Sound Soap 3 rises from the ashes of BIAS

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Sound Soap 3 rises from the ashes of BIAS

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Apparently, it's back with a new distributer...

http://www.soundness-llc.com/soundsoap3.html
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bkshepard

Post by bkshepard »

Thanks for the heads up. Updating for $49 is pretty sweet!
-Brian

Mac M1 Ultra 20-core, OS 14.3.1, 128 GB RAM, DP 11.3.1, UA Apollo x6
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

David Polich wrote:I'm not sure if DSPQ is Mavericks-ready.
It works for me on Mavericks.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
billf

Post by billf »

David Polich wrote:FWIW, Peak 6 and 7 work in Lion, Mountain Lion, and as far as I can tell, Mavericks. So if you have a licensed copy of either, you're still good to go in 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9.

I got Wavelab 8 and DSP Quattro before upgrading from SL, as I was worried about losing Peak. Turns out I had nothing to worry about. At any rate, DSPQ
and Wavelab 8 are both pretty good, although Wavelab, being a Steinberg product, has a fairly steep learning curve and really isn't intuitive. DSPQ
has always been very straightforward and easy to work with. I'm not sure if
DSPQ is Mavericks-ready, I think Wavelab 8 is but I'm not entirely sure.
FYI, the guy who runs Soundness posted this about Peak a few months back. If you need authorizations, it appears his new company will handle if for Peak. Also he alludes to the possibility that Peak might be resurrected.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/9509060-post149.html
Thanks for all the supportive comments. I have not made any decisions at this time about Peak. I do understand it is unique and an important part of many people's workflows.

I wanted to mention a few things:

First, SoundSoap 3 is out now and available through my new company Soundness:

SoundSoap 3

Second, Soundness provides support related to any authorization issues you may have with BIAS' products. The authorization server is up and running and will be for the foreseeable future. Soundness does not offer any technical support for BIAS' products beyond authorization issues. If you need your authorization count increased, for example, please contact Soundness support through:

http://soundnessllc.desk.com

If you are putting off a new computer or OS upgrade because you are clinging to Peak, for example, that is not necessary! I've been using Peak 6/7 on OS 10.9...

Best wishes-
Steve Berkley
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

I have been posting every time the OSX changes - Peak 7 still works in Mavericks.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Guitar Gaz wrote:I have been posting every time the OSX changes - Peak 7 still works in Mavericks.
And thanks for doing so. Yes, Peak 6 and 7 continue to work in the latest
Mac OS. Which leads me to wonder why other apps that are as old as Peak do not work in the most recent versions of OSX.

Whatever - I rely heavily on Peak (6) and still haven't found another
audio editor that works as well as it does, or has as many features.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I still haven't had time to try my copy of SoundSoap 3, and feel obligated to do so soon as I need to check some legacy bugs to see if they're fixed.

I too rely on Peak still, and keep going back to it after trying other programs. I bought StudioOne recently just for its mastering mode, but it's a last resort when I run into an incompatibility of a plug-in with Peak.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
billf

Post by billf »

mhschmieder wrote:I too rely on Peak still, and keep going back to it after trying other programs. I bought StudioOne recently just for its mastering mode, but it's a last resort when I run into an incompatibility of a plug-in with Peak.
I'm with you on that, I just can't find anything that fits my workflow better, or as well as, Peak. I hope Steve Berkley decides to pick it up again because it really is a great program.

Also, I'm keeping my Mac Pro 1,1 just in case any future updates of OSX break Peak on my 5,1.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Yes I love Peak - I bought DSP Quattro on a crossgrade as I thought Peak was not going to work with Lion - and yet it keeps on going. Isn't that strange? It does not appear to be a simple program, and yet it still works when other apps just die unless updated for a new OS. I have not therefore used DSP Quattro yet - and can't therefore recommend it yet. I guess its okay - but I haven't bothered while Peak keeps on going.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

As with DSP-Q and DP 7.24, certain plugins may not work properly due to the Carbon / Cocoa issue. Other than that, if Bias followed the Mac Toolkit, no reason that Peak 7 shouldn't work.

Perhaps they learned after screwing it up so badly with earlier versions that required an expensive paid upgrade every time that Apple changed the OS. I threw my copies of Peak 3 & 4 in the garbage when 4 didn't work with 10.4 and decided I never needed to spend money with BIAS again. Owning izotope RX 3 Advanced, I am uninterested in trying the new Sound Soap even though I do qualifiy for the upgrade.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro