Select An Entire Track

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
swpowe
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Select An Entire Track

Post by swpowe »

Hi There. I've tried looking all over for the answer to this but I can't find it anywhere. I'm wondering if it's possible to select the entire length of a track using some sort of shortcut. What I'd like to do is click on a MIDI track in the track view and using some sort of shortcut key I'd like it to select all of the MIDI data on that track. I can't find any command available that seems to do this. Is there a way to do this or even in some other view? I like to have all of my tracks laid out in track view and then be able to select everything for a track at once so I can move it or delete it or whatever.

Thanks!
reedster
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Select An Entire Track

Post by reedster »

In Tracks view - one way is to put Markers before and after the data you want to select, click the earlier Marker to select the data between the Markers, then click the Track name to select only that track. Once the Markers are placed - two clicks.

Or you could make only the desired track show in Graphic or Sequence Editor, by Option Clicking the track name in the Track Selector, then Select All with Command A, return to Tracks Overview Shift T for editing.
MacBook Pro 9,1 15" 16gb | 10.12.4 | DP 9.13 | xAir | NI | WIVI | Garritan | Izotope | Bidule
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

[EDIT-- as Prime Mover said below] in the Tracks Window, type COMMAND-A first (select all), then CLICK on the desired track in the list. That's two quick steps. Easy.
Last edited by stubbsonic on Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
swpowe
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by swpowe »

Both of those are very helpful. Thanks!
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Actually, it's even easier than that. In tracks view, hit command-A, and then click on a single track name. No shift keys or anything. It will maintain the (infinite) horizontal selection, but limit it to one track.

I use this all the time in Bouncing Down. I always setup my sequences to start at measure -3, because I can zoom out up to "4-measures-per-line" and still maintain 4 bar phrasing selection. But when I bounce something down, I don't want there to be 10 seconds of silence at the beginning. I like to start the bounce at measure 0 (to account for any pickups or slight MIDI lead-ins). Here's how I do it:

- Command-A in the track list window.
- Click on any track to limit the selection to one track, use a track that has absolutely no data before measure 0 (often not the conductor track)
- Shift-Click-Drag on the first 3 bars (-3 through -1) to clear the selection from the empty beginning of that track
- Drag down the entire list of track names. At this point, your horizontal selection has been set, so any other tracks will simply match this.
- (option) shift-click away any tracks/track-folders you don't want to bounce.

A few steps, but the entire process takes all of about 10 seconds and gives me precise control over what I bounce. The reason I limit the selection to one track is that you can de-select the first 3 bars and set your horizontal selection, instead of having to drag down the entire list of tracks to de-select -3 through -1.

Just one of those little tricks I picked up.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

There are two shortcuts that I use A LOT:

Grow Selection to beginning
Grow Selection to End

Whenever I select anything, I hit both.
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.