Steven Slate Raven MTi

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Steven Slate Raven MTi

Post by labman »

FWIW, one of my pals Wes Lachot (http://weslachot.com) says the ravens screen reflections are not an issue.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
audiobox
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by audiobox »

I'm glad to know there's now the intention to write specific integration code for DP. However, I'd like to start integrating the MTi into my workflow now (DP8).

I understand that for PT and Logic in Raven 2.0, macros have been written using combinations of commands that utilize the menus of those specific DAWs. Pre-DP release, it seems you could use the Raven's ability to write macros to cover much of that ground.

It seems that exactly pixel-aligning the Raven mixer with the PT or Logic mixer is a go/no go critical requirement. Is this possible currently with DP8?

If I buy an MTi today and plug it into the second DVI output of my video card, would I be able to utilize the screen space of the MTi and my current 30" monitor as I would if I had added another standard monitor?

The larger question that overarches those mentioned above: what exactly would I be able to do and not do before the DP specific Raven software is released?

Craig
audiobox

Post by audiobox »

I posted on the Raven Forum and asked about the limitations of using a Raven pre-DP release. Here's the answer:

Me: Does this mean I could use touch control in DP as you would use a mouse click and drag, but that's it. There would be no other functionality available?

Slate: Exactly, until the Digital Performer build is released, control is limited. Your finger will act as the mouse.

Me: Could you give a few examples so I know the type of functions you're alluding to?

Slate: Raven contains many unique features to enhance DAW functionality with multi-touch. Some of these include the Nav-Pad, Floating Mixer, Close Plugin Button, Close All Floating Windows Button, Floating/Customizable Tool Bar, Double Tap To Zero Faders... and the list goes on.

You can find many videos on the SlateTV page to get an even greater understanding of Raven.
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

Compared to the cost of a Mackie MCU and its expanders - that thing looks darn cheap and more useful besides. I'm in.

Also, I believe a dual mode is in the works for ganging them together. Smart play.
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.