How to remove unwanted anomalies in the waveform editor

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

How to remove unwanted anomalies in the waveform editor

Post by Topo »

Something weird was going on with the gal's TMJ while tracking. I ended up with these clicks at the end of her takes. She couldn't seem to control them. I can see a little transient spike in the waveform, but, as I scoured the manual, could not find out how to use the pencil tool to removed these. What would be more intuitive is an eraser tool...just drag over the clicky spot and it's gone.

Anyway..thanks for any help...I have never done anything with this editor, but really can't retake the performances... BTW, DP 7.24
i7 2.93ghz iMac SSD & 16gb•DP7.2/9•StudioLive1642•Joe Meek 3Q•ADK Humburg T-67•ADK Vienna•Rode NT2•Taylor GS Koa limited•'71 Gibson Hummingbird•Fender Strat Plus w/lace sensors•Fender P bass•JBL 2325's•MOTU microlite•Tascam DAT•Alesis QS8•Yamaha U3•Ravenscroft 275 VI•Nord Piano•Specialized Stumpjumper Elite
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: How to remove unwanted anomalies in the waveform editor

Post by stubbsonic »

It can be quite time-consuming to both zoom in enough to edit with the pencil and keep track of where you are in the waveform. If you are successful, you'll find the little wiggle where the click is, and you try to connect the waveform before and after with a line matching the curves around it.

If the click is happening during the vocal, the pencil might be the best way to go. If it is after the vocal, then you might be able to just cut & edge edit around it.

If you want to hire someone to do it, you could PM me.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Topo »

These little clicks that her mouth makes show up very obviously as a vertical line above the normal waveform of her voice. It happens at the end of a phrase. Sometimes she is trailing off or fading out her voice, and something happens to her jaw..it's weird. But, I can see these distinct vertical lines that *is* the click of her jaw. As mentioned, if I had an eraser tool it would be so easy to just take out that line. It appears like it's just one vertical line/sample. I'll keep looking online to see if there's a video demo of removing stuff like this. If I can't sort it out I might pm you and see what you'd charge...but it seems so basic, I want to learn how to edit things like this myself. I really *do* have to eliminate them, tho. The clicks really stand out in playback...probably because they are so high pitched.
thanks
stubbsonic wrote:It can be quite time-consuming to both zoom in enough to edit with the pencil and keep track of where you are in the waveform. If you are successful, you'll find the little wiggle where the click is, and you try to connect the waveform before and after with a line matching the curves around it.

If the click is happening during the vocal, the pencil might be the best way to go. If it is after the vocal, then you might be able to just cut & edge edit around it.

i7 2.93ghz iMac SSD & 16gb•DP7.2/9•StudioLive1642•Joe Meek 3Q•ADK Humburg T-67•ADK Vienna•Rode NT2•Taylor GS Koa limited•'71 Gibson Hummingbird•Fender Strat Plus w/lace sensors•Fender P bass•JBL 2325's•MOTU microlite•Tascam DAT•Alesis QS8•Yamaha U3•Ravenscroft 275 VI•Nord Piano•Specialized Stumpjumper Elite
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Topo wrote:These little clicks that her mouth makes show up very obviously as a vertical line above the normal waveform of her voice. It happens at the end of a phrase. Sometimes she is trailing off or fading out her voice, and something happens to her jaw..it's weird. But, I can see these distinct vertical lines that *is* the click of her jaw. As mentioned, if I had an eraser tool it would be so easy to just take out that line. It appears like it's just one vertical line/sample. I'll keep looking online to see if there's a video demo of removing stuff like this. If I can't sort it out I might pm you and see what you'd charge...but it seems so basic, I want to learn how to edit things like this myself. I really *do* have to eliminate them, tho. The clicks really stand out in playback...probably because they are so high pitched.
thanks
stubbsonic wrote:It can be quite time-consuming to both zoom in enough to edit with the pencil and keep track of where you are in the waveform. If you are successful, you'll find the little wiggle where the click is, and you try to connect the waveform before and after with a line matching the curves around it.

If there is simultaneous audio that cannot be erased without erasing the tone of the concurrent audio, a better tool would be iZotope RX which allows you to erase artifacts in specific frequencies instead of erasing all audio at a given moment.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Just sayin, but sometime those little clucks are part of what makes a singer or other instrument unique. I used to remove all such artifacts but have learned over time that simply reducing their levels can make for a more interesting recording.

Just sayin...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

An eraser tool CANNOT work because when you erase the pop, it would zero out the audio. What has to happen is that the waveform that is sustaining during the pop needs to be recreated in the section containing the pop.

If you are seeing the clicks as a single line, you are not zoomed in enough. When you zoom in enough both vertically and horizontally, you will see more. The pencil won't even work until you are zoomed in enough. Then the pencil can be used to draw in your best approximation of the waveform that would be there if the pop was not there. Depending on the the sound, it can be easy or difficult to get rid of. From what you describe, I'm sure you can make improvement with the pencil.

Again, the big challenge is learning to zoom and scroll to keep the click in view. They are very easy to use. You will want to use your page left & right key-commands to help you locate the click when you are zoomed in.

It is true though that the software de-clicker tools can do a better job, and make it MUCH easier. But they ain't cheap.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com