Want 64 Bit Alphatrack Drivers for DP?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
reddognoyz
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Want 64 Bit Alphatrack Drivers for DP?

Post by reddognoyz »

I would absolutly!
buddyofgoourasana
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by buddyofgoourasana »

Today I was testing a new Alpha Track control surface bundle while running DP 8.04 in both 32-bit AND 64-bit modes! I reported a bug to the programmer that was causing some crashes. That has been fixed. I'm hoping the programmer gives me the go ahead to share the link where you can purchase and download it soon! I decided against trying to run a kickstarter. Too much hassle. He's just going to sell it directly at a price that he feels is fair and will hopefully compensate him adequately given that this may be something with a limited market: DP users running a discontinued (albeit very useful) hardware controller.

Stay tuned! Just wanted you to know it exists! I've run AlphaTrack myself today in DP in 64-bit mode!!!
COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY AWESOME!!! :headbang:
Thank you James Steele et al!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dance:
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

James Steele wrote:
dewdman42 wrote: I supported this approach because I felt presenting a request to work on multiple devices would scare him off. It was actually AFTER he worked on AlphaTrack that he seemed more interested in Tranzport. I maintain that it was handled the way it should have been, and asking for too much too early could have jeopardized everything. As I said, I'm pretty sure Tranzport will be coming. It should be easier than AlphaTrack.
EXCELLENT! Thanks for following through. That's all i was asking is what the status was on that. It sounds like you have made good on your word and I do feel confident the programmer will do them both.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

buddyofgoourasana wrote:Thank you James Steele et al!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dance:
Cody was really the guy who made this happen. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

James Steele wrote:TDH -- can't hurt to suggest it.
I wonder what the legal aspects are to all of this? Is anyone just “allowed” to make new drivers for a product?
Sounds like legal permission would be needed from companies like AVID>

But wouldn’t it be a wonderful world wherein users like us could band together and bypass SLOW companies that sat on their asses about “OLD” products.

To have a guy tuning up DP drivers for various fallen devices and software would be amazing!
It would be just “too damn hip”!
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

anybody can make a driver of course, if they can figure out how to do it. MOTU actually provides the SDK for making the controller bundles. You have to sign an NDA with MOTU if you want to make a controller bundle using their SDK.

A controller bundle is just something that basically takes certain data coming from the hardware device and translates the data into what DP needs to receive to operate it "natively". Frontier Designs was kind enough to publish documents for both the AlphaTrack and Tranzport, which you can download from their site even still now, which explains exactly what that data remapping needs to be.

Cody found one of the original programmers from Frontier Designs. Now yes, its up to him if he is going to use old code from FD or write entirely new code, the old code might be protected by copyright and that is something he would need to be concerned about. However, this may be simple enough that he can just write it all new, or perhaps he is high enough up the food chain with FD that its a moot point. The MOTU SDK pretty much has template and example code to do what a controller bundle needs to do, its just a matter of putting in the specific data remapping. From what I understand anyway.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I don't know specifically what he did, and I don't want to guess. However, I do think that he had the blessing of FD to do so.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Wonderful news :-). I am stuck with my MC-Artist for now which is not compatible with my travelling all around the country at the moment. Having Alpha Track back would be absolutely great!!
Music is movement in silence
My day jon - http://www.audioplanet.pl
My other passion - http://www.aps-company.pl
buddyofgoourasana

Post by buddyofgoourasana »

Cody was really the guy who made this happen. :)
:dance: THANKS CODY!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dance:
labman

Post by labman »

Yes THANK YOU CODY !!!! :woohoo:
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
cody

Post by cody »

It was just out of personal need - but you're more than welcome. James did a heck-of-a job getting MOTU on this.

And just to make one board member extremely excited, we just heard that Tranzport is coming soon as well.

For you AlphaTrack peeps, here is the link to buy it:

http://www.synclavier.com/AlphaTrackPlugin.html

James will be posting more news soon!
MacPro 2011 *upgraded* 12 Core 3.33. 64 Gigs RAM. 2x PCIe SSDs, 2x SATA SSDS - OS 10.10.5, DP9.02, VEP5 + VEP5 Slave PC (i7)
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I'm going to post a new topic for this link so more people see it. I'll also put up a banner ad. Also if people could spread the word on other forums that would be cool!

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

dbender

Post by dbender »

GO CO-DY!!! :D

I thank you, and so does my Alphatrack sitting over there on the shelf (hold on little buddy, driver comin' soon).

THANK YOU, DUDE!!
iMac 3.0 GHz, 8 GHz ram, OS 10.6.4, MOTU 828 Mk II, MOTU MIDI Express-XT (x2), KRK Rokit 6's, Novation Remote Zero SL, Radikal SAC-2k, Triton rack maxed out, Matrix 1000, Handsonic HPD-15 drum pads, tons 'o VI's.....
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

dbender wrote:GO CO-DY!!! :D

I thank you, and so does my Alphatrack sitting over there on the shelf (hold on little buddy, driver comin' soon).

THANK YOU, DUDE!!
Keep in mind that technically this isn't a driver. It's a new Control Surface Bundle. I would archive the old one for safe keeping and then replace it with this new one. Old one was 1.01. The new one is 1.02.

I'm not at my studio but I believe you just replace the bundle located in the MOTU Control Surface plugs folder. I don't know the directory exactly, because I'm not at my studio computer right now. There will be a link to a .dmg file in the email confirmation you get from Kagi.

Also, I should have to say this, but PLEASE, PLEASE, let the guy who did all the work make something for it. Do NOT distribute this bundle to others. He did a lot of work and deserves to be fairly compensated for his time and expertise.