Facts about using DP Live

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
jaykeys
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Facts about using DP Live

Post by jaykeys »

Hi forum,
as far as I know nobody ever mentioned out if DP REALLY fits the bill of using it as a live performance tool.
For example as a keyboard player I need the possibility to split my keyboard up in different areas with different sounds, change velocity curves, etc.

What is obviously possible and what is not?
Shooshie

Re: Facts about using DP Live

Post by Shooshie »

With Digital Performer you can run a show like Madonna's, Beyoncé's, the late Michael Jackson's, or any of dozens of other professional touring shows. It will do everything from music to lights to stage machinery to keyboards. I'm not saying you'll figure all this out in the next week, but if you want to know what's back there doing the heavy lifting of many of the largest shows on the road, you're looking at it. So… what's possible? Just about anything, if you are willing to go the distance. What's not possible? I don't really know.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
jbyerly1

Post by jbyerly1 »

Ive been using DP live for years. Started with Performer 5.5. IMO it's extremely stable. A lot depends on the your keyboard as far as capabilities. DP will not limit you as far as possibilities with Live shows. The more you know about operating MIDI and programing will be your success.
Mac Pro 4,1, OS 10.9.5, 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 32 GB 1066 MHz, DP 8.07, Apogee Ensemble, UA SOLO 610, Euphonix MC Control & MC mix, JBL Monitors, Ocean Way Drums Gold, Komplete 7, Waves Classic Studio Bundle,Stylus RMX, iZotope RX,1TB glyph Drive, Carvin 6 string Bass
http://www.HorizonEntertainment-NC.com
jaykeys

Post by jaykeys »

jbyerly1,
seems like YOU are my man ... :wink:
I would very much appreciate it if you could tell me HOW to set up two or more VSTs with split point(s) i.e. playing a bass guitar from B0 to B2 and a Piano from C3 to C8.
:love:
Kurt Cowling

Post by Kurt Cowling »

I love DP but Apple Mainstage is what you want for live hosting of VIs like this. Insanely cheap on the App Store.
DP 11.1, Monterey, 2021 MacBook Pro M1-Max, 2017 iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Stylus RMX, EZ Drummer 2, MachFive 3.11, Real Guitar2, Real Strat, Sample Modeling trumpet, saxes, trombone, Fr Horn/Tuba. Audio Modeling clarinets, double reeds, flutes, strings, Kontakt 6, Flux Pure Limiter 3, PSP Vintage Warmer, PSP MixPack, PSP StereoPack, PSP Impressor, Altiverb 7, Izotope RX8 Standard, Yamaha S-90ES, Yamaha MOXF-8, Yamaha MX60, Sibelius subscription, Adobe CC and Motion 5.
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Even better than MainStage: Jambalaya, written by one of our own, SixStringGeek. I've been using it for the past 2.5 years and it's been phenomenal and extreme stable. I tried using MainStage once, and it doesn't hold a candle to Jambalaya, as far as I'm concerned. Neither of these programs have sequencers, though, so if you're looking to do more than use it as a VI/effects host (Jambalaya also has an audio through so you can use it as an effects rack for live sound), you'll need to use something like DP, which I would find extremely cumbersome for actual MIDI performance.

DP has some major drawbacks for advanced MIDI live performance. Its inability to route keyboard ranges, lack of a live performance interface, are huge problems. I know it's the schitz for studio work, and maybe for MANAGING live shows (lights, aux audio, backing tracks, etc), when you're actually performing, and counting on using it 100% alongside your instrument, you don't want to have to mess with all of the things you would need to do just to do basic performance.

We need to be realistic, DP has never meant to be a live performance tool. As a keyboardist, I want 95% of my attention to be used for playing, and I can't see how I could do that with DP as it is. Maybe if I made a number of Max auxilery patches (I only need one for Jambalaya), and built a new interface out of the "console" window, but that's ridiculous.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

+1 to everyone's posts. I agree DP is more suited to recording studio or live shows, or in a situation where and engineer can man the GUI during the show. if you want something that is pretty hands off to host your keyboard sounds, I don't think I would recommend it either.

For me the big thing I need is to be able to send a single program change from my MIDI keyboard to the computer and have the right set of instruments loaded up. I'm still not sure if Mainstage or Jambalaya can do that...but I just bought Mainstage, thanks for pointing that out on App store, I've been wanting to get that without having to buy logic for years. It even comes with some instruments and sounds, so its a bargain at $29

On the PC there are two solutions, Cantible and my favorite gigging host of all......Brainspawn Forte. I am about to build a small windows PC dedicated for gigging and it will use Forte as the host. They have thought of everything you can imagine for live gigging situations in that program and it even has a test mode to put all your plugins to a rigorous test to see if anything will crash. Its extremely low latency and most importantly...it has the ability to listen for a program change on MIDI and then do a scene change for what instruments and presets are sounding. It can even make sure to keep certain instruments loaded in the background when not in a current scene (in order to keep large samples in memory so the next song that needs it will change fast. etc etc.. IMHO, its the best, but windows only unfortunately.

I think somewhere along the line I picked up Jambilaya, I should pull that out and try it some more.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

For years, I've done loading VIs and FX thru scrolling sequences within DP.
Playing many different alternate instruments, I use foot controlling.
My main scrolling tool was a TC Electronic G-Minor (out of production) and is now a Keith McMillen Softstep (a true wonder).

IMHO, using the same software in every situation turns you more responsive at it.
I never found a situation where DP did not fill my own expectations: composing, rehearsing, tracking, editing, mixing, mastering, playing live.

BTW, as many have already said here, *the lighter, the better* when it comes to live situations. And I mean a light DP project.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

How are you able to scroll between sequences with a foot controller? Can you please elaborate?
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
jbyerly1

Post by jbyerly1 »

you can set up almost any mac or MIDI key to call up a sequence.
Mac Pro 4,1, OS 10.9.5, 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 32 GB 1066 MHz, DP 8.07, Apogee Ensemble, UA SOLO 610, Euphonix MC Control & MC mix, JBL Monitors, Ocean Way Drums Gold, Komplete 7, Waves Classic Studio Bundle,Stylus RMX, iZotope RX,1TB glyph Drive, Carvin 6 string Bass
http://www.HorizonEntertainment-NC.com
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

In my opinion the only drawback to DP live is the lack of ability to split a controller keyboard to various instruments in DP. This can be done in the controller keyboard usually, but it would be much better to have DP do it. You could set up DP Chunks with program change messages, and have the instruments in V-Racks so that it called up different instruments, presets and split points. :headbang:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
screamin_keys

Post by screamin_keys »

Another horse in the race is the Muse Receptor. It can host VI's, VST effects, and there is a version that is preloaded with Komplete. You can also hook a monitor, keyboard, mouse up to it if needed.

http://www.museresearch.com/products/index.php

Might fit the bill a little better than DP.
Mac Pro 3.33 6-core 48 gig ram / OS 10.13.6 / DP 10 / 2 Motu 828 mkII / JBL LSR 28P / Some old stomp boxes / a guitar
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

Michael Canavan wrote:In my opinion the only drawback to DP live is the lack of ability to split a controller keyboard to various instruments in DP. This can be done in the controller keyboard usually, but it would be much better to have DP do it. You could set up DP Chunks with program change messages, and have the instruments in V-Racks so that it called up different instruments, presets and split points. :headbang:
You could setup a device group pointing two several MIDI tracks and on each of these MIDI tracks you use transpose live MIDI plugs to filter out unwanted notes.

Cumbersome: YES.
Not doable: NO
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Dwetmaster wrote:
Michael Canavan wrote:In my opinion the only drawback to DP live is the lack of ability to split a controller keyboard to various instruments in DP. This can be done in the controller keyboard usually, but it would be much better to have DP do it. You could set up DP Chunks with program change messages, and have the instruments in V-Racks so that it called up different instruments, presets and split points. :headbang:
You could setup a device group pointing two several MIDI tracks and on each of these MIDI tracks you use transpose live MIDI plugs to filter out unwanted notes.

Cumbersome: YES.
Not doable: NO
From what I can tell the only way I can see this working is by transposing notes you want the other synth/sample to use outside of the range of the instrument, which may work for some instruments, but not others. Would love to be wrong about this.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
magicd

Post by magicd »

I use DP live to host instruments and guitar effects.

Because I use MachFive 3 for my keyboard sounds, it's easy to set up splits within MachFive itself. There's also a script that uses patch change messages to re-direct the incoming MIDI channel.

I don't use multiple chunks in my live setup but I know plenty of people who do.

There's plenty of flexibility and processing tools in DP. However, if you're looking for additional processing horsepower, Plogue Bidule is an amazing tool to run inside DP (I used Bidule for patch changes before the script was added in to MachFive 3). Bidule gives you a whole tool kit for custom live processing of MIDI and audio, and it will run as an Audio Unit inside DP.

Dave