DP and Mavericks

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP and Mavericks

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Whatever floats your boat.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bayswater wrote:I have no doubt everything "works" in a sense in 10.9, but I'd rather to wait until the testing is done than to get into a project and find that something crops up halfway through. Meanwhile I have 10.9 on my laptop and find a lot of little annoying things that will probably get cleared up when .1 arrives.
The PCI issues are the deal killer for me... else I'd be installing it right now. :(
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

"The PCI issues are the deal killer for me... else I'd be installing it right now. "

agreed james
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

bayswater wrote:
bayswater wrote:Korg: No reply
Heard from Korg today. They are still testing the legacy plugins. Like some others, they recommend not updating.
And finally IKM replied that they are still testing, and will post an announcement.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Oh wait. It was an email from the folks at Snapper! That's how I found out about that.
I had an odd message from Objective Development saying this setting is not necessary for Little Snitch -- they seemed to be unaware of it.
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

After initially thinking Mavericks was well done, I've been using it a few weeks now and basically I can say it is not ready, don't do it. It crashes stuff ALL THE TIME. Even the finder crashes a lot. One folder on my NAS I can't even browse it, it always crashes finder. Scroll bars will disappear on safari pages and you can't get them back until you refresh the page, etc, etc. Basically this must be the worst software release I have ever seen from Apple in terms of bugs. Steve Jobs is rolling over in his grave right now. I'm sure it will all get resolved, but wait. I'd be going back to ML if I had been smart enough to backup first, which I wasn't.

IOS7 has a lot of bugs too. QA at Apple is seriously lacking compared to before. Honestly, heads would be rolling under Steve Jobs. Hopefully they will get there, but I recommend everyone wait.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
MIDI Life Crisis

Checking your sig it would seem you have a lot of stuff on your laptop, much if which runs at boot up. I'm sorry you're having problems but before you indict the OS definitively, you might want to disable your numerous plugs and see if the problems subside. Same for the iOS.

I'm current in both the iOS and OS and have no such experience. In fact, since ML and now with Mvrks my machine has never worked better.

I suspect an older plug(s) have not been updated. Apple cannot be responsible for that as it's up to the 3rd party vendor to stay up to date. Alternately, a component in your system might be to blame, but your experience is not only unusual but far from the experiences we're seeing from the vast majority of users. When problems do arise it is very often found to be user error or outdated drivers and apps.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

I have a lot of audio stuff in my sig, none of which I have even TRIED under mavericks yet. I'm just talking about basic OS functionality, and no I don't have any weird startup stuff hehehe... Check the forums, I'm not alone. Just giving feedback to people that care. Or you can be foolish like I was and jump on the bandwagon early.....and oh yea make sure not to backup!
MIDI Life Crisis

I've been on the system about 3 weeks now and have seen nothing to substantiate anything you're claiming nor have I seen anything in "the forums" except 3rd party incompatibilities. Heehee...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

glad to hear at least a few people are not having problems. For me, I went from ML working great, to Mavericks crashing a lot of stuff including Finder.
MIDI Life Crisis

Same transition here but with zero issues. ZERO! I don't doubt you are having problems as described and I am truly sorry to hear that. It could simply be a bad install of the OS. It happens! Maybe a damaged/stalled download?

No doubt I could log on to Apple Discussions and find a ton of complaints but have no reason to do so. I have found a couple of "odd behaviors" especially concerning Finder windows on a dual screen system. Nothing that is detrimental and that can't be easily worked around.

What I was referring to was all the VIs and plugs you have listed in you sig - some appear rather old, so I am thinking that these not loading correctly could be corrupting the boot process. Again, it's possible.

If you don't have the desire or time and patience to troubleshoot the issues then by all means, dropping back to the earlier OS is the answer. Maybe it will be fixed in a later update. however, if the problem is in something in your system, then next, and the next, and the next updates will be "bad" as well.

Again, Mavericks remains the best OS update I've seen on my machine ever.

You might find this article interesting from WIRED.

I tried cherry picking good reviews but opted instead for finding a review/article that shows what some of the better documented issues in Mavericks are.

Good luck, man. I really hope you can find a way to make this work because when it does, it's sweeeeet!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

yea think Apple will sort out these bugs eventually and mavericks will be the best version ever, but sorry I can't agree about the bug's, this is the worst release I've ever tried from them in terms of stability, I should have waited until the bugs were sorted out. My friend's IOS7 iPhone blue screens several times a week. She works for Apple by the way. Myself I took my iPhone back to IOS6 immediately and I'm waiting.

My audio plugins and programs have not even been used at all in the results I'm talking about so I'm not sure why you are bringing them up. I suspect some of those will have problems, and I hear rumors about MOTU drivers...ok...that is a whole 'nother level of problem that I should have waited for, but I have a pause in music activity for a while, so I haven't really been concerned about that. But you're right, if I find out I can't use one of my older programs anymore, I will wish I was back on good ol' Snow Leopard again hehe. But that is really a separate problem from what I am trying to inform people of now.

But when Safari is not updating the pages correctly anymore, not updating scroll bars correctly, when Finder is crashing consistently while trying to browse folders, etc.. these are unacceptable bugs really. I get multiple program crashes daily, a lot from Finder. One folder on my NAS I can't browse at all anymore through finder though it will list out fine through terminal.
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

All I can say is bless the "early adaptors" of an initial OSX release.
Without you guys, the rest of us chickens wouldn't know what was wrong.

All half-kidding aside, I just go by the mantra of "never use version 1
of anything". Never. I'm genuinely happy for people who have experienced
zero problems with the new Mavericks release, but those are the small minority. Most people will experience problems, including developers, many of whom don't get their hands on a new OS until it's actually released.

Me, I'm waiting a couple more months until I'm sure all my stuff will
work with Mavericks. I really like Mountain Lion and my systems are
stable with it.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
MIDI Life Crisis

dewdman42 wrote: My audio plugins and programs have not even been used at all in the results I'm talking about so I'm not sure why you are bringing them up.
Because they reside in your BOOT DISC Audio folder and your system scans this folder at startup.
dewdman42 wrote:But when Safari is not updating the pages correctly anymore, not updating scroll bars correctly, when Finder is crashing consistently while trying to browse folders, etc.. these are unacceptable bugs really.
That sounds like a graphics issue. Sure, it could be the OS and a bad install, it could also be bad RAM or graphics card. It could be a lot of things. But the fact remains that many are not seeing the same issues as you are. But then saying:
... I recommend everyone wait...
is a little like saying: I'm driving over a road filled with nails and I keep getting flats. Until this road is cleared, I think everyone should stop driving.

I couldn't agree less. All the more reason people should continue using the OS. To find the actual bugs and get them fixed. I still maintain that the fault lies in your system somewhere and not necessarily in the OS itself. The iOS is a whole other can of beans (not necessarily worms) and has been working great on my two iPhone 5.

Heck, do what you want, it doesn't matter or affect me in the least. All I'm saying here is that it might be that your system has a few incompatibilities that are creating your problems. You can ignore that concept and wait for a fix. That's cool. I tend to find out what is actually happening before I decide what the imaginary cause might be.

In the mean time, everyone should stop eating chocolate cake. It's making me fat and until I get thinner no one else should enjoy it.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Dewdman, do you have any "hidden" preferences set? The type you need to do in Terminal or in a third party front end app? I do, and I've found a lot of flaky things going on with the Finder. In ML, I turned off a lot of things that make things look nice, but consume CPU. Now I find in 10.9 that the Finder does a lot of strange things, like the launcher freezing in the background and showing through application windows. I undid some of the animation preferences set in ML, and that fixed some of the anomalies.

I think now that maybe the reason these preferences are hidden is because they are not necessarily supported in upgrades. Luckily I didn't get around to setting these prefs on my main audio setup, so I'll probably upgrade once a few plugins are officially supported.