Your opinion on Control Surface/Mixer/Next Purchase

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
kwiz
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Your opinion on Control Surface/Mixer/Next Purchase

Post by kwiz »

I have a DM-4800 with a similar issue; my screen is readable but barely.
With that said, I will not hesitate to replace the screen once its completely shot, and recently got a new screen from Tascam. The converters, flexibility, and sound of those consoles are incredible! (I used to own a DM-24 and upgraded to the 4800) If you like the workflow and sound of that board, then do yourself a favor and just replace the screen.
Great family and friends!

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.
Native Instruments Komplete 14 Ultimate, Console 1 MKIII w/C1 Fader

"Without struggle, there is no progress"

F. Douglas
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I have to go with kwiz: my DM3200 radically improved both my work and my workflow. It sounds amazing, the converters are good, the interface is insanely solid (hasn't dropped so much as a sample since I installed it), the automation is both accessible and deep... It would be a great tool at three times the price.

I even decided that it would still be a bargain if I had to replace the LCD screen every year. So, yeah, if you like what you're running, fix it and keep rolling.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I found the Begringer Mon800 surprisingly good. Handles 3 pairs of monitors plus a sub from 4 input sources, can also feed headphone amps. At $69, cheaper than building your own. I bought mine used for $30 on eBay and it was going to be temporary till I bought the Presonus, KRK, ProCo, Radial or any of the others I was looking at. I liked it so much I stopped looking at others.
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/MON800.aspx

They also have an 8 channel headphone amp with 2 switchable master inputs. Each channel can have its own input for individual control. Again much better than the $150 price would suggest.
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/HA8000.aspx

This is more flexible but allows only 4 mixes. It can drive 3 pairs of phones per mix. $130 street.
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/HA4700.aspx

I am not exactly a Behringer fan but I own both a MON800 and an HA4700 and am pleased with their performance.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
wonder

Post by wonder »

I have the Behringer 8 channel headphone preamp in case I have more than 4 ppl tracking at a time (HearBack only has 4 boxes). I like it ... it's solid.

I think my best bang for the buck is to keep the DM24 and fix the screen. I forgot to mention I have an Argosy console for the DM24 and getting anything else would require serious time and effort getting the console to fit a new mixer.

I'm gonna place the order for the screen...
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

They shouldn't give you any guff at Tascam, but if they do call my pal Barb Stenson at Full Compass. She'll get you one.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
wonder

Post by wonder »

UPDATE:

I ordered and received and replaced my DM24 screen. It works great. Although my faders are slowly getting slower and will eventually die out, I'm glad I replaced the screen and didn't ditch the board. Thanks for all the replies.
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear