Suggestions on Production tools (VI's, gear, etc)

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
wonder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Suggestions on Production tools (VI's, gear, etc)

Post by wonder »

I got a call today for a track in the realm of Icona Pop ... sort of Electronic Pop.

It stretched my legs. I found myself spending a lot of time looking for loops or samples and/or software.

I'm looking for suggestions on VI's, or software, or whatever that is in the realm of super pop, electronic, etc that would increase workflow. Maybe loops or a groove machine ... something to get the ball rolling on a track.

In the realm of Dr Luke, DJ Tiesto, et al.

Any suggestions?
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
kwiz

Re: Suggestions on Production tools (VI's, gear, etc)

Post by kwiz »

Last edited by kwiz on Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Great family and friends!

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.
Native Instruments Komplete 14 Ultimate, Console 1 MKIII w/C1 Fader

"Without struggle, there is no progress"

F. Douglas
wonder

Post by wonder »

thanks. i'll try that.

I also heard about Sylenth and Massive and Synth1.

I'm gonna keep looking to build a great library.
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

NI's Maschine.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
billgers
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by billgers »

wonder wrote:
thanks. i'll try that.

I also heard about Sylenth and Massive and Synth1.

I'm gonna keep looking to build a great library.
Sylenth 1 sounds absolutely amazing and if you want a killer fat analogue sound, it's great. Problem is, it's not yet 64 bit and may or may not work in your version of DP.

For synth stuff, I absolutely love Alchemy. Super easy to use and it's got simple but powerful real-time tweaks that you can do to the sounds to change them up. Basically, every patch is a starting point and with almost zero effort you can morph each patch to suit your needs. They also have numerous inexpensive add-on patch and sample sets that you can buy for any specific project you are doing. Alchemy is great for everything from synth pop to EDM to atmospheric sound design and scoring.
2018 Mac Mini 3.2 GHz Intel Core i7 with 32 GB RAM and 2 TB SSD
Monterey 12.6.1, DP 11.21 64 bit. Mach Five 3, Ethno 2, Omnisphere, Trillian, Stylus RMX, EWQL Play, Kontakt 5 with various libraries, Absynth 5, Sampletank 3, Realstrat 3, Alchemy 1.55, Addictive Drums, lots of other goodies.

MOTU MIDI express XT, MOTU 828 Mk.3 firewire and Novation 61 SL Mk. II
bdr

Post by bdr »

Check out Rob Papen's synths. The guitar VI is naff but the synths are great.
Mac 2.8 8-core, 20 GB RAM, Mac 10.9, DP 8, EWQLSO Platinum Play, Mach V II, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer, AIR, Absynth 5, Plectrum, CronoX, Albino3, RMV, cup of tea.