Movie not following edits in 8 the way it used to.

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
pencilina
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Movie not following edits in 8 the way it used to.

Post by pencilina »

Hi All,

I score to picture a lot. Since Motu's re-working of the movie window in version 8 the movie is way more sluggish (if responsive at all) to chasing edits and even responding to the transport. On top of this I used to be able to click on the movie window and use the arrow keys to advance or go back by one frame which now only works by clicking the arrow keys in the movie's transport window.

Am I missing something? Is anyone else finding this a bit frustrating? Is there a work around or a fix?

Thanks in advance,

_Bradford
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Movie not following edits in 8 the way it used to.

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

All good here. You might check the Commands window for changes to the frame by frame advance. I haven't used that in a while so can't speak to it otherwise.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

MLC,
So you don't have any sluggishness or delay with the movie chasing edits, correct?
Do you have a one or two monitor setup? (I have 2)

Thanks,
B
Is this fine on everyone else's system?
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
vsoprod
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by vsoprod »

No problems here since 8.04, that was the first version of 8 that ran video smoothly all the time. 8.05 has been great. I am running 3 monitors with an nvidia gtx680 card.
I try to get movies in ProRes format, though I've used h.264 when I had to. I can still step through movies one frame at a time when I select the movie window.
Just worked on a 50minute doc and the movie I was using was a 1080p prores.
What's your video card and how much vram? What format is the movie you're running. From my own experience an h.264 movie can hog a lot of video resources and DP 8 seems to need more video resources than say v7. I did a job where they had a macpro with a stock video card and we tested both pro res and h.264 versions, the h.264 stuttered a fair amount and the prores not at all. That's why I have the card I do, its beefy.
MacPro 12core 2.66GHZ, 32GB ram, UA Apollo Quad, DP9.12, OS 10.11.xx Waves, Nomad Factory, Drumagog, Autotune plugins.
Video card nVIDIA GTX 980 2GB memory