Sound Soap 3 rises from the ashes of BIAS

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
apanacci
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Sound Soap 3 rises from the ashes of BIAS

Post by apanacci »

Hey guys, anyone out there that got a notice from Steve Berkley,s new company for SoundSoap 3 ? I emailed them and asked for a free upgrade because Steve had my money from Peak Multi track that never was. Funny, no response.
2009 8 Core 5.1, 2012 6 Core MacPro,s , (32 gigs Ram) Mojave 14.6, Radeon 570, MacBookPros 2011, 2017 , 828MKIII Hybrid, 828X, MicroBook II, 8Pre, Nuendo 8ch A/D converter, PreSonus DigiMax LT ,DP11 , PT 2022.12, Cubase Elements 10.5, Peak 7, Logic 9 ,WaveLab 11, Reason 10, DSP-Quattro 5 ,many plugins , mics and synths. http://www.panaccimusic.com
Armageddon

Re: Sound Soap 3 rises from the ashes of BIAS

Post by Armageddon »

Wasn't Deck pretty much the multi-track version of Peak?
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page
billf

Post by billf »

I received a notice. But right now I'm only interested in his new company if he manages to get Peak back on the market, which doesn't look like it is in the cards unfortunately.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
guitardood

Post by guitardood »

After getting screwed on SoundSoap2, I wouldn't use their products ever again.

Chuck Fletcher on Reverb Nation
Chuck Fletcher on Facebook

"Life is like a box of chocolates. You know, eventually you're going to get the one filled with alien-like nasty tasting goo and have to spit it out and say YUCK".
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Guys - Peak 7 still works on Mavericks 10.9 - so whether people are angry with Bias for the demise, certainly this piece of software has worked fine through Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion and now Mavericks. So in a sense there is at least some life still in Bias products many years after the demise of the company. Just thought people would find that interesting......
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

guitardood wrote:After getting screwed on SoundSoap2, I wouldn't use their products ever again.
And Peak 3 and Peak 4 and Peak 5.

I have RX now and no longer see the need for Sound Soap.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

RX is pretty awesome, same with any of the Waves "X" plugs (although you have to stack those to really utilize them well). As for Peak, I happily abandoned it for Audiofile Engineering's Wave Editor (now, "Triumph"), which did significantly more for about 1/6th the price, despite still having a slightly wonky interface that takes some getting used to. That all being said, I'm not gonna dance on BIAS's grave, since Peak served me well for a long time. It was a great program that sort of lost its way when OS X came along.
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page
guitardood

Post by guitardood »

mikehalloran wrote:
guitardood wrote:After getting screwed on SoundSoap2, I wouldn't use their products ever again.
And Peak 3 and Peak 4 and Peak 5.

I have RX now and no longer see the need for Sound Soap.
Agreed!

I'm not angry at BIAS' demise as much as their maintaining of a server to allow activation and not take into account users whose system crashed and couldn't 'unauthorize' in order to reauthorize my paid-for software and basically left me with unusable abandon-ware while all of the 'warez' guys were still able to use the product with impunity. IMHO, if they were going to maintain the authorization server, it should have authorized every time and ignored previous authorization status.

Besides being a musician, I'm also a programmer and am very interested in getting paid for my works in both areas. That being said, there has to be a better copy-protection model which doesn't punish the people who've actually plunked down the dough for a product, such as was unfortunately utilized by BIAS.

For those whose usage of their software has been unencumbered, more power to you. For me, if they were to come out with the "Click Here To Create #1 Hit" software, they wouldn't get a single penny from me.

Chuck Fletcher on Reverb Nation
Chuck Fletcher on Facebook

"Life is like a box of chocolates. You know, eventually you're going to get the one filled with alien-like nasty tasting goo and have to spit it out and say YUCK".
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I downloaded a trial of WaveLab 8 this weekend since I can't use Peak with 64-bit plugs and thus no longer find it very useful. WaveLab 8 is a huge improvement over the disastrous WaveLab 7, but I haven't gotten my head wrapped around it yet. Unfortunately I think the cross-grade period has long expired, but maybe I'll start with Elements just so I don't have to move my mastering work to DP (it's a workflow issue as well as a work style issue for me).

I still haven't launched the new SoundSoap to see if they fixed the deal-breaker bugs from the previous version. I feel obligated to do so at some point when I'm more caught up on the stuff I let go for the past few months while working crippling overtime, but the incentive is quite low due to owning the full pro edition of RX3.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

mhschmieder wrote:I downloaded a trial of WaveLab 8 this weekend since I can't use Peak with 64-bit plugs and thus no longer find it very useful. WaveLab 8 is a huge improvement over the disastrous WaveLab 7, but I haven't gotten my head wrapped around it yet. Unfortunately I think the cross-grade period has long expired, but maybe I'll start with Elements just so I don't have to move my mastering work to DP (it's a workflow issue as well as a work style issue for me).

I still haven't launched the new SoundSoap to see if they fixed the deal-breaker bugs from the previous version. I feel obligated to do so at some point when I'm more caught up on the stuff I let go for the past few months while working crippling overtime, but the incentive is quite low due to owning the full pro edition of RX3.
Unfortunately, I'm still on Snow Leopard, still in 32-bit and am unable to upgrade (for now) to the new version, so I can't vouch for how well the re-christened 64-bit "Triumph" works, but I swear by Wave Editor:

http://www.audiofile-engineering.com/triumph/
dave pine

Post by dave pine »

really, i got screwed $200 from the, also... i'll write him too
mac pro 2.26 octacore 24gigs of ram/ El Capitan10.11, dp 10, mackie dxb, 3-2408mk3, waves mercury 10, ozone 3&4&5678, sound toys, izotope rx, melodyne editor, uad 2, bluetubes, 22" polkadotted dildo, omnishpere 2, trigger 2 deluxe, addictive drums, komplete 9, e/w ql symphonic orq platinum, ql choirs, ql stormdrum 2, ql gypsy, ql ra, ql goliath, ql pianos, superior drummer 3, ez drummer 2, garritan bigband, amg kickass brass, ztar, wife, dogs, droped my protools rig at the city dump
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

mhschmieder wrote:I still haven't launched the new SoundSoap to see if they fixed the deal-breaker bugs from the previous version. I feel obligated to do so at some point when I'm more caught up on the stuff I let go for the past few months while working crippling overtime, but the incentive is quite low due to owning the full pro edition of RX3.
I am curious and believe in never saying 'never'. Seeing that I would qualify for the SS3 upgrade, I'd be interested in a hands on comparison between it and RX 3. That being said, SoundSoap would have to have some pretty cool compelling tricks up its sleeve for me to be at all interested.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
dave pine

Post by dave pine »

email sent, we'll see if he responds
mac pro 2.26 octacore 24gigs of ram/ El Capitan10.11, dp 10, mackie dxb, 3-2408mk3, waves mercury 10, ozone 3&4&5678, sound toys, izotope rx, melodyne editor, uad 2, bluetubes, 22" polkadotted dildo, omnishpere 2, trigger 2 deluxe, addictive drums, komplete 9, e/w ql symphonic orq platinum, ql choirs, ql stormdrum 2, ql gypsy, ql ra, ql goliath, ql pianos, superior drummer 3, ez drummer 2, garritan bigband, amg kickass brass, ztar, wife, dogs, droped my protools rig at the city dump
dave pine

Post by dave pine »

no reply
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

FWIW, Peak 6 and 7 work in Lion, Mountain Lion, and as far as I can tell, Mavericks. So if you have a licensed copy of either, you're still good to go in 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9.

I got Wavelab 8 and DSP Quattro before upgrading from SL, as I was worried about losing Peak. Turns out I had nothing to worry about. At any rate, DSPQ
and Wavelab 8 are both pretty good, although Wavelab, being a Steinberg product, has a fairly steep learning curve and really isn't intuitive. DSPQ
has always been very straightforward and easy to work with. I'm not sure if
DSPQ is Mavericks-ready, I think Wavelab 8 is but I'm not entirely sure.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com