SSD for Boot Drive...?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
jloeb
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: SSD for Boot Drive...?

Post by jloeb »

Anybody putting an SSD like a Crucial m500 or other current model into a Mac Pro should probably just get one of these if it's going to be for audio work, or even if you plan to add multiple drives for both system and audio/VI, because each card gets you two 6 gigabit PCIe drive slots, whereas the MacPros 2009-2012 have 3 gigabit internal SATA slots.

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/tempossd.html
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Bennie Sims wrote:I finally was able to install the Crucial SSD M500 on my Mac pro!! Took forever for the Mac to recognize the hard drive no matter how much support I got from Crucial Tech support. Quite the process, but through true diligence and research I figured it out!! Now that it is working I absolutely love the feel of this new computer. That's what it feels like a new computer!! When I get the money I plan on changing all my drives!!!
Yes, inquiring minds want to know... please share your knowledge!

My boot drive sits in drive caddy #1 in my MP and the Mac boots in about 7 seconds from boot screen. Although the SATA3 (6Gb/sec) solutions do increase SSD speed for streaming data, my research suggests that, for a boot drive (lots of random 4k pulls) SATA2 (3GB/sec) gets you very very close.

For a while I was getting delayed boots. Discovered it was a failed USB hub power supply and too many USB devices pulling too much power.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

HCMarkus wrote:Although the SATA3 (6Gb/sec) solutions do increase SSD speed for streaming data, my research suggests that, for a boot drive (lots of random 4k pulls) SATA2 (3GB/sec) gets you very very close.
This is correct. If you're going SSD for your boot drive alone, it's probably not worth it to get a 6G card unless you really want to keep all your current SATA drives for some reason, or you're doing video work with your boot drive etc. System performance/ app loading themselves don't benefit much from the 3G vs 6G I/O speed bump.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

There are some really inexpensive two-port SATA 6gb cards, but they will only support one SSD at a time at full 6 Gb/sec speed. I have one like this in my MP, with a single SSD connected internally and the second port set up as PCIe to allow client drives to be easily connected.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-eSATA-2-SATA- ... 2a2472e87f

I paid about $16.00 from a US-based seller.
frankf

Post by frankf »

Here' same $39 PCIe solution from OWC which provides 6gb to both ports and is backward compatible to 3gb and even 1.5gb
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20 ... PCIE6G2S2/

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

frankf wrote:Here' same $39 PCIe solution from OWC which provides 6gb to both ports and is backward compatible to 3gb and even 1.5gb
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20 ... PCIE6G2S2/

Frank Ferrucci
Yes, the same chipset, but without internal port option and 3x as expensive...
Data Transfer Rate: Up to 500MB/s total card bandwidth under optimal conditions.
I'd go for the one from Hong Kong for $11. Just sayin'. :D
Bennie Sims

Post by Bennie Sims »

HCMarkus wrote:
Bennie Sims wrote:I finally was able to install the Crucial SSD M500 on my Mac pro!! Took forever for the Mac to recognize the hard drive no matter how much support I got from Crucial Tech support. Quite the process, but through true diligence and research I figured it out!! Now that it is working I absolutely love the feel of this new computer. That's what it feels like a new computer!! When I get the money I plan on changing all my drives!!!
Yes, inquiring minds want to know... please share your knowledge!

My boot drive sits in drive caddy #1 in my MP and the Mac boots in about 7 seconds from boot screen. Although the SATA3 (6Gb/sec) solutions do increase SSD speed for streaming data, my research suggests that, for a boot drive (lots of random 4k pulls) SATA2 (3GB/sec) gets you very very close.

For a while I was getting delayed boots. Discovered it was a failed USB hub power supply and too many USB devices pulling too much power.
The key was to actually put the drive into the mother board directly preferably in the third bay. Go to Disk Utility and format the disk and make sure you go to the partition parameters and and select GUID for intel Mac Pros. then erase or format. The SSD then will appear on your desktop as a HD. Then using Disk Utility "restore" your Mac hard drive to the new SSD. It works great. I could not get the Mac pro to recognize the SSD if I formatted and restored it by usb. Even after formatting by usb once I inserted the SSD into any HD bay with AdaptaDrive the Mac Pro could not recognize it!!
Mac Pro Six Core Trashcan OX.10.13.3,Macbook Pro 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5 OSX 10.11,DP 8.07 and 9.52,Protools 2018.4 and 10.3.9,Logic 10.4.1.,Reason 8,Waves V9.7. Diamond Bundle, Mach Five 3.2.1, Vir 2, Kontakt 5.3, Melodyne Studio 3.2.2.2, Melodyne Single Track, Motu 2804 MK3, Apollo 8 Quad,Apollo 8 Duo,UAD 2 FireWire Quad Satellite, UAD Thunderbolt Quad Satellite, Rosetta 800, Avalon Vt 747sp, Focusrite 4x Red One, UAD 4-710d, Raven MTi 2 3.3.1, Motu MIDI Express XT.
VitcoMusic

Post by VitcoMusic »

Bennie - are you using the Crucial for your boot drive? I'm considering a SSD myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mac Studio Ultra 64gb; Motif 8; Novation Summit, Yamaha MOXF6, Mach Five Three; Altiverb, UVI Stuff, Acoustic Legends; Plugsound Pro; Fender Strat; Stylus, Omnisphere 2.8, Trillian
Bennie Sims

Post by Bennie Sims »

VitcoMusic wrote:Bennie - are you using the Crucial for your boot drive? I'm considering a SSD myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes. It works great!!
Mac Pro Six Core Trashcan OX.10.13.3,Macbook Pro 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5 OSX 10.11,DP 8.07 and 9.52,Protools 2018.4 and 10.3.9,Logic 10.4.1.,Reason 8,Waves V9.7. Diamond Bundle, Mach Five 3.2.1, Vir 2, Kontakt 5.3, Melodyne Studio 3.2.2.2, Melodyne Single Track, Motu 2804 MK3, Apollo 8 Quad,Apollo 8 Duo,UAD 2 FireWire Quad Satellite, UAD Thunderbolt Quad Satellite, Rosetta 800, Avalon Vt 747sp, Focusrite 4x Red One, UAD 4-710d, Raven MTi 2 3.3.1, Motu MIDI Express XT.
BobK

Post by BobK »

jloeb wrote:Anybody putting an SSD like a Crucial m500 or other current model into a Mac Pro should probably just get one of these if it's going to be for audio work, or even if you plan to add multiple drives for both system and audio/VI, because each card gets you two 6 gigabit PCIe drive slots, whereas the MacPros 2009-2012 have 3 gigabit internal SATA slots.

Anybody have experience comparing a 6 Gb/sec SSD with a 3 Gb/sec SSD for loading sample libraries? (The largest libraries I currently use are Trilian acoustic basses and Galaxy Vintage D piano, FWIW.)

At the moment, my top priority is speeding up my Mac Pro's startup time and application launching. For that, jloeb and hcmarkus said a 3 Gb/sec SSD drive is probably fine.

However, if I plan on adding a second SSD in the not-too-distant future for storing samples and DP projects, then I'm wondering if it might make sense to invest in a PCI card that gives me 6 Gb/sec up front.

Thoughts?

I'm also wondering if anyone has further comments on OWC vs Crucial vs Samsung vs other brands.

Thanks!
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
rnappi

Post by rnappi »

jloeb wrote:Anybody putting an SSD like a Crucial m500 or other current model into a Mac Pro should probably just get one of these if it's going to be for audio work, or even if you plan to add multiple drives for both system and audio/VI, because each card gets you two 6 gigabit PCIe drive slots, whereas the MacPros 2009-2012 have 3 gigabit internal SATA slots.

I'm thinking of getting a dual SSD adapter to hold my system and audio drives. My question is: Is it wise to have both those drives sharing the same bus vs having them on separate buses with one in an internal bay and one in a pcie slot? Would the increased read/write speed outweigh the bottlenecking you might introduce?

Any advice would be great,

Thanks,
rich
2012 Mac Pro 3.46 Ghz Westmere 12 Core_96G Ram_OSX 10.12.6_DP 9.5
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

frankf wrote:Care to share your solution?
Yes, please! I'm considering doing this in the future and any pearls of wisdom you could share would help others have an easier go of it. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Audio is not nearly as demanding as some other uses. Otoh, someone was advertising 1T 6G SandBridge SSDs for $600 recently - less than the $679 for a 3G from OWC. I found the link in one of these threads - it was pointing to something else.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
frankf

Post by frankf »

Excuse if I wrote this before, but if you have a 3g PCI Mac Pro (I do, a 3,1) and are anticipating upgrading to a 6g PCI Mac in the next year or so, you may want to look to a 6g SSD to future proof your drives and get spec performance when you do jump. I've 2 6g OWC SSDs in my 3,1 and they completely work, albeit at 3G speeds.

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I've been considering an SSD for my Sample Libraries drive. I already have an Accelsior for my boot drive, however it's 120GB and a bit "cramped." I was wondering about using a SSD for the projects drive, but as was said, audio isn't very demanding and I don't know if that would be worth it. I DO however think using one for VI instruments/samples is a great application. DP projects would probably open a WHOLE LOT FASTER if you have many instances of VIs like MachFive, etc.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!