackie 1640i, goes FW400-FW800-TB and all is good.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
mongoose

Post by mongoose »

Re using the 828mkii with a TB->FW interface, I am doing this on my new iMac and it works without a hitch. Mileage with the new MP may vary, of course.
Spankin' 2020 10-core iMac, 40GB, Catalina, DP 10, Ivory, B-5, M-Tron,
UAD-2, Wissner Artist Upright Grand, Tokai MAT Strat, P-Bass, and a bunch of other noisemakers.