Puch in/out parameters

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
newageguitar
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Puch in/out parameters

Post by newageguitar »

Is there a way in DP8 to quickly highlight a specific punch in/out area in the sequence window like ProTools Quick Punch does? I've always done it the traditional way in DP.

Thank you.
MacPro 8 Core 32 GB, MacPro Quad Core 2.66, 8 GB, 2xPCIe424, 2-96Khz 24io's 4-1224's MacBookPro Dual 2.66 i7 2-828 MK2. Allen & Heath GS-3000 32/8 console, eight tons of outboard gear etc. etc.
I appreciate your help.
NazRat
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Puch in/out parameters

Post by NazRat »

There is an unassigned command to 'Set Selection to Auto Record'. I have it assigned to ctrl-cmd-r. In the sequence editor you can select all (cmd-a) and then follow it with ctrl-cmd-r (my assignment)- it will leave all tracks with the highlighted punch out-in selection.
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
waitsongs

Post by waitsongs »

I'm not completely sure I understand the question since I don't think I've used Quick Punch in Pro Tools, but if you're just looking for a way to quickly mark in's and out's on the fly (like with the Pro Tools Up and Down arrows), I believe F5 and F6 are the DP defaults. Not as easy as the Up and Down arrows, but at least there's a way to do it.
DP 8.06, OS X 10.8.3, 8 core 2.8gHz MacPro, 14 GB ram, 32 Lives and JBridge, UAD-2 Quad Satellite, 828mk3, Apogee AD-16X, Trak2 and Rosetta, Eleven Rack, EWQL Gold Pro, Colossus, Goliath, Ethno World 4, StormDrum2, Komplete 8, LASS, MX4, Soundtoys Bundle, Stillwell plugs, Ozone 5, Slate Bundle, Trash, Waves C6, H-EQ, Autotune, Abbey Road plugs, Pro Tools 10, Logic 9, Reason 6.5, Final Cut Pro, lots of mic pre's, mics, instruments....
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

This may help from the DP Tips sheet:

Quick Punch-in, Punch out:
Works: any window in which you would normally record
If you are recording a difficult take where the musician/ singer has to go back to the same spot several times, the usual way is to set up the auto punch-in/out and the playback start time, but this takes some time to set up, so here is an accelerated way to do it:
• Enable the "Link Selection to Memory" and "Memory Play" buttons on the selection tab on the control panel. Press the pre-roll an write the amount of measures (or beats) that you want to play before the punch in; and optionally, you can also write the post-roll amount. Make sure that the
auto-record button is not depressed. (Rather, "Link Playback to Memory" button) • Now when you make a selection in the time ruler, it will automatically setup this range as the punch in/out range on the record enabled track(s). When you press record, the play will start a few measures before (determined by the pre-roll amount), and automatically punch-in/out to the se- lected range, if the musician makes a mistake, simply press record again and it will repeat the same procedure from the same place.
• additional bonus: I programed the key number 2 to perform the command "extend selection to the end of the sequence", so lets say that I am recording a singer, and he makes a mistake, I stop recording, make a small selection at the time ruler right before the stopped and quickly press the keys 2 (extend selection to the end), and 3 (record), so it will play back some pre-roll time for the singer to prepare, and then continue recording from the selected spot. Very quick procedure. ________________
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
newageguitar

Post by newageguitar »

Thank you gents, much appreciated.

I'm a die hard DP user but have to use PT sometimes, I have 9.
There is one very cool feature PT 9-11 does, in quick punch mode you can simply drag your curser over the waveform area you wish to punch and it will be highlighted with in and out arrow makers in your time line, pre and post roll have their own panes for value entries. Once you've highlighted just hit 3 and you'll be at your pre role point and rolling towards your auto punch, it's insanely fast.

I was hoping DP8 would venture a stab at this, maybe on the next update.
MacPro 8 Core 32 GB, MacPro Quad Core 2.66, 8 GB, 2xPCIe424, 2-96Khz 24io's 4-1224's MacBookPro Dual 2.66 i7 2-828 MK2. Allen & Heath GS-3000 32/8 console, eight tons of outboard gear etc. etc.
I appreciate your help.
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

newageguitar wrote:Thank you gents, much appreciated.

I'm a die hard DP user but have to use PT sometimes, I have 9.
There is one very cool feature PT 9-11 does, in quick punch mode you can simply drag your curser over the waveform area you wish to punch and it will be highlighted with in and out arrow makers in your time line, pre and post roll have their own panes for value entries. Once you've highlighted just hit 3 and you'll be at your pre role point and rolling towards your auto punch, it's insanely fast.

I was hoping DP8 would venture a stab at this, maybe on the next update.
DP10.13
newageguitar

Post by newageguitar »

Dan,
Wanted to thank you for putting up that fabulous demonstration of quick punch for DP8 that helps allot, I've alway been confused by the link to playback buttons they'd usually take me to places I didn't know existed on my tracks. Your method is straight forward and simple.

Seriously my friend I really appreciate your taking the time and trouble to do that…MOTU never did.
I appreciate your help.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

"Yay DP!"

Indeed! I'll second that motion. Good vid, Dan.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|