annoying things - looking for a couple of answers

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
dhelpling
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: annoying things - looking for a couple of answers

Post by dhelpling »

Just an official thanks to Shoosh - you answered all of my issues (aside from Maverick's Squirrelyness) and I'm up and rockin'.

Cheers - DH
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

Killahurts wrote:I think it is an IO Gear BT adaptor.. the important thing is to get a Bluetooth 4.0 adapter, as it has the best compatibility with the Mavericks OS (apparently).

is it this one KH?

IOGEAR GBU521 USB Bluetooth 4.0 Micro Adapter
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833139027
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

labman wrote:
Killahurts wrote:I think it is an IO Gear BT adaptor.. the important thing is to get a Bluetooth 4.0 adapter, as it has the best compatibility with the Mavericks OS (apparently).

is it this one KH?

IOGEAR GBU521 USB Bluetooth 4.0 Micro Adapter
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833139027
That's what I have.. but you should know I'm having all kinds of issues again with the Magic Mouse, Trackpad, and bluetooth in general. Busted down to an old wired mouse at the moment, because I got so damn sick of trying to make those devices work every 15 minutes, when they will loose connection and fail for no apparent reason.

The Magic Mouse and Trackpad are only about 26 inches away from the above adaptor. :?
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

Thank so much KH. I saw something yesterday on the I/O forum (or newegg) that there might be a conflict on macs that already have a bluetooth card involved. They didnt post the work around. They just said contact customer support for solutions.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
remmet

Post by remmet »

I'm another one who prefers not to use consolidated windows. And supposedly, the CW preferences includes an option to disable it from occurring. But where is that option? I don't see it. And even when all the window choices are unselected, it doesn't make the consolidated windows go away.

For those of us who prefer the original layout characteristics of DP, this is indeed annoying.

Richard
Mac mini 2018 3.2GHz i7; OS X 10.144.6; 64 GB RAM; DP 10.1; Apollo X6; Kontakt 6; Omnisphere II; Adagio Everything, Spitfire almost Everything, Berlin Winds and Brass, Xosphere 2, and endless other sample libraries, acoustic and electric guitars, and assorted other essentials that have helped make me the "almost break even guy" my accountant so admires.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

If you use multiple chunks per file, I find it hard to believe you wouldn't want to use Consolidated Windows for at least the Tracks Overview, Sequence Editor, Chunks, Groups, Channel Strip, and a few other small windows.

For the rest of your windows, the ones you probably would prefer to view at full-screen, watch this video:

Using DP with Mission Control (Spaces)

This gives you the option of keeping some windows open at full screen all the time. For example, I keep the mixing board, MIDI Graphic Edit Windows, and some of my sample library interfaces open all the time, with those windows that need it expanded to full screen. The video explains what I do.

Of course, the best thing about DP is that it accommodates lots of ways of working. You can use whatever methods you like. Don't mind me or my methods if you are comfortable where you are. Still, you might see something in that video that grabs your interest...

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

If you don't want to have a consolidated window at all, you have to create a window set with the windows the way you want on start up, and then when it activates, minimize or close the CW. It would be easier to remove the control panel and all windows but the TO, from the CW, and just use the CW as your TO window. Save that as a window set, and you'll have something very close to a CW free layout.

But really, you should try a basic CW with the TO, and a few things like Chunks, Markers, Audio and MIDI Monitors, or whatever functions you have to access now and then, in a sidebar. It works really well.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

HATED the CW until ML. Now, in full screen mode, I can't work any other ways (they all seem so provincial now).
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:HATED the CW until ML. Now, in full screen mode, I can't work any other ways (they all seem so provincial now).
+1!

Only I still don't use full screen mode. It's just weird, I don't know why I don't like it, I just don't.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
remmet

Post by remmet »

shooshie wrote: If you use multiple chunks per file, I find it hard to believe you wouldn't want to use Consolidated Windows for at least the Tracks Overview, Sequence Editor, Chunks, Groups, Channel Strip, and a few other small windows.
bayswater wrote: But really, you should try a basic CW with the TO, and a few things like Chunks, Markers, Audio and MIDI Monitors, or whatever functions you have to access now and then, in a sidebar. It works really well.
Darn you guys -- you're always trying to get me to learn new things! :lol: Okay, I'll keep an open mind about CW.

Richard
Mac mini 2018 3.2GHz i7; OS X 10.144.6; 64 GB RAM; DP 10.1; Apollo X6; Kontakt 6; Omnisphere II; Adagio Everything, Spitfire almost Everything, Berlin Winds and Brass, Xosphere 2, and endless other sample libraries, acoustic and electric guitars, and assorted other essentials that have helped make me the "almost break even guy" my accountant so admires.
bolla

Post by bolla »

Shooshie wrote:If you use multiple chunks per file, I find it hard to believe you wouldn't want to use Consolidated Windows for at least the Tracks Overview, Sequence Editor, Chunks, Groups, Channel Strip, and a few other small windows.

For the rest of your windows, the ones you probably would prefer to view at full-screen, watch this video:

Using DP with Mission Control (Spaces)

This gives you the option of keeping some windows open at full screen all the time. For example, I keep the mixing board, MIDI Graphic Edit Windows, and some of my sample library interfaces open all the time, with those windows that need it expanded to full screen. The video explains what I do.

Of course, the best thing about DP is that it accommodates lots of ways of working. You can use whatever methods you like. Don't mind me or my methods if you are comfortable where you are. Still, you might see something in that video that grabs your interest...

Shooshie
I've just started to use this method and it is gold.
Thank you Shooshie.
8 Core 2.8 10.11.1 DP 8.07 | Dual 2.5 G5 VEP Slave | PC i7 920 VEP Slave | UAD Sat Quad | MiniMoog