Increment MIDI takes?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
sloiselle
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Increment MIDI takes?

Post by sloiselle »

Hi folks. Can anyone tell me if DP can loop record MIDI while incrementing takes, like it can with audio recording?

Thanks! -- Scott
Dan Worley
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Increment MIDI takes?

Post by Dan Worley »

Shockingly, no, it can not.
DP10.13
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
sloiselle
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by sloiselle »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Maybe a workaround?

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 64#p399664
Funny, the things that seem so obvious AFTER someone else has pointed it out . . . .

Thank you MIDI Life Crisis!
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

QuicKeys could be programmed for this too if you can type a quick command in between takes. That should be pretty easy.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MIDI Life Crisis

Quickeys can also be triggered with a MIDI command, so just enter an unused note as the MIDI trigger and setup a QK sequence to change the take. Easy sneezy nice and easy. Good solution for us QK users.

For that matter, you could program a key in the DP COMMANDS window to increment the take. In effect it IS possible. Cool!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote: For that matter, you could program a key in the DP COMMANDS window to increment the take. In effect it IS possible. Cool!
I didn't know DP had that command available natively.
Assign it to a keyboard key? Hadn't though about that. Totally cool! Thanks! 8)
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MIDI Life Crisis

RTFM. LOL!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

If you want to have the cycles appear on different tracks rather than different takes, an alternative is a key command mapped to the "down" key so you can move record enabled status to the next track in the TO as you complete each cycle. Of course you would need to create a load of "similar" tracks first.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

... and set them to not playback.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Good point. I actually leave playback on because I usually use this to record drum patterns and I want to hear the previous takes. But normally you'd want play enable off.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Guitar Gaz wrote:The only way I have found to do it is to make the sequence longer (i.e. copy the sequence end to end about 4 times) and this gives you the equivalent of a few "MIDI overdub" passes. You can then pick what was best, or copy the MIDI passes to the original sequence as separate tracks and comp like audio. Not perfect but it works.
That's the workaround MLC was referring to, and it's a good work-around. I post it here so as to add a small suggestion to speed up the workflow when moving the takes to other tracks/takes.

Use the Tracks Overview Window.

It's tailor made for moving bits of MIDI around. Works for audio, too, but not as well as the Sequence Editor. But I greatly prefer the Tracks Overview for moving MIDI around, and I do most of my MIDI editing in the MIDI Graphic Edit window. Holding the COMMAND key down enables you to pick up bits that carry into the next bar, but which do not belong to the next phrase which may start at the end of that bar. Changing your Tools Prefs to "Range Selection Only" also helps expedite the Tracks Overview Window. But it's doable either way. I actually leave my tools on both Range and Event Selections, but I know how to select things without "grabbing" them.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|