How do I turn on MIDI out in the piano roll? - RESOLVED

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
studioj
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

How do I turn on MIDI out in the piano roll? - RESOLVED

Post by studioj »

Hello,

Question from an infrequent DP user here... how do I turn on MIDI monitor so that I can hear notes in the piano roll window as I select them or edit velocities? Thanks!
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: How do I turn on MIDI out in the piano roll?

Post by James Steele »

studioj wrote:Hello,

Question from an infrequent DP user here... how do I turn on MIDI monitor so that I can hear notes in the piano roll window as I select them or edit velocities? Thanks!
You're probably targeting a virtual instrument. The virtual instrument is probably not set to run in realtime. Two things you can do. Record enable the MIDI track and that will temporarily put the VI to run in realtime, or choose "run in realtime" from the mini-menu at the upper right in the DP window for that VI.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
studioj

Post by studioj »

Thanks for the reply! That doesn't seem to work... both things were already on... in PT11 and Logic there is simply a MIDI out button that you engage to turn on the MIDI monitoring for that window so that when moving notes and trimming velocities and such you get feedback from the sound... I wondering what I'm missing. If i play on the keyboard I do get sound and of course on playback it is fine. Perhaps this is just a workflow difference in DP? I haven't used DP heavily since v3 so I can't really remember on way or the other.

Thanks!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I only gave you the common solution that happens with VIs. Ever since MOTU introduced pre-rendering of VIs in DP6, if the VI is not set to "run in realtime," selecting a note when editing or moving a note will not sound a note no matter what. (Unless you rec-enable the MIDI track, which will switch the VI it targets into real-time mode.)

If you've done that and you still don't hear a sound when selecting a MIDI note or moving MIDI notes, there may be a toggle setting somewhere for that. Am I really going to have to launch DP to search for it. Yes... I guess so. Sleep later.

Okay... see the graphic below. There's a little button with a speaker icon on it at the upper right of the control panel. Make sure it's turned on.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
studioj

Post by studioj »

Yes! That was it... thanks so much for your help!!

j
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

No prob. :)