GUI slow

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
ibeton
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

GUI slow

Post by ibeton »

is it normal to have the GUI becomes very slow when running something like 8 tracks with one or two plugins on each one? ( and 1 track that has 4 plugins)
i have imac 2.9Ghz 16GB ram
i tried several configuration in the "configure studio setting" but all the same
the processing meter indicates that there is not much processing going on...so what can be the problem?
i do see that if i disable one track ( which has 4 plug ins) everything looks much better....but thats it? it can't be better than that?
iMac intel core i5 2.9GHz/16 GB RAM / 1600Mhz DDR3 OSX 10.9.1 / DP 8.05
MOTU UltraLite
FMiguelez

Re: GUI slow

Post by FMiguelez »

No. That's not normal for that computer at all. That should be a walk in the park (my G5 can open 10 times that).

What buffer size are you using? Which plug-ins are these? Which DP version are you using?

Open up Activity Monitor to see if there are hidden processes that are taking all the CPU power from DP.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Post your hardware, OS and setup in your signature so that someone may have the necessary clues necessary to answer your question.

Right now, here's the only correct answer: It's possible. A lot depends on your setup and plugins.

If one of your plugs is Izotope RX 2, for example, that would explain a lot and someone seeing that in your setup would be able to give you the workaround.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
ibeton

Post by ibeton »

thank you
i added my mac spec in the signature

in the activity monitor DP8 is getting to 100% and above!
im running 8 tracks
12 eq WAVES
3 SparkVerb

the setting configuration of DP8 are the defualt
and when all tracks are enabled the GUI is hardly moving

thanks again
MOTU UltraLite
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

ibeton wrote:thank you
i added my mac spec in the signature

in the activity monitor DP8 is getting to 100% and above!
im running 8 tracks
12 eq WAVES
3 SparkVerb

the setting configuration of DP8 are the defualt
and when all tracks are enabled the GUI is hardly moving

thanks again
Sounds like you're running DP 8 in 32-bit mode. Are you?
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
ibeton

Post by ibeton »

no...its 64bit
MOTU UltraLite
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

ibeton wrote:no...its 64bit
Then something is not right with your system. There is a conflict or
corruption with plugs or...who knows. The "slow GUI" you report simply
isn't normal, given your computer configuration and the O.S. you are
running.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com