SSD for VI's?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
dbl
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: SSD for VI's?

Post by dbl »

Curious here. To what extenet are folks loading multiple VIs on one drive? "Heavies" I use are Ivory, Altiverb, couple Slates and Trillian. Suggestions for SSD distribution? Thanks.
2017 iMac 4.2 i7, 40 GB RAM, 256 SSD, multiple SSDs hanging. OS X 10.4.4.
Aaron Guidry

Post by Aaron Guidry »

Here's another sub-question:

--Do you run your projects off an external drive or from the internal drive? I'm thinking of getting an external SSD for my VI's and an additional external SSD for the projects. The internal iMac drive would also be a SSD, but the projects, nor the VI's, would be stored on this drive. Thoughts?
DP 11, Mac Studio M2 Ultra, 128GB Memory, Sonoma 14.3.1
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

This is what the creator of LASS (Andrew) and his right hand man (Sebastian) use...it screams:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/PCIe ... lsior/RAID
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

http://www.rfjmusic.com
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Tobor wrote:I'm a little fuzzy on how these Thunderbolt SSDs work....is an adaptor or some sort of host frame needed, or are they plug and play?
Plug and Play. Check the link I posted earlier... in comments there's a link to the LaCie product page from where one can access the user guide. This product is the Thunderbolt equivalent of the OWC product Chris mentions above.

I'm running four SATA2-connected SSDs in my Mac Pro... one system, one project/data, and two sample streaming, but you could run a large project, including VIs, from a single SSD if it is PCI-based.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
Aaron Guidry

Post by Aaron Guidry »

HCMarkus wrote: I'm running four SATA2-connected SSDs in my Mac Pro... one system, one project/data, and two sample streaming, but you could run a large project, including VIs, from a single SSD if it is PCI-based.
What's the size of each of your SSD's?
DP 11, Mac Studio M2 Ultra, 128GB Memory, Sonoma 14.3.1
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

System: 120
Project: 120
VI: 2x240