Problems with EastWest Play + DP?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
jmistler
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Problems with EastWest Play + DP?

Post by jmistler »

I have been using Kontakt with DP successfully for some time on a core i7 iMac with 32mb RAM. Never have any CPU or memory issues with Kontakt instruments, even from large libs like LASS, etc. However, I purchased some libraries from EastWest which of course require their Play 4 software instead of Kontakt. These Play VIs invariably cause major CPU spikes that result in audio dropouts every few seconds during playback that make it extremely difficult to use. I have been going back and forth with EastWest support about it, tweaking settings in Play and DP, but to no avail. They claim that this problem doesn't exist in other DAWs like Logic, and that the problem must be with DP. Does anyone have any wisdom to offer about this Play-DP compatibility problem?
dave pine
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Problems with EastWest Play + DP?

Post by dave pine »

they just released a new ver. of play, have you tried it yet?
mac pro 2.26 octacore 24gigs of ram/ El Capitan10.11, dp 10, mackie dxb, 3-2408mk3, waves mercury 10, ozone 3&4&5678, sound toys, izotope rx, melodyne editor, uad 2, bluetubes, 22" polkadotted dildo, omnishpere 2, trigger 2 deluxe, addictive drums, komplete 9, e/w ql symphonic orq platinum, ql choirs, ql stormdrum 2, ql gypsy, ql ra, ql goliath, ql pianos, superior drummer 3, ez drummer 2, garritan bigband, amg kickass brass, ztar, wife, dogs, droped my protools rig at the city dump
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

EastWest Play libraries are problematic for most Mac users.
SSD drives are required in most cases to get decent results,if you go to VI-control you will find many threads regarding this, it's more of a Play/Mac issue more than a Play/DP issue.
Many users get secondary PC(windows)systems just to run Play or have abandoned EW products.

East West always blame other companies software or the Mac OS or will tell users there's no reproducible problem, they never admit Play is the problem. :shake:

Many users are also having better results with Play 3 and switching back to 3 after trying Play 4.
EW Lurker their internet rep even admits Play works better for most users on Windows based PC's and he's a Logic user.
I have many East West libraries all pre-Play,I never feel they state the minimum system requirements honestly,so I don't Play with EastWest anymore............. :smash:
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

kg, I'm thinking about getting my first EW library (with PLAY). rad your assessment here, very helpful. noted that it was about 8 months old, just wondering if any PLAY "improvments" had changed you mind??
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
dave pine

Post by dave pine »

i'm still in mountain lion, dp 8.05 , i'm not having any problems with play
mac pro 2.26 octacore 24gigs of ram/ El Capitan10.11, dp 10, mackie dxb, 3-2408mk3, waves mercury 10, ozone 3&4&5678, sound toys, izotope rx, melodyne editor, uad 2, bluetubes, 22" polkadotted dildo, omnishpere 2, trigger 2 deluxe, addictive drums, komplete 9, e/w ql symphonic orq platinum, ql choirs, ql stormdrum 2, ql gypsy, ql ra, ql goliath, ql pianos, superior drummer 3, ez drummer 2, garritan bigband, amg kickass brass, ztar, wife, dogs, droped my protools rig at the city dump