From 10.6.8 directly to 10.8.4 ?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
dinobass
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: From 10.6.8 directly to 10.8.4 ?

Post by dinobass »

I just did the jump from Snow leopard to Mountain Lion and everything went smoothly
Mac Studio M2 Ultra 128G RAM OSX 14.3, 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, UA Apollo x6, UA Apollo Twin, UAD-2 Satellite (x2)
jo c

Post by jo c »

I know the original post was a couple of years ago now, but seeing I've been searching these topics very recently - I just successfully migrated from DP6.03/MacOS10.6.8 to DP8.06/MacOS10.8.5. The parameters for my migration were the long-overdue purchase of a new laptop - the Ivy Bridge-era MBP doesn't do Snow Leopard, which I only found out after buying it (silly me for assuming all i5's were equal in this regard). Also, I wanted to maintain full backward compatibility so i could still use the old white Macbook as a fully operational backup machine. To make this work with the plug-ins, particularly Waves, the trick was to exclusively run DP8 in 32-bit mode - contrary to everything I've read, this actually let me retain the Waves V8 plugs, so I can now open the same projects in DP8.06/MacOS10.6.8 and DP8.06/MacOS10.8.5, both running Waves V8 plugs, and no issues that I can tell (as yet). Oh and I'm also still able to use my Digi 002r - hurrah. (It works with the Avid Family 11.1.3 driver, even though that is post-002; the 10.3.3 driver wouldn't even let DP open.)

So if you're in a similar position to me, don't believe the hype that Waves V8 won't work with DP8.06/MacOS10.8.5 - it will if you stick with 32-bit (Get Info), and to me the advantages of having a fully compatible backup machine totally outweigh the advantages of 64-bit. Yay for old gear and software chugging on and being able to open projects from (almost) ten years ago. (Even Pluggo still works in DP8.06/MacOS10.8.5!)
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Staying 32bit compatible is not a good long term strategy. Why limit yourself?

I'm able to open projects in DP 8 64bit that I created as far back as DP 2.7. Yes, there are incompatibilities with a few discontinued plugins but I've had no problem remastering with better sounding current 64bit plugs.

I keep DP 7.24 active to listen to the 32bit version when necessary -- with 32Lives, I haven't done that in two years. I never open DP 8 in 32bit as these's never a need.

32Lives is great for getting around the Carbon/Cocoa issue with old plugs -- an issue for anyone running OS 10.8.x or later.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
jo c

Post by jo c »

mikehalloran wrote:Staying 32bit compatible is not a good long term strategy. Why limit yourself?
In principle that's a very valid point, but as per usual practical considerations make for less straightforward choices. My main reason for upgrading was that I wanted to have two fully compatible systems running - I've been working on some quite unforgiving projects recently with a few system wobbles, and for peace of mind/'failsafety' I decided I needed a duplicate backup system. And one of these two machines happens to be my old 2007 macbook - that I just don't see having a very good time with MacOS10.8! [Just reading up on that again it looks like 10.7 is as high as it'll go.] Plus a lot of my legacy projects (and half of the album I'm currently working on) rely on Waves V8, and if I were to switch this older machine to 64-bit/Waves V9, I fear a lot of the old V8 settings would get lost in the transition. That said - do you (or anyone else) have experience with opening Waves V8-based projects with V9? Being able to do that could actually be the clincher...
Thanks!