Volume Automation Question (editing sibilance/'esses')

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
halcyo
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Volume Automation Question (editing sibilance/'esses')

Post by halcyo »

Been a DP user for a long time, but I'm more of a musician than an 'engineer' lol.

Working on editing some vocal tracks, and I'd like to automate the volume on the vocal's 'esses'. Saw a great video from Dave Pensado and he very quickly selected the 'ess' portion of the soundbite (in Pro Tools however), and then just dragged the volume down. I'll post the video- it occurs early in the video (first thing he does to the track). Can this operation be done in DP? I am still on DP7. Unfortunately, I don't even know how to articulate in words what the operation would be called, which makes it hard to search for an answer. Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQQyEvj7zzA
Dan Worley
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Volume Automation Question (editing sibilance/'esses')

Post by Dan Worley »

Set the Reshape tool to _flat_ and draw with that.
DP10.13
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Even better than this (I need to do a tutorial on this it seems), is instead of volume automation, automate an EQ band in the 3-10k range (depends upon the voice). The result is a lot smoother and more transparent. You get rid of the harshness of the "Esss" without really sounding like you just dropped the volume. After all, the only thing you're after is a really loud burst in a specific frequency range... leave the rest alone. Just setup a single band EQ, play it back a few times until you have a desired frequency and dB cut, then automate the dB just as you would main volume.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
Don T

Post by Don T »

Hello,
I use different methods depending on how the "esses" are being formed by the singer and/or mic & electronics slew rate. First and foremost, pick the right mic................
1. If just the vocalist is causing it, I use one of two methods; one is to separate the soundbite at the beginning of the word then just adjust a fade in to taste. This works for plosives too. Second is adjust the automation at the specific "esses" I have a problem with. Although, if there are a lot of them I can spend quite a bit of time (read money) fixing them this way. Not so bad if I have to automate the breaths too and no one cares about the cost.

2. If the "esses" are made worse by mic or preamp distortion or electronic slew rate then I tend to use automated EQ / de-essing and/or side chain compression because the problem will exist on more than just "esses." It might require using a smattering of different methodologies to correct the vocal. Pitch correction does weird stuff to theses type of problems too so they compound the problems. Distortion and slew rate esses are not necessarily louder that the body of the word so de-essing plugins may not work very well, then I'm back to editing fades etc.

In the analog world I like to use a CAD Polyframe's de-expander. A time based effect that allows me to tailor leading edge transients ( like pops, esses and acc guitar finger poings & squeeks).

Don T
Last edited by Don T on Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's the ear, not the gear!
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (dp 10.01) - Lynx Aurora16 - OS 10.12.6/WaveArts/TruePianos - Legend 32ch console - G16 Fostex
(2) MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (DP 9.5) OS 10.12 - 24 I/O - 2408 mk2 - Da7- (PT 12) - 8 trk MCI
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core - OSX 10.12 - Genesys Black - Lynx Aurora16 - waves - Oxford - McDSP - 16 trk Otari - analog sweetness
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

Before all that, check your compressor setting on your vocal. Easing off of it a bit might do the trick. There's also a ton of de-esser plugs you can drop in before your compressor that might get rid of the sibilance without affecting the rest of your track.
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

Be careful of the compression plug you use, if any. The MW Leveler and MW Compressor both tend to accentuate existing sibilance. I often have to make a countermove when employing them.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Armageddon wrote:Before all that, check your compressor setting on your vocal. Easing off of it a bit might do the trick. There's also a ton of de-esser plugs you can drop in before your compressor that might get rid of the sibilance without affecting the rest of your track.
One of many reasons I never track with compression. I prefer to track without any effects when I can.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
csavetman

Post by csavetman »

Dan Worley wrote:Set the Reshape tool to _flat_ and draw with that.

Hey Dan, ( or anyone else! )

I'm struggling with the reshape tool. Trying to use it in the bite volume layer in sequence editor. Sometimes when I drag it, it works as I expect it to, changing only the section I dragged by inserting the 4 break points needed.
Other times however, it will only insert 2 break points, and will ramp to the previous point, creating a long duration volume change.
I've tried it with reshape set to flat line as well as straight line.
I can't seem to make rhyme or reason as to what causes that, or if I'm just doing something wrong. It seems very random. Help!!

thanks
Carlos

DP8.07 /Mac Dual Quad Core Xeon/ OS 10.8.5/ 10 GB ram
kurtl

Post by kurtl »

Here's an easier way. Select "essss", Split with CMD Y, Lower bite gain in Event Info Bar. Crossfade, done.
DP 10.11, OSX 10.11.6, MacPro 2.8/8 10gigs RAM, 2408Mk3, 2408Mk2, 2 Fastlanes, 2-UAD2 solos, Machfive 2/3.2.1, MSI, BFD3
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

kurtl wrote:Select "essss", Split with CMD Y
That's how I do it. I'm addicted to CMD-Y.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Anyone tried the included dynamic EQ for this?

I'm not up-and-running yet, but I'd assumed it might be my first port of call when the time comes...

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
bolla

Post by bolla »

monkey man wrote:Anyone tried the included dynamic EQ for this?

I'm not up-and-running yet, but I'd assumed it might be my first port of call when the time comes...
1. Cut the Ess out as a new sound bite.
2. Reduce sound bite gain
3. Cross fade

An automated plug may seem like the obvious solution but this manual option will give you better and more predictable/adjustable results and not affect any other parts of the track.
8 Core 2.8 10.11.1 DP 8.07 | Dual 2.5 G5 VEP Slave | PC i7 920 VEP Slave | UAD Sat Quad | MiniMoog
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Agreed. Hard to argue with that, Adrian.

I was just curious as to how the new-fangled MOTU offering stacked up as a realtime process (next-best option); it's not always practical to edit each "s", after all.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

The INCLUDED DE-ESSER in DP8! It works! Better than the dynamic EQ or any other side-chained method! More than controllable enough to forget trying manual work!
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
bolla

Post by bolla »

monkey man wrote:Agreed. Hard to argue with that, Adrian.

I was just curious as to how the new-fangled MOTU offering stacked up as a realtime process (next-best option); it's not always practical to edit each "s", after all.
For me the cut, drop and fade is the best option.

If the lyric was "Super star simian, swings through the trees, in star spangled suspenders, simply done with ease" I might have to modify my approach.

I have found the dynamic eq fantastic on acoustic gtr's to isolate particular notes and raise or lower them.
Cheers, Bolla.
8 Core 2.8 10.11.1 DP 8.07 | Dual 2.5 G5 VEP Slave | PC i7 920 VEP Slave | UAD Sat Quad | MiniMoog