Automatic dynamic resizing of tracks in Sequence window

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MartinBaird
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Automatic dynamic resizing of tracks in Sequence window

Post by MartinBaird »

I just sent this request to MOTU and wondered what everyone here thought. Would this be as useful to you as it would be to me? Thanks for your input.
Martin

My request is for automatic, dynamic resizing of the tracks in the Sequence window similar to the way the meters in the Meter Bridge window automatically and dynamically resize when additional or fewer meters are selected to be shown. What I mean is this…

If I use the Track Selector in the Sequence window to show one track I'd like it to automatically resize vertically to fill the available space. If I then select to show a second track, I'd like that one to be added to the first and both tracks to be resized so the two of them fill the available vertical space and are equal in height. This would continue as more tracks are added to the selection to be shown. Call me a control freak but I always like to be zoomed in to see what's going on! :-) I've been a P/DP user since 1990 - and I feel like I've lost a day or two of my life resizing tracks during that time - I'm smiling when I say that but how wonderful would it be to choose to see a couple more tacks and actually be able to see them without having to scroll or resize. A bonus would be having some controls in the Prefs over this functionality such as minimum zoom sizes (never zoom smaller than this) and parameters for automatic, dynamic horizontal track sizing.
Martin Baird
martin@vmw.us
DP 10, MachFive, Electric Keys, 828es, MTP A/V USB
Mac Pro 2 x 3.33 GHz Six-Core, Mac OS X 10.14.6
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Automatic dynamic resizing of tracks in Sequence window

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Great idea!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

I like your idea, but only if it were an optional thing that could be turned on or off at any given time ( I also like the way it works now).
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I like it too. I think the idea of having a preference for minimum size already, and being able to resize tracks as we can now would give enough control.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

FMiguelez wrote:I like your idea, but only if it were an optional thing that could be turned on or off at any given time ( I also like the way it works now).
Only if it were optional. I can't imagine that I would use it but if others like it, go be do.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MartinBaird

Post by MartinBaird »

Yes, I would definitely want it to be an option that could be enabled or disabled. As I said in my initial post it would be idea if there were some prefs parameters that could be set.
For those of you who like things the way they are and/or couldn't see any value in this functionality I'd be interested in hearing why you feel that way. Maybe I'm missing something or a better way of working that already exists.
Thanks for the input.
Martin
Martin Baird
martin@vmw.us
DP 10, MachFive, Electric Keys, 828es, MTP A/V USB
Mac Pro 2 x 3.33 GHz Six-Core, Mac OS X 10.14.6
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Love your idea Martin.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I am constantly expanding and contracting as I work with the files and edit. That window is never static in my world. I don't dislike your idea - just have no use for it.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro