SSD for Boot Drive...?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: SSD for Boot Drive...?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I have to check and make sure my machine can handle a 5th drive but that would be totally awesome! Thanks.
Last edited by MIDI Life Crisis on Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I have to chaco and make sure my machine can handle a 5th drive but that would be totally awesome! Thanks.
If you have an open PCIe slot you're golden. I actually yanked my dedicated firewire card that was being used for Liquid Mix (which I purposefully abandoned a year ago) to free up a slot.
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

http://www.rfjmusic.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Chaco? What was my spell checker thinking... ok, here's the scoop.

On a 2008 MP (which is what i have) if the SSD card is inserted into the extended PCIe slot next to the graphics card, you get the full throughput of the SSD as well as that same throughput for the two eSATA ports.

OTOH, if you place it in ANY OTHER PCIe slot on the machine, the throughput drops to below SATA (so don't do that!)
2008 Mac Pro
These models have two x16 PCIe 2.0 slots, which enable Acceslsior to deliver full throughput up to 688MB/s. Installing Accelsior_E2 into one of the two x4 PCIe 1.0 slots will result in Accelsior_E2 being addressed as a gen one, one-lane card with performance limited to real world 190-200MB/s data rates.
Still, a $1,000 is a lot of clams for a drive but the other drives do seem like distinct possibilities now. Thanks again for the info, guys. Here's the OWC item:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/PCIe ... lsior/RAID
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Chaco? What was my spell checker thinking... ok, here's the scoop.

On a 2008 MP (which is what i have) if the SSD card is inserted into the extended PCIe slot next to the graphics card, you get the full throughput of the SSD as well as that same throughput for the two eSATA ports.

OTOH, if you place it in ANY OTHER PCIe slot on the machine, the throughput drops to below SATA (so don't do that!)
2008 Mac Pro
These models have two x16 PCIe 2.0 slots, which enable Acceslsior to deliver full throughput up to 688MB/s. Installing Accelsior_E2 into one of the two x4 PCIe 1.0 slots will result in Accelsior_E2 being addressed as a gen one, one-lane card with performance limited to real world 190-200MB/s data rates.
Still, a $1,000 is a lot of clams for a drive but the other drives do seem like distinct possibilities now. Thanks again for the info, guys. Here's the OWC item:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/PCIe ... lsior/RAID
Lots of good options for sure. I was going to do the PCIe for my VI's then swap out my SATA boot drive for an SSD as well, but my late 2009 MP would have maxed out at the 3G SSD for the boot drive, which is not just a little slower than the Mercury Accelsior_PCIe option. So I went ahead and sprang for max speed and put everything on the PCIe super car. In for a dime...
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

jloeb

Post by jloeb »

There's another option that gets you essentially the same or better speed for half the price per gb:

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/tempossd.html
and
http://www.sonnettech.com/product/tempossdpro.html

These get you 6Gb/sec, full speed of the drives and when configured as raid up to 960mb/sec.

I suspect for our (multitrack, vi) purposes, JBOD will do anyway, and the Sonnet tech guys said if that's your choice the small card is all you need.
ghobish

Post by ghobish »

Just a heads up, I installed the 960GB card in a 2009 MacPro 4,1 and it was great as far as spped went but it was not long before it developed a problem that prevented booting from the card. It's been returned to OWC for warranty replacement; we will see what we will see.
Gary Hobish
A. Hammer Mastering & Digital Media
San Francisco, Ca
http://ahammer.com/mastering

Mastering: Mac Studio M1 MAX 2TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 32-core GPU, OS 12.6; DP 11.22, Waves, Izotope RX10 Advanced, Alloy, Nectar, PSP stuff, Plug-In Alliance, Metric Halo ULN-8 MkIV, Euphonix MC Control & MC Mix, Presonus Central Station, and (still) no air conditioning (but at least now there is airflow)

Annex: Mac Pro 2010 5,1 3.33GHz 12-core, 80GB RAM, 10.14.6, DP 11.22, Metric Halo ULN8 MkIV, MOTU 2408III
MIDI Life Crisis

FWIW (and you probably know this) but in my 2008 MP I was told that the card had to be in the skit next to the graphics card to have the specified performance. Maybe not true in the later MPs. Then again, at least worth mentioning.

Stay dry this week.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
ghobish

Post by ghobish »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:FWIW (and you probably know this) but in my 2008 MP I was told that the card had to be in the skit next to the graphics card to have the specified performance. Maybe not true in the later MPs. Then again, at least worth mentioning.

Stay dry this week.
I think that's where I had it. Plus it worked fine for a month or so. I also had a 480gb standard SATA-3 SSD of theirs completely die (stopped showing up on the bus) after a few months (a different client). Fortunately I had redundant backups in both cases. But I'm a bit skittish on relying on SSDs at the moment. We'll see how the replacements play out.
Gary Hobish
A. Hammer Mastering & Digital Media
San Francisco, Ca
http://ahammer.com/mastering

Mastering: Mac Studio M1 MAX 2TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 32-core GPU, OS 12.6; DP 11.22, Waves, Izotope RX10 Advanced, Alloy, Nectar, PSP stuff, Plug-In Alliance, Metric Halo ULN-8 MkIV, Euphonix MC Control & MC Mix, Presonus Central Station, and (still) no air conditioning (but at least now there is airflow)

Annex: Mac Pro 2010 5,1 3.33GHz 12-core, 80GB RAM, 10.14.6, DP 11.22, Metric Halo ULN8 MkIV, MOTU 2408III
tonomud

Post by tonomud »

ghobish wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:FWIW (and you probably know this) but in my 2008 MP I was told that the card had to be in the skit next to the graphics card to have the specified performance. Maybe not true in the later MPs. Then again, at least worth mentioning.

Stay dry this week.
I think that's where I had it. Plus it worked fine for a month or so. I also had a 480gb standard SATA-3 SSD of theirs completely die (stopped showing up on the bus) after a few months (a different client). Fortunately I had redundant backups in both cases. But I'm a bit skittish on relying on SSDs at the moment. We'll see how the replacements play out.
I've had 2 OWC SSD's die on me in the past...so I decided to try a couple other trusted brands, and I've not had any issues since. Not sure if I just got unlucky with the OWC ones, or whether I was on the 'bleeding edge' of tech, but between that and a couple of other sour experiences with OWC gear flaking out on me, I'm starting to see past the "OWC quality" marketing machine, and looking to other brands when I can. For SSD's, I've had a very good track record with Intel, Samsung and Sandisk, though I'll probably stick with Intel in the future due to their 5-year warranties (vs the normal 3 yr). When they work, SSDs are just about the best upgrade that you can put in a computer in terms of the before/after feel. Just make sure to have a reliable system in place to backup your data...
iMac 2017 4.2 i7, 32 GB RAM, Mac OS 10.12.6
DP 9.52
Motu 896mk3 hybrid, True Systems Precision 8, Apogee Rosetta 800
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

tonomud wrote:
ghobish wrote:

Stay dry this week.
I've had 2 OWC SSD's die on me in the past...so I decided to try a couple other trusted brands, and I've not had any issues since. Not sure if I just got unlucky with the OWC ones, or whether I was on the 'bleeding edge' of tech, but between that and a couple of other sour experiences with OWC gear flaking out on me, I'm starting to see past the "OWC quality" marketing machine, and looking to other brands when I can. For SSD's, I've had a very good track record with Intel, Samsung and Sandisk, though I'll probably stick with Intel in the future due to their 5-year warranties (vs the normal 3 yr). When they work, SSDs are just about the best upgrade that you can put in a computer in terms of the before/after feel. Just make sure to have a reliable system in place to backup your data...
Kinda scary stuff. If it wasn't for the owner of LASS and his cronies recommending this particular OWC product I'd have looked elsewhere.

frankf

Post by frankf »

3 OWC SSDs fine here, including 1 boot, 2 samples.
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
bralston

Post by bralston »

cbergm7210 wrote: Kinda scary stuff. If it wasn't for the owner of LASS and his cronies recommending this particular OWC product I'd have looked elsewhere.
Now…that is not a very nice thing to say. Andrew and his Audiobro team are probably amongst the most ethical, technically talented and upstanding people I know in Los Angeles. :? :brucelee:
Regards,

Brian Ralston

- MacPro 7,1 3.2 GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W, 384GB 2933MHz DDR4 RAM, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD OS drive, 6TB Samsung Pro EVOPlus SSDs via Sonnet 4x4 M.2 PCIe card, Graphics card: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB, UAD-2 Quad, DP 10.13, DP 11.0,
- 15" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost to 4.8GHz, 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 mem, Radeon Pro Vega 20 w/4GB HBM2 mem, 2TB SSD storage, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD, DP 10.13
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

bralston wrote:
cbergm7210 wrote: Kinda scary stuff. If it wasn't for the owner of LASS and his cronies recommending this particular OWC product I'd have looked elsewhere.
Now…that is not a very nice thing to say. Andrew and his Audiobro team are probably amongst the most ethical, technically talented and upstanding people I know in Los Angeles. :? :brucelee:
Please excuse my miscommunication, brother. This was in no way derogatory toward Andrew. Indeed, because of my respect for the LASS team I purchased the drives and will continue to do so regardless of failure reports from folks on this forum regarding OWC drives.

Bennie Sims

Post by Bennie Sims »

I finally was able to install the Crucial SSD M500 on my Mac pro!! Took forever for the Mac to recognize the hard drive no matter how much support I got from Crucial Tech support. Quite the process, but through true diligence and research I figured it out!! Now that it is working I absolutely love the feel of this new computer. That's what it feels like a new computer!! When I get the money I plan on changing all my drives!!!
Mac Pro Six Core Trashcan OX.10.13.3,Macbook Pro 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5 OSX 10.11,DP 8.07 and 9.52,Protools 2018.4 and 10.3.9,Logic 10.4.1.,Reason 8,Waves V9.7. Diamond Bundle, Mach Five 3.2.1, Vir 2, Kontakt 5.3, Melodyne Studio 3.2.2.2, Melodyne Single Track, Motu 2804 MK3, Apollo 8 Quad,Apollo 8 Duo,UAD 2 FireWire Quad Satellite, UAD Thunderbolt Quad Satellite, Rosetta 800, Avalon Vt 747sp, Focusrite 4x Red One, UAD 4-710d, Raven MTi 2 3.3.1, Motu MIDI Express XT.
frankf

Post by frankf »

Bennie Sims wrote:I finally was able to install the Crucial SSD M500 on my Mac pro!! Took forever for the Mac to recognize the hard drive no matter how much support I got from Crucial Tech support. Quite the process, but through true diligence and research I figured it out!! Now that it is working I absolutely love the feel of this new computer. That's what it feels like a new computer!! When I get the money I plan on changing all my drives!!!
Care to share your solution?

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB