How to access old Performer and Digital Performer files

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: How to access old Performer and Digital Performer files

Post by mikehalloran »

Sorry to hear that. Save any Euros for a new unit rather than the wake (I couldn't resist).

The only difference between the 828mkIII Hybrid and 828x is that the Hybrid will connect to Thunderbolt with the Apple adapter while the x cannot be connected via Firewire. Otherwise, the units are identical. Some resellers have discounted the Hybrid since the x came out.

You will like CueMix FX.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
JeffatMOTUN
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by JeffatMOTUN »

I see this subject was addressed last year, and I am a bit late to the party, but I have a similar, if not more involved, issue. I had to finally give up on my PowerPC 8600 running DP 2.1 or 2.2 on OS 8.5.1. I have setup a Windows 7 Pro system running DP 9. This works great but I cannot access the old projects even after the renaming and zipping tips detailed in this, and other, threads. My latest thought is to access the latest version of DP that will open/convert DP 2.x projects, open and save as, and hope DP 9 Windows can deal with those. Does anyone know what version of DP could work as a bridge between 2.x and 9? Any other suggestions to help me bring my old projects into the 21st century of Digital Performer? Thanks
Windows 10 Pro
Digital Performer 10.13
Kontakt 5 Virtual Instruments
Lounge Lizard EP-4 Virtual Keyboards
EZKeys Virtual Keyboards
Superior Drummer Virtual Percussion
Waves v13 Plugins
Lurssen Mastering Console Software
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Might be nice if you could even borrow a Mac that could run DP 8 or 9. But I don't know if MOTU would give you an installer for a Mac version to convert, or if running the demo would let you convert.

Depending on how many files you have, you could ask someone to convert them for you (after a successful test file). If you have many files and it's valuable to you, you could offer to pay someone to convert them.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

As I understand it, your DP 8 and 9 activation codes work on either the Win or Mac versions of the installers so no worries there. The full install is available in Downloads.

Just make certain that you type in your activation (user name, email address and key code) exactly as MOTU has it in your customer account. Dash instead of minus sign.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
JeffatMOTUN

Post by JeffatMOTUN »

Thanks for the several replies. It sounds like it is being suggested that DP8 or 9 running on an Intel Mac could open/convert my DP 2.x files. Is that understanding correct? If that is a certainty I will begin working on borrowing/procuring a Mac to accomplish that. Can anyone suggest any other method that might involve the Windows 7/DP9 system I have currently running? Thanks
Windows 10 Pro
Digital Performer 10.13
EZKeys Virtual Keyboards
Waves v13 Plugins
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Get it working on a Mac in DP 8 or 9 and save. Zip the entire project folder and copy over to the Win box. It should now open properly.

Note that any AU plugins will not work in Windows. This won't be an issue for versions of DP that predate AU support.
JeffatMOTUN

Post by JeffatMOTUN »

Thanks for the reply. I will attempt to setup an Intel Mac with DP and open/convert the projects that way. It may take a while as I am not sure which of my contacts will let me use their Mac for dozens of projects to convert. I may have other questions as I move through the process and I will update this forum with any progress.
Windows 10 Pro
Digital Performer 10.13
EZKeys Virtual Keyboards
Waves v13 Plugins
JeffatMOTUN

Post by JeffatMOTUN »

Well, the adventure continues. I was able to procure an install of DP 8.02 but when I tried to install on an OS 10.5.x system it stated OS 10.6.8 was needed. Since I could not intrude on that system I borrowed a PowerPC G5 (brushed aluminum tower) running OS 10.4.11. I am attempting to upgrade that system but it appears that OS 10.6.8 will only run on Intel Macs. Is it true that the minimum system I need to run DP 8 is an Intel Mac on OS 10.6.8? Can anyone suggest an easier way to access dozens of DP 2.2 projects on DP 9 under Windows 7? Thanks
Windows 10 Pro
Digital Performer 10.13
EZKeys Virtual Keyboards
Waves v13 Plugins