From 10.6.8 directly to 10.8.4 ?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
lito
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

From 10.6.8 directly to 10.8.4 ?

Post by lito »

Hello,
I have Snow Leopard and will make an upgrade to Mountain Lion in DP 8.04.
Is it possible to jump from SL to ML directly without problems especially with older projects from SL ? Of course I save all my projects on my separate hard disk, but maybe are there other problems I should considering ?

Greets Lito
Only a Tele is good enough !!!
David Polich

Re: From 10.6.8 directly to 10.8.4 ?

Post by David Polich »

It's not a problem per se, but always be aware that it's possible some of your plug-ins or VI's may not work after the upgrade. Same for some of your software (for example, older versions of Microsoft Office, Macromedia stuff,
etc.)

Best to check the websites for all your plug-ins and VI's and make sure of which ones are compatible with 10.8.x.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

I'm about to do the same thing. Lots of things to check and evaluate. Just for one example, if you have Masterwriter it would be best to deauthorize your computer before upgrading, then reauthorize it after without having to contact tech support to get an additional/substitute authorization. If you've got Waves, it means having to bump up to version 9 from version 8.

Don't want to hijack your thread, Lito, but I'm also interested in any tips that might be common.

I've got to take my 2011 iMac in for a LCD fix, so thought it was a convenient time to partition my 2T drive into two roughly equal sections. I've cloned my 10.6.8 system with its years of accumulated migratory bloat of roughly 700g of data. So I can put that back into one 1T partition and continue exactly as I have.

I'm torn between copying the same data into the other partition and just 'upgrading in place' and dealing with the Waves upgrade, etc., deleting or upgrading my old MS Office and Toast on a by case basis.

But I'm also tempted to just start my Mountain Lion partition from scratch, painfully loading in DVD's and upgrading virtually everything, but keeping the bloat factor down. A 'lean and mean' ML OS that could be cloned the next time I get a new laptop, for example.

Perhaps it would be good to make a third partition (how big- 60g? 100g?): this would be the ML 'start from scratch' partition, while using the larger ML as the usual 'everything' sandbox. There's a good chance that in the not too distant future I would no longer really need to go back to the SL portion and could just jettision it en masse.

I'd love to cut the bloat but it's also comforting to be able to go back to countless documents, downloads, and life history that often is extremely handy to have at the ready. You know how it is with paper docs, you never need them until about two weeks after you throw them out.

Hope you find some of these ruminations useful to you as well, Lito, looking forward to some additional tips from those who have already made the jump. Always a little nervous before zapping that main drive!
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

http://www.rfjmusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Tobor wrote:I've got to take my 2011 iMac in for a LCD fix, so thought it was a convenient time to partition my 2T drive into two roughly equal sections. I've cloned my 10.6.8 system with its years of accumulated migratory bloat of roughly 700g of data. So I can put that back into one 1T partition and continue exactly as I have.

I'm torn between copying the same data into the other partition and just 'upgrading in place' and dealing with the Waves upgrade, etc., deleting or upgrading my old MS Office and Toast on a by case basis.
I partitioned my iMac drive, leaving 10.6.8 in one, putting 10.8 on a second from scratch, and setting a third partition for data files I thought would be use by both. In retrospect, I should have simply upgraded the whole thing to 10.8 and left it all in one partition. The upgrade process works well, there are no real advantages to partitioning, and the number of times I've had to boot 10.6.8 has been so few it would have been ok to just use another Mac that still runs it.

If you do partition, consider that it's easy to partition the drive, but not so easy to remove partitions so the space is recovered and usable by other partitions. Best to understand how partitioning works well enough that you can easily collapse to one partition without having to do installations from scratch.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
lito

Post by lito »

Thank you very much for your responses, my decision makes it a little easier for 10.8.4. :wink:
I will give you a response !

Best Regards
Lito
Only a Tele is good enough !!!
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I can't speak for DP 8, as I haven't upgraded yet. :( But, I did make the jump on my main machine from SL to ML using migration assistant (or whatever it's called in ML). The transition was almost seamless. A few little things to trash, a few things to re-authorize, but mostly smooth sailing. Been running without a hitch in ML for a few weeks.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

bayswater wrote:
If you do partition, consider that it's easy to partition the drive, but not so easy to remove partitions so the space is recovered and usable by other partitions. Best to understand how partitioning works well enough that you can easily collapse to one partition without having to do installations from scratch.
Thanks, Bayswater. Yes, I can see how all of a sudden I'd not only have one bloated partition, but two. I recently upgraded my old black Macbook from Tiger to SL and added an extra partition which though small has done nothing but cramp my space. Lesson learned, I guess. I can certainly keep my cloned SL drive (on external FW-TB adaptor) around for awhile.

I'm confused on how you can collapse to one partition w/out installations- how?

I would also like to be able to be selective in what I migrate if I use Migration Assistant (choosing apps etc.), but it always seems to be an all or nothing affair, so might as well just clone the drive back over and upgrade thereafter.

Come to think of it, I've already cloned my working drive. According to your findings, I might as well just keep what I've got without partitioning, take three Advil, and jump to ML right now. I'd like to start using 64 bit, as Live and Reason have expanded their memory usage to the point where DP is sluggish if I have either one rewired. My chief concern is having DP8 and 7.24 on the same drive causing some confusion, same with Waves V8 with V9. I'm confident that things would work out well with ML and DP, but enough people have retrenched to 7.24 that I'd like an escape plan and be able to use DP7.24 on ML (with Waves V8) if all doesn't go smoothly.
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Tobor wrote:I'm confused on how you can collapse to one partition w/out installations- how?
Looking at how the partitions are displayed in DiskUtility, I believe you can erase a partition lower in the table and expand one higher up to take the space. But you can't delete the partition at the top and then have a lower partition move up into that space. Makes it difficult because if you partition the drive, it will happily move your data to the top of the drive and add an ML partition underneath your current SL partition, but because the SL partition is at the top, you can't release its space to the ML partition later. And you can't add a new partition at the top of the drive.
Tobor wrote:My chief concern is having DP8 and 7.24 on the same drive causing some confusion
Yes, that's why I did the partition, after reading about the conflicts between DP7 and 8. But I haven't launched DP 7 since that day. In fact, I don't think I've booted into SL at all.
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

bayswater wrote:
Tobor wrote:My chief concern is having DP8 and 7.24 on the same drive causing some confusion
Yes, that's why I did the partition, after reading about the conflicts between DP7 and 8. But I haven't launched DP 7 since that day. In fact, I don't think I've booted into SL at all.
Hey thanks again. A couple more questions......

Are you running DP8 at 64 bit?

How did you upgrade to ML: migration assistant or just upgrade in place?

It certainly takes a lot of time and effort to stand still on a moving platform....another OS around the corner as well.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Tobor wrote:
Hey thanks again. A couple more questions......

Are you running DP8 at 64 bit?
Yes, always. jBridgeM covered a few 32 bit plugins in the short term. Still waiting for IKM to get a 64 bit player for their samples.
Tobor wrote: How did you upgrade to ML: migration assistant or just upgrade in place?
I've used both. On my main audio system I used the assistant because I put ML on its own partition. But in place upgrades on my laptop, which has all the same apps, though not all the plugins, I did it in place. Both worked without incident.
Tobor wrote: It certainly takes a lot of time and effort to stand still on a moving platform....another OS around the corner as well.
Yes, and they're planning on annual updates. I think the only workable strategy from now on is to update the OS only when there is a clear improvement in the applications' performance. I find the CW in full screen and better window management worth it, but haven't heard of anything in 10.9 worth the plunge yet.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Jbridge doesn't host AU plugs, only VST. Plogue Bidule will host both.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

bayswater wrote:Yes, and they're planning on annual updates. I think the only workable strategy from now on is to update the OS only when there is a clear improvement in the applications' performance. I find the CW in full screen and better window management worth it, but haven't heard of anything in 10.9 worth the plunge yet.
Agreed. It took me a long while to finally let go of Tiger and went directly to 10.6.8. ML seems to be a good rung to park for awhile as well.

When the latest app updates start to become 'Lion and up', you can feel the gentle push turn to shove.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

if you have Masterwriter it would be best to deauthorize your computer before upgrading,
Same with Final Draft 8 (I have both). If you don't, it's a tech support call to both companies ... been there, done that more than once, too.

If just updating the OS, DP will not need reauthorizing.

If starting from scratch and restoring from Time Machine or using Migration Assistant (either is fine) then DP will need to be reauthorized - if 7.24 from the disk; if 8 follow the instructions. If earlier than 7.24, must be updated to 7.24 then your 7.x CD will work.

The only reason for keeping a 10.6.8 partition is if you have a program that just will not work under 10.8. My daughter wanted to run the Danish language version of Rosetta Stone on her Mac - the company never updated Danish to Intel - so I wiped her drive, created a small 10.6.8 partition for her and installed the language program, Word and a few other goodies. I restored the 10.8.4 partition from Time Machine and now she has a dual boot system. TM backs up both partitions, BTW and she is happy.

True story: In 2011, I had a long conversation with the Aide-de-Camp to the Queen of Denmark. He got the gig because, like the Queen's family, he speaks French. Anyway, he called his native tongue a "useless language - only 8 1/2 million people speak it."

We were in the chapel at Elsinore - Hamlet's castle had it been built a few hundred years earlier. Due to safety concerns (you can see my wheelchair), I was not allowed in the castle and spent my time there while my family took the tour.

Anyway, while we were talking, telling stories in French and English, a group of English tourists entered and asked if he had ever seen ghosts. Winking at me, in his gravest voice he replied, "In the 300 years I have worked here, not once!"
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

mikehalloran wrote: The only reason for keeping a 10.6.8 partition is if you have a program that just will not work under 10.8. My daughter wanted to run the Danish language version of Rosetta Stone on her Mac - the company never updated Danish to Intel - so I wiped her drive, created a small 10.6.8 partition for her and installed the language program, Word and a few other goodies. I restored the 10.8.4 partition from Time Machine and now she has a dual boot system. TM backs up both partitions, BTW and she is happy.

True story: In 2011, I had a long conversation with the Aide-de-Camp to the Queen of Denmark.
LOL. On topic: I now feel that would indeed be worthwhile to zap my main drive and add a small, maybe 200g partition on my 2T drive whether for Snow Leopard for awhile or for crafting a lean and mean future OS. Clone the present SL drive back to the first partition and then just....upgrade.

Off topic: Denmark's pretty amazing, no? I lived in Copenhagen for nearly three years in the early to mid 70's, and have been back a couple times in the last decade. It's time for another visit. Amazing place and amazing people. Thanks for sharing.