DP and Mavericks

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP and Mavericks

Post by mikehalloran »

HCMarkus wrote:Because I wanted zero issues with my 828mkII, I bought a $35 FW400 card with TI chips and dropped it in my MP. No Adaptors. A bus dedicated to my audio i/o. Works for me.

I'm just hanging out with ML for now. It works so nicely, I feel no need to push things. The update to Mavericks will come in due course, after we make it through at least an update or two.
Interesting. When I tried to use my 828mkII with a FW hub, it crashed the FW bus in my Mac - both my G5 and my iMac. I tried different FW hubs. Fortunately, resetting the PRAM /NVRAM brought my FW bus back to life.

Nowadays, my 828 is the only FW device I connect anymore. I've ordered one of those Unibrain 800-400 cables to provide a more robust connection than the one that I have now.

I look at a shelf of FW external drive housings, some empty, others with CD burners or old drives. Except to save one for testing and booting PPCs that I maintain, it's time to recycle them all. Damn, that's a fair chunk of change sitting on that shelf.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
goosetunes
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by goosetunes »

Thinking of upgrading, but hoping to avoid :banghead:

Has anyone experienced compatibility issues with any of the following software/hardware?

PLAY
Kontakt 5
Absynth
MachFive
MX 4
NuGen VisLM
Waves 360 bundle
MOTU 828 mkII
MOTU 8pre
MOTU ExpressXT
MacPro 2x2.4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon

Thanks in advance for sharing your Mavericks upgrade experiences!
DP 9.52, MachFive 3, MX4, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, PLAY, 828mk3 Hybrid FW-USB2, 8-Pre, MIDI Express XT, Mid-2012 MacPro 2 x 3.46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon, 64 GB RAM, Graphics Radeon RX 580 8192 MB, OSX 10.14.6.
jeffreypeterwest

Post by jeffreypeterwest »

Are there ANY MOTU products that will stop working with Mavericks?
I went to Mountain Lion and lost Unisyn.

Is there anywhere which accurately logs what will stop working? If I know I can mitigate (I could have sys-exed all of my data into DP and survived the Unisyn issue but now i have to wait until my other gives up the MacBook and reinstall Tiger to get all my presets back)

Cheers
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

jeffreypeterwest wrote:Are there ANY MOTU products that will stop working with Mavericks?
I went to Mountain Lion and lost Unisyn.

Is there anywhere which accurately logs what will stop working? If I know I can mitigate (I could have sys-exed all of my data into DP and survived the Unisyn issue but now i have to wait until my other gives up the MacBook and reinstall Tiger to get all my presets back)

Cheers
It's best to look at the MOTU site, e.g.
http://www.motu.com/newsitems/motu-and- ... =mavericks
Note, they say current products, not all products.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
kats_corner

Post by kats_corner »

The strangest thing I've seen since upgrading to Mavericks was just this past week. I'm running DP 8.06, and one morning it would run for a few minutes, and then start to pop and click and then all audio went away. I did the usual round of restarts (MAS, DP, logout/in, reboot the mac, etc), and after each one the system was okay, for a few minutes, and then the same thing.

I started tracing running processes, and discovered that the speech to text, aka dictation, daemon was running in the background. I turned that service off in settings, and manually assured that all associated daemons were also killed, and then DP was fine.

My best guess at this point, is that the speech to text daemon decided there was no input, and reset the system audio service. I assume that this therefore caused DP to believe that the audio system state had changed, so it shut things down. All I can say for sure, is that as long as I keep the dictation system turned off on the mac, DP behaves fine for me under Mavericks. In fact, I am able to run much smaller buffers while seeing less CPU load under Mavericks than I ever could under leopard.

Sent from my HTC One V using Forum Fiend v1.2.8.
Ken: Owner/Engineer, KaT's Corner Recording
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

It would help if people would post their hardware (including Mac or PC stuff as well as peripherals) and the software versions if they are not current. Just sayin'....
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
billgers
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by billgers »

OK - I've been mostly a lurker for over a decade (maybe 2 decades?) and my few posts have been those that were seeking help. It's about time that I give something back to the community.

I have spent the last 3 weeks slowly doing a fresh install and updating everything to a new Samsung 250GB SSD that I purchased and installed in my Mac Pro. After ten years on two computers, it was time to get rid of the gunk and start fresh. I was shocked at how little space I actually needed on my boot drive once I got rid of all the unnecessary accrued garbage (sayonara Appleworks 6 and Norton Utilities! Au revoir Trilogy and Absynth 2,3,4 etc. etc.)!

In any case, I would like to report that in general, every piece of software you see listed in my signature appears to be working a-ok. I haven't installed Sampletank 3 yet because it does not get released until 2 days from now. I've tested lots of libraries in Kontakt and Play and they all seem to work. My system is actually much more stable now than it was in 10.6.8 running DP 7.24, probably because of all that accumulated junk on my system. I have a few odd niggles/questions, but nothing major and I will likely bring those up in separate threads. In any case, if anyone is on the fence, my experience has been largely positive. It has taken me many, many hours to complete all the installs, but I am very glad that I did a clean install from the ground up as was recommended by several folks on here. I am hoping that I can now milk this computer for another few years.

Thanks to all who helped me through their great posts and did not realize what a great help they were (on this thread and many others).

-Bill
2018 Mac Mini 3.2 GHz Intel Core i7 with 32 GB RAM and 2 TB SSD
Monterey 12.6.1, DP 11.21 64 bit. Mach Five 3, Ethno 2, Omnisphere, Trillian, Stylus RMX, EWQL Play, Kontakt 5 with various libraries, Absynth 5, Sampletank 3, Realstrat 3, Alchemy 1.55, Addictive Drums, lots of other goodies.

MOTU MIDI express XT, MOTU 828 Mk.3 firewire and Novation 61 SL Mk. II