Can someone help with V-Rack Tracks & Colors

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
guitardood
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Can someone help with V-Rack Tracks & Colors

Post by guitardood »

I'm in the process of setting up my similar-across-mixes v-rack and moved a bunch of aux busses to a v-rack. I then went to change their colors and came to realize that you can only change them via the 'Tracks' window, afaik. I also found that once a track is in a v-rack, there is no getting it back into a 'Tracks' window. Unless I'm missing something. I know, RTFM, but I'm hoping one of you kind souls will take pity and help an overwhelmed-with-DP-awesomeness noob. :D

EDIT: One more thing, about 4 of the aux busses were disabled when I moved them to the v-rack and now can't figure how to re-enable them.

Chuck Fletcher on Reverb Nation
Chuck Fletcher on Facebook

"Life is like a box of chocolates. You know, eventually you're going to get the one filled with alien-like nasty tasting goo and have to spit it out and say YUCK".
bayswater

Re: Can someone help with V-Rack Tracks & Colors

Post by bayswater »

Have the Chunks window and the Tracks window open at the same time. Drag the chunk that is your V-Rack into the Tracks window.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
guitardood

Post by guitardood »

That worked perfect.

Thank you!

Chuck Fletcher on Reverb Nation
Chuck Fletcher on Facebook

"Life is like a box of chocolates. You know, eventually you're going to get the one filled with alien-like nasty tasting goo and have to spit it out and say YUCK".
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

You can change the track color directly in the V-Rack.
You just have to option-click (or control-click) somewhere near the track color label. That'll open the color palette.

Sorry I'm not more precise, but I'm not near DP now.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MDesigner

Post by MDesigner »

Stumbled upon this doing a search. Thanks, Felix, ctrl-clicking the track name worked. I'd like to point out that dragging the V-Rack into the Tracks window is not the solution though. This actually duplicates that chunk into your track listing! I noticed that when a new VE Pro instance opened up.
Sam Hulick
Composer
http://samhulick.com
Social Media: [ Twitter | Facebook ]
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Others have answered most of these questions. I'm just summing it all up in one post, and adding a couple of things.
guitardood wrote:I'm in the process of setting up my similar-across-mixes v-rack and moved a bunch of aux busses to a v-rack. I then went to change their colors and came to realize that you can only change them via the 'Tracks' window, afaik.
CONTROL CLICK the color swatch in the Mixing Board to change it color in V-Racks (or any other track in the Mixing Board)

guitardood wrote:I also found that once a track is in a v-rack, there is no getting it back into a 'Tracks' window.
Drag V-Rack from Chunks Window to the Tracks Overview Window (left-hand panel) to add all its tracks to the main sequence. They will appear in a Track Folder with the name of the V-Rack. This is a quick way of adding a full audio setup to any MIDI-only sequence.

You can then delete the V-Rack, or merely disable it in the Chunks Window.
guitardood wrote:Unless I'm missing something. I know, RTFM, but I'm hoping one of you kind souls will take pity and help an overwhelmed-with-DP-awesomeness noob. :D
You're doing fine. I suggest one thing: assume that DP will do what you want, then set out to find it in the manual. Sometimes that can be a daunting task, but it always leads to other information that you can use, too. The PDF manual is quite searchable. The online help guide is also a very fast way to learn a lot.

To access online help, type COMMAND-SHIFT-?

You will see a list drop down from the Help Menu. Choose any item with the "life-preserver" next to it, and you'll get a page from the help guide. From this page, you can navigate to other pages by clicking the topics (essentially, "previous" and "Next") at the bottom of the page.

There are a few things that DP either does not do or doesn't do the way other apps do them. Regions is one of those things. While the Tracks Overview Window shows regions, they are defined in ways that may seem a little arcane. See that in Preferences/Tracks Overview/Phrase Settings. But you'll find that for most things, if you can imagine it, DP probably has a way of doing it.

One place you might look to learn ALL the commands that DP has to offer is the COMMANDS WINDOW. (SHIFT-L) That window is worth printing out. You may also want to customize it. Notice that for any command, you can attach two keyboard shortcuts and a MIDI shortcut. This window will teach you what's available in DP that may not be documented elsewhere.
guitardood wrote:EDIT: One more thing, about 4 of the aux busses were disabled when I moved them to the v-rack and now can't figure how to re-enable them.
In the Mixing Board, below the color swatch, you'll see a tiny arrow at the left side of the channel strip. Click that arrow to drop down a menu as shown here:

Cheers,

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|