DP and Mavericks

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP and Mavericks

Post by mikehalloran »

I can say it is not ready, don't do it. It crashes stuff ALL THE TIME.
No, much of the stuff you have installed is not compatible and runs at the root level.

MLC is correct on this. It is your system that is not ready for the upgrade. Fortunately, you can easily revert via Time Machine. Until then, you have a lot of incompatible stuff to clean out and/or update.

It doesn't matter that you aren't "running the audio yet". It's there and Mavericks doesn't like it. Often the problem is that the original developers didn't follow the Apple Toolkit; other times, the stuff is just old and past its time. Besides, your sig just shows the audio - what else is in there?

Do a safe reboot. Many thing you are used to will no longer work. OTOH, your system should be rock steady.

When I updated from Lion to ML, I was fine but the 10.8.2 update crashed my system hourly. It turned not to be not one but two culprits: The first was SpinDoctorX from Roxio which hasn't really worked since OS 10.5 - it installed a .kext that crashed 10.8.2. The second was a temperature monitor from Bresink - a little piece of freeware that was a real son of a bitch to track down and remove. After removing both, ML was solid - as is Mavericks.

Neither was Apple's problem. Really.

I have a feeling that Mavericks isn't going to work for you until you learn how to read crash reports. OTOH, some people should not upgrade - no law saying that you need to.
Most people will experience problems, including developers, many of whom don't get their hands on a new OS until it's actually released.
Which doesn't make it true. Anybody who wanted this beta had access to it for free including me.

My only problem - and there's a workaround - is that my 1st generation iPad isn't compatible with Pages 5. Had I known, I wouldn't have updated my iPhone to iOS 7 so that both it and my iPad could talk to Pages 4.3 which works quite well in Mavericks, BTW. At least my kids know what to get Dad for Christmas. Till then, the workaround is use Pages 4.3 and don't edit anything on the iPhone that the iPad needs to access - not really an issue.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

We should probably split and move this thread to troubleshooting. Anyway, here's a list of ACTUAL Mavericks issues:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

Uhmm, I don't have nutty stuff like Roxio or other things like that installed on my system, I avoid things like that like the plague.

The two main offenders are Safari and Finder, both provided with Mavericks by Apple.

Anyway I'm not interested in having a big debate with you. Glad its working for you, but I'm just reporting that my results have been awful after I initially reported otherwise. And cautious users should take heed.

Cheers
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

bayswater wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Oh wait. It was an email from the folks at Snapper! That's how I found out about that.
I had an odd message from Objective Development saying this setting is not necessary for Little Snitch -- they seemed to be unaware of it.
Even odder. Ob Dev says the haven't "figured out how LittleSnitch Agent gets in the Privacy settings at the moment, but there is no problem if it is unchecked. We are currently working on this problem."
I guess an update is coming.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

I'm having an increasingly bizarre experience with DP8 and Mavericks. Lots of issues. Very close to solving it with the help of MOTU Tech Support. As soon as it's resolved, I'll post a condensed account here in case it is helpful.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

I did the upgrade from ML to Mavericks without backing up, everything's working fine so far. I have even used DP under Mavericks to run the backtracks for two shows and it has performed flawlessly...
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

FutureLegends wrote:...without backing up...
Shame on you! :oops:

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

That's like taking a shower with your sox on! Oh man, you live dangerously.

I don't always upgrade, but when I do, I back up.

Stay thirsty, my friends.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The two main offenders are Safari and Finder, both provided with Mavericks by Apple.
You don't get it. Both use plugins and access root libraries. If you have incompatible junk down there, they will crash. I am not guessing that you have incompatible software - it's in your signature. It does not have to be running to cause problems.

Apple made changes - they do that with OS releases. If they decide that something is no longer supported then, as far as they are concerned, it's not their issue if you want to keep using it. The big issue for many will be is if Gmail and Apple will work together to fix the problems with the Mail client but Gmail works fine in a browser.

We all have old junk on our systems if we've been around for awhile. Those of us longtime DP users often found that when we upgraded to Leopard or SL, we had to find old hidden DP Auth files, delete and repair permissions for things to work (mine went back to v.2.71). Most of the time the old stuff causes no problems; other times it crashes your Finder. I gave examples of two things that crashed 10.8.2 - one worked in 10.8.1 while the other hadn't worked since 10.5.8. Yesterday, I looked in a folder and found AutoTune 4 libraries - AT 4 hasn't worked since Tiger and I'm certain they weren't causing problems but... Another time, something was choking Time Machine in Lion - I opened up Console to see and it was Finale 2006 Help files. What other old crap do I have? Sometimes I don't know till there's a problem.

What do the crash reports say? If you do not know how to read them, it's time to learn.

There is no debate here. My system is rock solid and stable running Mavericks and Safari. I haven't checked yet to see if it can print PayPal shipping labels as I won't have the need till next week - so far, only FireFox has been able to do that on a Mac.

The other choice is to revert to a system that was stable and did exactly what you want. Really, there's nothing wrong with that. Heck, I keep a G4 running OS 9 and 10.4.11 in my studio to access things that can't be run any other way.

I am only the messenger. I am sorry if it's not the message that you wish to believe.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

Just wanted to close the loop on my previous post. Looks like my issues have nothing to do with Mavericks and is instead related to a dodgy firewire cable (or possibly a failing 828 interface). Should have it tracked down this weekend.

Wouldn't have been able to figure this out without MOTU tech support and Campbell in particular. Many many thanks to them!

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

nk_e wrote:Just wanted to close the loop on my previous post. Looks like my issues have nothing to do with Mavericks and is instead related to a dodgy firewire cable (or possibly a failing 828 interface). Should have it tracked down this weekend.
I have had much trouble with Firewire 800 cables. That was an existing cable which they adopted without much thought when they made the Firewire 800 protocol. It's a terrible design. So, to get one to work all the time, it's got to be very well made, with metal parts in key places so as to hold in the socket without slipping out. The cheaply made ones tend to tilt in the socket, losing contact (or worse, short-circuiting contacts). So, I found some very good ones made by a company that's kind of obsessive about such things. Not "monster cable" hype, but real attention to the fit and contacts. (and of course, the standard things like shielding, connections, and so forth)

The company I found is called Unibrain:

It's probably easiest to find them at a place like Amazon, though a good thorough search will turn up what you want. I've gotten them in lengths ranging from 1 foot to 10 feet. No cable by this company has ever let me down.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

Very good to know Shoosh. Thanks!

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I'm trying to divorce myself from Firewire
The company I found is called Unibrain:
but until I do, this is great to know. I have one on the way for my 828mkII.

Thanks!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

It may or may not be applicable here, but often there are issues when people use a standard firewire 400 cable in place of a MOTU "audiowire" cable. They are essentially the same thing, however, the metal part of the connector is usually not as long and they don't seat completely inside the connector on the PCIe-424 card and you can get unreliable performance and strange errors. Users have fixed this by using a dremel tool or exacto knift and trimming back the plastic molding around the connector to expose more of the metal part.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Because I wanted zero issues with my 828mkII, I bought a $35 FW400 card with TI chips and dropped it in my MP. No Adaptors. A bus dedicated to my audio i/o. Works for me.

I'm just hanging out with ML for now. It works so nicely, I feel no need to push things. The update to Mavericks will come in due course, after we make it through at least an update or two.