V-Racks, Large Templates, and Workflow

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
BKK-OZ
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: V-Racks, Large Templates, and Workflow

Post by BKK-OZ »

toodamnhip wrote:I had asked Killa for pics of templates....
I wonder if there would be any point in sharing the templates themselves?
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

BKK-OZ wrote:
toodamnhip wrote:I had asked Killa for pics of templates....
I wonder if there would be any point in sharing the templates themselves?
It would probably be as useful as sharing compressor or EQ settings :mrgreen:

Looking at other people's templates can be good to get different ideas or check out other workflows, but since they reflect personal idiosyncrasies, you rarely find a happy match (unless you like a general idea and adapt it to make it your own way).
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

FMiguelez wrote:It would probably be as useful as sharing compressor or EQ settings :mrgreen:
So, you got any compressor or EQ settings I can have a look at?
:wink: :wink: :wink:
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

toodamnhip wrote:I had asked Killa for pics of templates, but this is all so mentally intensive when “thought about”, that any pics from anyone would help.... :D
I don't have an easy method of posting pics here. I've done it before, with one of those free pic hosting sites, but..

I tried V-Racks for a while, but I ended up going back to having VIs as actual tracks. It just offers more flexibility, and I can see everything in the TO. This is really important for my console/controller as well, as it doesn't see the V-Racks, only what is an actual track.

I don't know if there is any real processing gains to be had with V-Racks or not, but until it becomes a problem, I'm sticking with full-on tracks.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

If you switch sequences a lot and use the same VIs they need to reload every time. Not so with vracks. Big time saver especially on multi-cue projects.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:If you switch sequences a lot and use the same VIs they need to reload every time. Not so with vracks. Big time saver especially on multi-cue projects.
Absolutely right! That was the biggest reason I tried V-Racks out for VIs in the first place. I really wanted it to work for my workflow, but alas..

With V-Racks, any track volume automation would have to be done with MIDI, which just doesn't have the precision I need.. I could just take the time to render the tracks to audio, but then I would have to be absolutely committed to the part the way it is, because to change a note later would constitute opening the whole thing back up, an even bigger time waster..

Also, if I'm going to render MIDI into audio, I like to use the Freeze command (rather than BTD), because it sets everything up for me, turns off the old track, puts it into the right outputs, aux sends, etc. I can't seem to get the V-Rack tracks to freeze, I guess because they're not selectable in the TO.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
frankf

Post by frankf »

Killahurts wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:If you switch sequences a lot and use the same VIs they need to reload every time. Not so with vracks. Big time saver especially on multi-cue projects.
Absolutely right! That was the biggest reason I tried V-Racks out for VIs in the first place. I really wanted it to work for my workflow, but alas..

With V-Racks, any track volume automation would have to be done with MIDI, which just doesn't have the precision I need.. I could just take the time to render the tracks to audio, but then I would have to be absolutely committed to the part the way it is, because to change a note later would constitute opening the whole thing back up, an even bigger time waster..

Also, if I'm going to render MIDI into audio, I like to use the Freeze command (rather than BTD), because it sets everything up for me, turns off the old track, puts it into the right outputs, aux sends, etc. I can't seem to get the V-Rack tracks to freeze, I guess because they're not selectable in the TO.
My VIs live in a V-rack. I return the main outputs via a named bus to an aux track. Same with additional bundles published by the VI. Set the VI instance level at 0 in the v-rack and forget about it. All the automation, freezing that you mention you need are done with the aux tracks. Some here bus directly to a stereo track instead of an aux. Either way you get all the advantages of the v-rack plus the features you want and benefits of v-racks that MLC mentioned.

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
ironchef_marc

Post by ironchef_marc »

Yes indeed you simply return your V-Racks to an aux in TO you can freeze and do regular volume automation.

Another advantage I find (as I explained in an earlier post here) your template can have your favorite sounds/modules/VI etc. all set up (routed and labelled) but all disabled so when starting a new project or new cue you simply enable what you need. That way your template will load fast.
Last edited by ironchef_marc on Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New Rig |MAC Studio | OS12.6 | 64GB RAM | Storage | miniStack STX 18TB, (14TB HDD, 4TB SSD) | Crucial X8 4TB SSD |
Softwares | DP 11.22 | VEPRO7 | Audio Interface | M4 |
--
old rig | MAC Pro 2 X 2.26 GHz, 8-Core | 10.11.6 | 32 GB RAM | DP9.52 | 2408mk3 | MTP AV
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

You can set VE Pro to “preserve” and “decouple”, this will allow you to change DP sequences without changing VE Pro.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

toodamnhip wrote:
You can set VE Pro to “preserve” and “decouple”, this will allow you to change DP sequences without changing VE Pro.
+1

One just needs to be VERY careful when using those modes. It's easy to accidentally mess up what they load (or what DP saves from them) with certain combinations of the above. I always save the VE Pro projects locally in case some of that happens (and it has happened lots of times here)

Never the less, I still like having all my VIs in V-Rakcs. Currently, I've been thinking about returning my reverbs and delays to the TO and duplicate this chunk as many times to match the number of pieces I may want, especially if I modify my template to accommodate more than one piece per project (if they are too different they would need different FXs settings, and the plug parameters can't be automated in V-Racks).
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

frankf wrote:My VIs live in a V-rack. I return the main outputs via a named bus to an aux track. Same with additional bundles published by the VI. Set the VI instance level at 0 in the v-rack and forget about it. All the automation, freezing that you mention you need are done with the aux tracks. Some here bus directly to a stereo track instead of an aux. Either way you get all the advantages of the v-rack plus the features you want and benefits of v-racks that MLC mentioned.
Awesome.. I never even thought of that! The only issue I can see is that (IIRC) DP has a limit of 64 busses, that's 32 stereo busses. I have 12 (6 stereo) busses that feed FX sends, so that leaves 20 stereo VIs I could have.. is that accurate?

Even if so, that may be enough for most of the work I do.
frankf

Post by frankf »

Killahurts wrote:
Awesome.. I never even thought of that! The only issue I can see is that (IIRC) DP has a limit of 64 busses, that's 32 stereo busses. I have 12 (6 stereo) busses that feed FX sends, so that leaves 20 stereo VIs I could have.. is that accurate?

Even if so, that may be enough for most of the work I do.
You know I've never counted and I have a lot of busses. I'll have to take a look at my templates and the manual. My reverbs live in a (separate) v-rack also, some, like Altiverb with multiple instances and I bus to them and from them. The model I use for all this is really that of a hardware mixer with external hardware synth modules and samplers and effects that I "patch" to/from

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

You can increase your amount of DP busses in, if I remember correctly, the 'studio setup' window. I don't know the name. But I do know you get that prefs box when you option click on the 'gear' - 'configure hardware' icon tool.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

To my knowledge, DP has no limits of any kind except RAM. It's always been like that.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

One only has access to 100 stereo internal DP buses (I wish we could have at least twice as many).

That's one reason I always recommed using AUDIO tracks (and not Aux tracks) for the returns of VIs. Otherwise, one just wastes buses for nothing (if you want to print them easily). It's just redundant...