Steven Slate Raven MTi

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
wonder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Steven Slate Raven MTi

Post by wonder »

This might've already been covered. But.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pages/sl ... cid=204099
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
Dwetmaster

Re: Steven Slate Raven MTi

Post by Dwetmaster »

Wow. I thought it would have been way more expensive than that.
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
wonder

Post by wonder »

Dwetmaster wrote:Wow. I thought it would have been way more expensive than that.
Me too.

But isn't that just a massive touch screen?
Maybe I'm missing something ... But if the screen goes down, you're prob out a few dollars
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
chaim

Post by chaim »

Dwetmaster wrote:Wow. I thought it would have been way more expensive than that.
Remember this is the smaller cut down version.

Still interested how well it works with dp.

If anybody get's it, please chime in! 8)
Mac Pro 2X quad core 2.26 Ghz, 22 GB RAM, OS 10.8.4 | DP 8.05 | 2408MKII

Beta Tester for Toontrack
zandurian

Post by zandurian »

yes - I'd like to know how dp works with that too
----------------------------------
Mac Pro (early 2009 - originally 4,1 - flashed to 5,1) 2 x 3.42 GHz 6-Core Xeon X5690, 64 gigs PC3-10600 RAM, OS 10.13.3, DP9.52, UAD2 duo, UAD2 solo,
Superior drummer 2, Mach 5-3, Ivory, PCIe 424, BL modded 24i/o, MIDI express XT, unisyn, Melodyne 2, Izotope RX2, Addictive Drums, Pianoteq
chaim

Post by chaim »

Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

I was under the impression from S. Slate that Raven runs under Mackie Control, so why wouldn't it run in DP?

If DP doesn't support this I wouldn't think of buying it, of course (I'm talking about the big Raven). The only thing I can think of that would makes sense for MOTU not to support it, would be that they are planning their own controller in the near future.. but I have thought they were doing that before, and turned out nothing ever happened.

MOTU not designing and manufacturing their own kick-ass console/controller has always been a deep mystery to me..

Next time I'm in Cambridge I may just walk in there and ask them. :wink:
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
chaim

Post by chaim »

As I understand it, the MTX and the MTi work out of the box with any DAW as a software control surface nothing less than any other hardware control surface out there. It's only the additional features that Steven demonstrates how you can directly touch control protools, these features need to be specifically programed for the DAW in question and needs the cooperation of the DAW company.

chaim

Post by chaim »

Steven Slate says:
I will speak with MagicDavid, but to be frank, what I would need is to see a list of around 1,000 DP users who would get an MTi if we supported it. Creating a RAVEN control for a DAW is very expensive, so it would have to be proven to be worth it. DP was my very first DAW so I mean no disrespect, but it appears to not have the same large user base as Logic, Cubase, and Pro Tools. But perhaps I'm wrong.. these are my assumptions.

Cheers,
Steven

Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

chaim wrote:Steven Slate says:
I will speak with MagicDavid, but to be frank, what I would need is to see a list of around 1,000 DP users who would get an MTi if we supported it. Creating a RAVEN control for a DAW is very expensive, so it would have to be proven to be worth it. DP was my very first DAW so I mean no disrespect, but it appears to not have the same large user base as Logic, Cubase, and Pro Tools. But perhaps I'm wrong.. these are my assumptions.

Cheers,
Steven
Ah, I see... It's a profit deal.
DP10.13
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

Maybe if steven actually knew how many film guys used DP....

or maybe he just hated Lord of the Rings, the hobbit et al. LOL
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
chaim

Post by chaim »

It goes hand in hand with the SOS thing....

Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

labman wrote:Maybe if steven actually knew how many film guys used DP....

or maybe he just hated Lord of the Rings, the hobbit et al. LOL
They never think about composers, only the post houses that do the final work which all use Protools (when they're asked, anyway).
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

From the answer, I take it the DP specific development would include hardware, not just software. Hard to image that a unit designed to be updated via software as OSs and DAWs develop would need a minimum of $2.5M in gross sales to justify software support to make it work with DP. On the other hand, if it is not easily updated or modified via software changes, it's going to be quite costly to keep one of these running for any amount of time.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

chaim wrote:Steven Slate says:

Cheers,
Steven
Ouch, that’s a drag. I had just written Stephen too. Woa, DP needs to be promoted better to the trades, with multiple ad campaigns espousing various unique features that ONLY DP can do...., I have said this for years. And every time I say it, I feel like an outsider here. Well, whether liked or not around here, I speak what I see as the truth. Maybe MOTU will see this and take heed. Ouch!!
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc