How to access old Performer and Digital Performer files

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
dbluefield
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

How to access old Performer and Digital Performer files

Post by dbluefield »

yikes when I try to open several years old files they have the word "ext" and it is grayed out. I was told I can type ".dpdoc" after the file name to retrieve.
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: How to access old Performer and Digital Performer files

Post by James Steele »

Try that or .perf. I can't remember. Email me a project file also and I'll see if I can figure it out. Also, if you stored these project files on a drive that was not formatted for Mac, you may have lost the resource fork and that's why they're not recognized. There may be a way to restore that after the fact.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Post your OS and version of DP. It makes a big difference here..
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
digital dog
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by digital dog »

I have tried to open old DP5 projects with DP8 Windows. I moved the projects to a Windows formatted drive. I used .dpdoc. The MIDI parts opened in Windows DP8 but I got an error message on the audio files.
James Caughlan, Digital Dog Recording
DP 8.07, Windows 10, Dell Laptop, i7 8550u processor, 16 GB, M-Track interface, Mac Pro, dual quad, 16 GB, 828 mk II, Korg and Yamaha synths, Variax Guitars, other acoustics and electrics, + other toys, 6 bicycles and 2 Corgis, and a partridge . . .
digital dog

Post by digital dog »

I wonder if it is a Mac to Windows problem or maybe and SDII to wav problem?
DP 8.07, Windows 10, Dell Laptop, i7 8550u processor, 16 GB, M-Track interface, Mac Pro, dual quad, 16 GB, 828 mk II, Korg and Yamaha synths, Variax Guitars, other acoustics and electrics, + other toys, 6 bicycles and 2 Corgis, and a partridge . . .
NazRat
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by NazRat »

Search the forum for 'resource fork'. There have been several threads about recovering audio files copied to FAT formatted drives. One of those may have your solution.
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
magicd

Post by magicd »

Windows won't recognize an SD2 file unless it has the .SD2 extension added to the file name.

Dave
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I know this isn't exactly the scope of the question, but just as a proof-of-concept, here is a file from October 10, 1988. DP not only opened it, but assigned the MIDI outs to an internal synth so that it played immediately. No further setup required!

That's not the oldest file I have, but it's pretty close. I also regularly open files from the various years in the 1990s, including DP files with audio. They all still work. (audio files have to be converted to WAV from SDII, but it does that automatically)

So, when we talk about accessing old DP and Performer files, even today's DP has you covered. Your work from 26 years ago is still there, usable.

Shooshie

|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

digital dog wrote:I have tried to open old DP5 projects with DP8 Windows. I moved the projects to a Windows formatted drive. I used .dpdoc. The MIDI parts opened in Windows DP8 but I got an error message on the audio files.
Any reason why the Windows version of DP8 should be able to open Mac DP5? Maybe you could open the DP5 project in the Mac version of DP8, then save as DP8 and then try to open with Windows version of DP8?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
digital dog

Post by digital dog »

I've thought of that but I live in the hollers of Appalachia and haven't been able to get hold of an intel Mac with DP installed, yet.
digital dog

Post by digital dog »

James stated:
Any reason why the Windows version of DP8 should be able to open Mac DP5?
I know this isn't an issue with a lot of DP users, but when I bought the upgrade to DP8 Windows, the MOTU website stated that DP8 would be backwardly compatible to all older DP projects or something to that effect. I haven't looked lately, but I'd bet a dime that it still says that. That is THE reason I bought a Windows machine. I wanted to remix and remaster some old songs using the excellent updated capabilities of DP8. I know that Windows is what most of the world uses and it would make things easier to own a Windows computer. I've been a Mac guy since 1984 and a DP guy since DP2, and I don't like Windows, I've used it a work for years. I waited for almost a year to get the Windows version after I had paid for it and although I find DP8 to be a fine DAW for new projects, I cannot use it as I intended to.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I'd hang in there with MOTU's tech support. Since DP is still relatively new to Windows, they might still be working out some unforeseen kinks.

Did you try the suggestion of adding "sd2" extensions to all the audio. BTW, I used a mac automator macro to add extensions to batches of files. I'm sure Windows has similar or better utilities for this. Report back if that doesn't sort it.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Did you try the suggestion of adding "sd2" extensions to all the audio. BTW, I used a mac automator macro to add extensions to batches of files. I'm sure Windows has similar or better utilities for this. Report back if that doesn't sort it.
MOTU can do all they can to make 8 for Windows open older versions, all created on Macs.

They can't make Windows not require extension names, optional in some versions of the Mac OS, nonexistent in others. Some conversion is going to be required if these files were created in OS 7, 8 and possibly 9. You should be good if the files were created in OS X as long as extensions are checked On in system preferences. Zip the project folders before copying them over.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
digital dog

Post by digital dog »

Some were created in OS9 on a G4 but I think all were opened in OS10.4 on a G5 dual processor, both Power PC Macs. I copied all of my old Projects to a Windows friendly hard drive then on to my Windows machine. The Projects open, but I get a file error message on audio. I tried .dpdoc on the audio files to no avail. I will try your suggestions; opening projects with an Intel Mac running 8, an then saving; I haven't tried the .sd2 extension, and the zip compression is a pretty cool approach. Thanks everyone for your help. If I succeed I'll post my results.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

but I get a file error message
What error?

Zipping the project folder first is important even if copying from Mac to Mac or using DropBox. Certain file info is lost if you don't. There are a few threads on this.

It's not necessary if using Migration Assistant or Time Machine (not Windows issues, of course). Nor do you have to do zip when emailing files as it's done automatically.