Automate MIDI plugins?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
arumdevil
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Automate MIDI plugins?

Post by arumdevil »

I'm recording some piano pieces into DP as MIDI tracks, and applying the real-time Quantize plugin on some of the tracks in the mixer inserts. I wanted to automate bypassing said plugin at some points in the track, but it doesn't seem to work. Is this not possible? recording automation for the volume slider on the MIDI track works as expected, as does automating the bypass for audio plugins, but no joy on the MIDI Quantize plugin :(
regards,
arum

MacBook Air core i7 1.7ghz, 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD , UltraLite MKI FW, StudioLogic 990pro, DP9
williemyers

Re: Automate MIDI plugins?

Post by williemyers »

I want to "bump" this post as I'm finding that same problem with a different MIDI-plug "Time Shift", that is...it's "ByPass" won't automate? Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
stubbsonic

Re: Automate MIDI plugins?

Post by stubbsonic »

Would be useful.

One workaround would be to create two copies of the track (keep the original muted just for safety/backup). With copy 1, set your plugin as you want it. With copy 2, no plug in. And just delete sections of the track from each of the copies until you've got what you need. I suppose with that, you wouldn't need the plug-in, you could just shift/quantize permanently (since you have the original back there).
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com