Embertone Blakus Cello = Amazing!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
embertone
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Embertone Blakus Cello = Amazing!

Post by embertone »

Not sure - I think they aren't fully working after Kontakt 2... but you know what DOES work in modern versions of Kontakt?!?!! Our instruments :dance:
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

embertone wrote:TouchOSC is made to work wirelessly, not sure if you can do it wired (although with a jailbroken iDevice you can do it through a wired connection). Make sure the iPad is on the same wireless network as your main computer. Go to Audio/MIDI Setup ---> Window --> Show MIDI Window. Go to Network, then highlight the iPad listed in "Directory". THEN it should show up as a MIDI device in whatever sequencer/application you're using for MIDI input. Hope that helps!

-Alex
Hey thanks for that!

Man, that Bach piece is pretty convincing.. I'm not supposed to spend any money right now.. :wink:
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

embertone wrote:Not sure - I think they aren't fully working after Kontakt 2... but you know what DOES work in modern versions of Kontakt?!?!! Our instruments :dance:
Ha! Very cool!

Glad you're here on our forum! Your instruments are nice.. investigating now.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

embertone wrote:TouchOSC is made to work wirelessly, not sure if you can do it wired (although with a jailbroken iDevice you can do it through a wired connection). Make sure the iPad is on the same wireless network as your main computer. Go to Audio/MIDI Setup ---> Window --> Show MIDI Window. Go to Network, then highlight the iPad listed in "Directory". THEN it should show up as a MIDI device in whatever sequencer/application you're using for MIDI input. Hope that helps!
Also, if you use an adhoc network without going through your router, you will experience much less latency. ("Create Network" through Airport).
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

embertone wrote:Not sure - I think they aren't fully working after Kontakt 2... but you know what DOES work in modern versions of Kontakt?!?!! Our instruments :dance:
I used the Gofriller and Strad in Kontakt 4 Player. I now have Kontakt 5 (full version) but have not tried those yet. If/when I get the chance to try them, I'll report. Truth be told, Kontakt 5 sat on my shelf for a year before I installed it. And I have yet to boot it within DP or otherwise! (Not a fan of Kontakt)

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Killahurts wrote:BTW, I have the Gofriller Garritan cello and the violin.. haven't used them in a long time, would they still work?

IIRC, they were hard to work, but once you "locked into" the performance controls, you could come up with some pretty realistic expressions.
To finally clarify this issue - yes, I have the Garritan Gofriller Cello and Strad Violin and they
both work fine in Kontakt 5.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I printed out some reviews (sorry, this means I no longer saved the links) to read on the commuter train earlier this week, then dipped my toes in the water with Friedlander Violin, as I have a stronger need for a more flexible violin at the moment and as I figured I might cover cello with Emotional Cello if it ever goes on sale.

The reviews all say Embertone's stuff is a bit beyond the Garritan stuff, in terms of phrasing as well as basic tone. As I have yet to get something usable out of Sample Modeling's Viola, I wouldn't be surprised. It is frustrating to me because it is so playable and yet the basic tone is puke-worthy (even when heavily tweaked in the GUI).

It is my hope that the special bow-direction handling in the Embertone libraries will give us the best of both worlds. I'll go into more detail in a new topic, as there is a special reason to start a new one.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
embertone

Post by embertone »

... and just so you know also, we released our solo bass today -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcP4ZOejN84

-Alex
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I put the Bass topic here earlier today:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =9&t=61477

Lately, I'm feeling plug-ins should go to the off-topic forum, as otherwise Windows users of DP might not see them if us Mac users keep discussing that sort of thing in the Mac DP area. :-)
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH