Outboard video hardware to reduce CPU load?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mesayre
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Outboard video hardware to reduce CPU load?

Post by mesayre »

Hi folks,
I'm interested in decreasing CPU load when working with hi-res video. I wonder if any of you have experience working with an outboard video interface that at least partially handles the video decoding/rendering on hardware(for instance, the V4HD, if I'm understanding the docs correctly), and what sort of performance improvement I might expect if I sink some cash into something like that.

The v4HD is actually overkill for my needs, but I think it's the only MOTU unit with hardware acceleration, which I think is what I need. I'd consider a graphics card upgrade as well. I don't have the computer specs handy but can get them if that'll help.

EDIT: Though my profile says my primary OS is windows, in this case it's for a Quad Core Mac Pro.

Any thoughts?

Thanks all,
Mike
DP 10 - Win 10 - Ultralite AVB
bralston
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Outboard video hardware to reduce CPU load?

Post by bralston »

The new DP8 video engine harnesses the GPU as to not tax the CPU for video rendering. So…upgrading your video card would be an improvement. It seems like the folks with the older video cards tend to have the most problems with video in DP8. Just my observation. Also…Dave Roberts at MOTU has repeatedly shared that using H.264 codec in DP8…(and OSX even) is currently the least taxing codec as everything is optimized for that.
Regards,

Brian Ralston

- MacPro 7,1 3.2 GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W, 384GB 2933MHz DDR4 RAM, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD OS drive, 6TB Samsung Pro EVOPlus SSDs via Sonnet 4x4 M.2 PCIe card, Graphics card: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB, UAD-2 Quad, DP 10.13, DP 11.0,
- 15" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost to 4.8GHz, 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 mem, Radeon Pro Vega 20 w/4GB HBM2 mem, 2TB SSD storage, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD, DP 10.13