32 Bit Wrapped Plugins Do Not Sound The Same...

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 32 Bit Wrapped Plugins Do Not Sound The Same...

Post by James Steele »

I think the original post was about plugs using TC Powecore? Maybe something is going on with wrapped plugs that have to access hardware DSP? I could try and do a test with my LiquidMix. All the UA stuff is 64-bit now.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
rainmaker
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by rainmaker »

Ok, so I've done a bit more testing as well as contacting and talking with Sound Radix. He said he would look into things a bit on his end. I haven't heard anymore about his results but there was the official release a few days later of version 1.0 of 32 Lives. So I installed it and ran some more tests.

I have no idea if it is anything that was officially done on his end but my results are much better now. I am actually getting T.C. VSS3 to null both native and wrapped in 32 Lives. Of course the modulation section has to be turned of for this to work but that's to be expected.

I also tried nulling a few Motu plugins as well as UAD plugins, both with perfect results. Of course those aren't wrapped but I just wanted to make sure things were working as they should.

The only issue, is I still can't get jBridge VSS3 to null between 32 and 64 bit wrapped. It still is different with less high end. I didn't try any other plugins with jBridge to see if they would null. But for me that really doesn't matter as I will be using 32 Lives from here on out.

So I'm not sure what exactly fixed things with 32 Lives, but it's looking good.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I wish I could stick exclusively with 32-Lives but I have some plugs that just don't get along with it. MonstaChorus for one. Also, I have to say I like using jBridgeM's "Performance Mode" to reduce the CPU hit of Slate FG-X, but once Slate releases the 64-bit version that's a moot point.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
rainmaker

Post by rainmaker »

James, have you downloaded and installed the latest version of 32 Lives to see if your stability problems might improve?
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Yes. It's a plug-in by plug-in basis for me. For some the AU/32 Lives combo is fine. For others it seems the VST/jBridgeM combo seems to work better.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Just an update... I posed in another topic, but did some more experimenting with latest 32 Lives. Just some random data points here:

1) I'm thrilled that Plugsound Pro now works! It didn't work with previous versions of 32 Lives, so I'm stoked!

2) Altiverb 6 seems to be working like a champ now with 32 Lives. It, too, did not work with prior versions of 32 Lives. Happy... happy.

3) I'm trying to avoid jBridgeM because of one weird issue. Seems when jBridgeM's auxhost is launching when I open a project, I will sometime get spontaneous DP quits. The error dialog mentions a problem with MachFive 3, which isn't even being bridged. I think maybe it might be because of the iLok... not sure. So essentially, opening a project that contains a VST bridged with jBridgeM AND an instance of MachFive 3, is tricky. If the project loads and doesn't crash DP, you're going to be okay from then on. However sometimes it does.

4) Betabugs MonstaChorus, which I like a lot, still has issues with 32 Lives. If you stop playback while MonstaChorus is passing audio, you'll get a horrible stuttering noise and if I recall correctly, you have to quit the project to stop it. The VST version with jBridgeM has no such issue.

5) I'm looking into some potential issues with 32 Lives and the AU version of Drumcore 3. I suspect the VST and jBridgeM are more solid. I had DP freeze up on me (spinning beachball) when I closed the plug-in's window when using 32 Lives with it. More investigation needed.

6) Still no love for MX4. The bridged version still won't pass examination.

Oh... but did I say I'm really happy to have Plugsound Pro back??

labman

Post by labman »

James Steele wrote: 3) I'm trying to avoid jBridgeM because of one weird issue. Seems when jBridgeM's auxhost is launching when I open a project, I will sometime get spontaneous DP quits. The error dialog mentions a problem with MachFive 3, which isn't even being bridged. I think maybe it might be because of the iLok... not sure. So essentially, opening a project that contains a VST bridged with jBridgeM AND an instance of MachFive 3, is tricky. If the project loads and doesn't crash DP, you're going to be okay from then on. However sometimes it does.
Boy you just confirmed yesterdays headaches for us James. Got back from holiday, and installed DP 8.0.5 and all files that have an instantiation of M5 cause DP to quit before opening fully. Same files open fine still in DP8.0.4. (We do have jbridgeM installed) Does João know about this issue James?
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

labman wrote:Boy you just confirmed yesterdays headaches for us James. Got back from holiday, and installed DP 8.0.5 and all files that have an instantiation of M5 cause DP to quit before opening fully. Same files open fine still in DP8.0.4. (We do have jbridgeM installed) Does João know about this issue James?
I have not written him about it. I can let MOTU know about it too, but looks like you're right... this one sort of falls into Joao's lap because 32 Lives does not seem to conflict with the presence of MachFive 3. And again, it might be something to do with iLok also since MachFive 3 requires it, but can't be sure.

Also it seems like it would be a good idea to create a new topic for this issue.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

New topic created about the MachFive 3 / jBridgeM conflict.

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =1&t=56657