Want 64 Bit Alphatrack Drivers for DP?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
cody
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Want 64 Bit Alphatrack Drivers for DP?

Post by cody »

I do. And I'm willing to pay. If you are too, respond here and let's put together an alliance. I suggest we take our cause first to Frontier and if don't get positive feedback we find an independent developer.
MacPro 2011 *upgraded* 12 Core 3.33. 64 Gigs RAM. 2x PCIe SSDs, 2x SATA SSDS - OS 10.10.5, DP9.02, VEP5 + VEP5 Slave PC (i7)
HCMarkus

Re: Want 64 Bit Alphatrack Drivers for DP?

Post by HCMarkus »

I'm In.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I'd like them too. I'd be all behind publicizing the effort here. I've thought a Kickstarter campaign to raise funds to hire a programmer would be cool. I think we could raise sufficient money. I think it all boils down to Frontier and how cooperative they would be. It just breaks my heart to reach for the fader to adjust the track and realize "Oh yeah... I forgot I booted DP in 64-bit." There's no excuse, in my mind, to turn the AlphaTrack into sculpture.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
cody

Post by cody »

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/barry-braksick/6/a3/ba9
http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=8390337

My suggestion is that we contact them, and ask if one of his programmers would be interested in doing a "side project" for a few grand. If we got 20 of us willing to put up $100 that'd do it.
MacPro 2011 *upgraded* 12 Core 3.33. 64 Gigs RAM. 2x PCIe SSDs, 2x SATA SSDS - OS 10.10.5, DP9.02, VEP5 + VEP5 Slave PC (i7)
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I would think we'd need more than that. If that were the only object to it, Frontier would have done it. I'd raise a lot more than that. Geez... if I were independently wealthy, I'd try and buy the rights to the damned thing, get somebody to update the drivers and then sell the driver online or something. Ugh. I'd pay $20 for an updated 64-bit clean AlphaTrack driver for DP and most of us would. That's a tidy sum for someone.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
cody

Post by cody »

Just sent them both inmails...we'll see if either respond! :)
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

I'm in also and I might know a programmer if we need one.
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Dwetmaster wrote:I'm in also and I might know a programmer if we need one.
Cool. The programmer is probably the least of the issues. It's getting Frontier to give their blessing and give the programmer necessary documentation, etc. I would love to see this happen. AlphaTrack is a very useful tool for me. I haven't tried DP Control in 64-bit mode lately, but maybe that's a work around. I don't really like adjusting levels by sliding my finger on glass. I still think there's nothing quite the same as a real, tactile fader.

frankf

Post by frankf »

James Steele wrote:I would think we'd need more than that. If that were the only object to it, Frontier would have done it. I'd raise a lot more than that. Geez... if I were independently wealthy, I'd try and buy the rights to the damned thing, get somebody to update the drivers and then sell the driver online or something. Ugh. I'd pay $20 for an updated 64-bit clean AlphaTrack driver for DP and most of us would. That's a tidy sum for someone.
+1

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

Don't forget the Tranzport please!

well anyway, I kind of doubt anyone from Frontier Designs is going to address this issue.

One way around it might be for Motu to make a 64bit wrapper for these.

Frontier Designs did leave potentially enough information on their site in terms of documentation for someone else to write from scratch a controller bundle that will work with DP. I don't know who would have time to do it though...and frankly I doubt there is enough money to make it worth the time. The original programmers at Frontier Designs could probably do some slight tweaks to their code and build it for 32 and 64 bit with a few hours work.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
dbender

Post by dbender »

I'm in!

1. Rather than offer a set amount to a developer, we should ask for bids.

2. Our consortium/group should/would own the copyright in what the dev creates for us, not the dev.

3. The dev hopefully would need to only create a 64 bit wrapper for Frontier's 32 bit driver.
iMac 3.0 GHz, 8 GHz ram, OS 10.6.4, MOTU 828 Mk II, MOTU MIDI Express-XT (x2), KRK Rokit 6's, Novation Remote Zero SL, Radikal SAC-2k, Triton rack maxed out, Matrix 1000, Handsonic HPD-15 drum pads, tons 'o VI's.....
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

Here is the documentation needed for someone to write a new controller plugin from scratch using MOTU's sdk.

http://www.frontierdesign.com/download/ ... ve_1.0.pdf

http://www.frontierdesign.com/download/ ... ve_1_3.pdf
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
cody

Heard from Frontier re: Alphatrack!

Post by cody »

Let's keep this thread on topic to 64 bit Alphatrack drivers (sorry Toodamn!)

I received a very kind response from Charlie at Frontier Designs. Here's an excerpt. It's definitely dead, but there is hope!

----

I have been in touch with the man who developed the AlphaTrack Mac drivers
for us, Cameron Jones (former principle at Synclavier maker New England
Digital, and great guy). He believes the current 1.4.1 drivers are 64-bit
compatible, but they were created years ago and there may be open issues.
If so, he's willing to consider work for hire to bring them up to date.

But perhaps the issue is actually the AlphaTrack plug-in for Digital
Performer? That is 6 years old, and might have 64-bit related issues. I
don't know. But if that is the problem, then we would be willing to provide
you with the old source code. You, however, would have to find someone
willing to take on that update AND would have to work with MOTU to get
their current control surface SDK. We could provide you with our old code,
but that's about it.

So James - do you have a MOTU hookup? I'm going to get in touch with Cameron straight away...
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

Somebody can contact Magic Dave???

Mr MAGIC PLEEEEEZE :(
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Heard from Frontier re: Alphatrack!

Post by James Steele »

cody wrote:Let's keep this thread on topic to 64 bit Alphatrack drivers (sorry Toodamn!)

I received a very kind response from Charlie at Frontier Designs. Here's an excerpt. It's definitely dead, but there is hope!

----

I have been in touch with the man who developed the AlphaTrack Mac drivers
for us, Cameron Jones (former principle at Synclavier maker New England
Digital, and great guy). He believes the current 1.4.1 drivers are 64-bit
compatible, but they were created years ago and there may be open issues.
If so, he's willing to consider work for hire to bring them up to date.

But perhaps the issue is actually the AlphaTrack plug-in for Digital
Performer? That is 6 years old, and might have 64-bit related issues. I
don't know. But if that is the problem, then we would be willing to provide
you with the old source code. You, however, would have to find someone
willing to take on that update AND would have to work with MOTU to get
their current control surface SDK. We could provide you with our old code,
but that's about it.

So James - do you have a MOTU hookup? I'm going to get in touch with Cameron straight away...
That sounds VERY promising. If we could put together enough dough to do it, sounds like we could get this done. I do have some contacts at MOTU. I'll get this rolling on my end.