Any quick way to convert ST soundfiles to mono in DP?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Any quick way to convert ST soundfiles to mono in DP?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

The soul of wit..
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Brilliant!
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

I think "TIM" is actually an acronym...what does it really mean?
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
MIDI Life Crisis

Tim Is Masterful.
Tim Is Miraculous.
Tim Is Musical.

All hail Tim. Keeper of the TIMe.

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Tim? You there, buddy? We're just havin' a little fun here. Pay no attention. Motunation has its share of sick minds. Unfortunately, I fall under that category. 8) ¿Por qué?!!!!!!
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Phil O wrote:Tim? You there, buddy? We're just havin' a little fun here. Pay no attention. Motunation has its share of sick minds. Unfortunately, I fall under that category. 8) ¿Por qué?!!!!!!
"Mongo only pawn in game of life"
-Alan Watts
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

:rofl:
MIDI Life Crisis

"Has something to do with where choo choo go..."

~ Thomas Jefferson
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
doctormelodious

Post by doctormelodious »

Dan Worley wrote:Another way is to open them in DP's Waveform Editor. Hold down the Command key and drag select either the left or right side. Right-click and choose "New Audio File from Selection. Now you have to spot it.
Some of my remote musicians/singers send me needlessly-stereo bounces of monophonic tracks, having not mastered the art of exporting in mono. (!) I used to do the conversions with the Waveform Editor too, but it was a pain to have to do that one at a time with a whole bunch of takefiles.

So one time I decided to try a more quick 'n' dirty approach and just batch converted 'em in iTunes from stereo AIFF to mono AIFF. Then I selected one of the new mono files (in iTunes), right-clicked and selected "Show in Finder," and dragged each one from the Finder window right into the SE window in DP -- right where it needed to be in the song. This automatically created copies of the new mono files in the Audio folder of the current DP project (can't remember if that's default behavior or a pref that I set). Once I was finished, I deleted the ones iTunes created in the Finder window. Audio quality sounded the same to me, and the process was much faster!
Mac Pro 8 x 2.8GHz, 16GB, OS X 10.6.8
DP 7.24, MachFive 3.2, EZ Drummer, RealGuitar/Strat/LPC
Ivory II Italian Grand, Korg Legacy M1/PolySix
Garritan PO4/JABB3, NI FM8, Vintage Horns
UAD-2 Solo, RME FireFace 800
Mackie HR824s, various mics/keys/outboard

"What a beautiful world this will be. What a glorious time to DP!"
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Thanks again to the MOTUNation for providing the quickest answers. I've wondered about this a hundred times, but it's always in the face of a stupid deadline, so I forget as soon as the project is done. This time I came here and did a search: problem solved. (PS: I like the Waveform Editor thing... I usually only want one section of the incoming audio anyway, so it kills two birds at once.)

And now back to barely making a stupid deadline....
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
bleach30

Post by bleach30 »

This was great info as I've needed to do this on many occasions. I've done it with AudioFinder, iTunes, and even just done the project in Protools because the split stereo track to mono command is just plain easy..BUT I never thought about the Waveform Editor so I started messing with it this morning and found out this:

1. In the Soundbites window right click or use the menu pull down and select New Audio File.
If you're going from stereo to mono, select Mono and a dialog box opens for you to name the new empty file.

2. Select the Soundbite in the Sequence Window View you want to convert to mono and Copy it.
You don't have to double click it, just select it.

3. In the Soundbites window, double click on the new audio file you made to open the Waveform Editor. Click in the empty window (make sure grid is on and that way the insert will snap to the beginning) and then Paste.

And done. One new mono soundbite. I found out this also works the other way too. You can paste mono files into a stereo file....neato.

note:
You can do 1 and 2 an the reverse order as well. You don't have to make a new audio file first.

I'm not sure if this is faster than the other ways..just a different way and I thought it was neato.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

bleach30 wrote:This was great info as I've needed to do this on many occasions. I've done it with AudioFinder, iTunes, and even just done the project in Protools because the split stereo track to mono command is just plain easy..BUT I never thought about the Waveform Editor so I started messing with it this morning and found out this:

1. In the Soundbites window right click or use the menu pull down and select New Audio File.
If you're going from stereo to mono, select Mono and a dialog box opens for you to name the new empty file.

2. Select the Soundbite in the Sequence Window View you want to convert to mono and Copy it.
You don't have to double click it, just select it.

3. In the Soundbites window, double click on the new audio file you made to open the Waveform Editor. Click in the empty window (make sure grid is on and that way the insert will snap to the beginning) and then Paste.

And done. One new mono soundbite. I found out this also works the other way too. You can paste mono files into a stereo file....neato.

note:
You can do 1 and 2 an the reverse order as well. You don't have to make a new audio file first.

I'm not sure if this is faster than the other ways..just a different way and I thought it was neato.
This should go in tips and hints. Brilliant.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Great tips!

Thanks!
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

As has been pointed out, there are a number of ways to do this in DP. I go with whatever is convenient depending on the window I am in.

DP is sometimes very fussy and will not always let you import audio files that open in Quick Time with no problem (there's this studio that tracks in Cubase and up to 1/3 of the files he sends me have this issue). When that happens, I export the file to another format such as .aif if I got it as a .wav. This strips and rewrites the header leaving the raw audio untouched. If I want it as a .wav, I can re-convert it in QT or DP.

I would never do it in iTunes, however. Sure it can be done but is too convoluted compared to QuickTime 7.6.6. Having a QT Pro key, I never know what features work only in QT-P as opposed to the free version.

Occasionally, someone will raise the spectre that QT 7 will become abandoned by Apple. Actually, it has already but still works. I hope this continues (p-p-p-p-please don't make me have to use iTunes for this!)
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro