Routing MIDI from One Virtual Instrument to Another

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
gspin
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Routing MIDI from One Virtual Instrument to Another

Post by gspin »

Hi there,
I know this must be really basic but I wasn't able to come up with the answer by searching the forum. Apologies in advance

I am trying to route the MIDI output of one virtual instrument (specifically: Xfer Cthulhu) to another virtual instrument (e.g., Alchemy, Massive or another softsynth). I opened Cthulhu as a VI and assgined a MIDI track to it. I then need to route Cthulhu but don't know where to rout it to in order to trigger Alchemy.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Cheers

gspin
bralston

Re: Routing MIDI from One Virtual Instrument to Another

Post by bralston »

On their website (http://www.xferrecords.com/products/cthulhu) they say:
Logic Users: Please note, MIDI in Logic requires use of the IAC Bus, since AudioUnits do not support MIDI from plugins. You will experience minor timing issues and a little bit of additional routing (about 7 mouseclicks) to use Cthulhu. A demo version is planned shortly, so please check this page if you prefer to demo first!
Since DP is using that same AU standard...I would suspect that you would have to use the IAC Bus as well. This is an OSX thing causing this...not a DP thing.
Regards,

Brian Ralston

- MacPro 7,1 3.2 GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W, 384GB 2933MHz DDR4 RAM, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD OS drive, 6TB Samsung Pro EVOPlus SSDs via Sonnet 4x4 M.2 PCIe card, Graphics card: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB, UAD-2 Quad, DP 10.13, DP 11.0,
- 15" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost to 4.8GHz, 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 mem, Radeon Pro Vega 20 w/4GB HBM2 mem, 2TB SSD storage, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD, DP 10.13
gspin

Post by gspin »

Thanks much Bralston.
However I having difficulty understanding how to link the new softsynth to the IAC Bus. I was able to set up the IAC bus in AudioMidi Setup and in fact Cthulhu recognizes IAC, but how do I link that to the softsynth in DP?

I have set up Cthulhu in an Instrument track and e.g. Massive in another...

Any suggestions would be great

cheers

gpsin
bralston

Post by bralston »

I am guessing...but this is what I would try.

For example:

In DP, set MIDI channel output --> IAC Channel 1

In Cthulhu...set its MIDI input to be fed from the same IAC Channel 1...
In Cthulhu...also set its MIDI output to a different IAC channel...like IAC Channel 2.

Set DP Instrument track MIDI Input to be that Cthulhu output...IAC Channel 2
Or...if Cthulhu MIDI outputs channels appear in your DP MIDI list...you could then just select its output channel to feed the next Virtual Instrument channel instead.

I don't use Cthulhu MIDI...so I am not sure if its MIDI outputs appear in DPs MIDI input list as possibilities.

It is all about following the MIDI signal path. What output is sent to wheat input...and repeat that question along the entire chain.
Regards,

Brian Ralston

- MacPro 7,1 3.2 GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W, 384GB 2933MHz DDR4 RAM, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD OS drive, 6TB Samsung Pro EVOPlus SSDs via Sonnet 4x4 M.2 PCIe card, Graphics card: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB, UAD-2 Quad, DP 10.13, DP 11.0,
- 15" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost to 4.8GHz, 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 mem, Radeon Pro Vega 20 w/4GB HBM2 mem, 2TB SSD storage, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD, DP 10.13
gspin

Post by gspin »

Hhhmmm... thanks for the suggestion Bralston.

However, while Cthulhu seems to latch automatically onto IAC Bus 2, I can't identify a IAC input in my softsynths (its either "All" or 1-16 but the IAC bus does not appear). In other words, I can't pick IAC Bus 2 as a MIDI input for Massive or Alchemy, etc., from "inside" the synth nor in Tracks view.

Is there some menu item or something else which I am missing?
cheers

gspin
Centris

Post by Centris »

I noticed this old post when I was trying to figure this out - Cthulhu. Thought I'd add my explanation if it helps. I noticed there's others as well, but maybe it will get a quicker search response. Note the last part about turning on items, that is essential.

----------

Step 1: Open Audio/MIDI Setup and from the drop down menu (Window) select MIDI Studio. Select (double Click) IAC Driver and Check - Enable Online.

Step 2: Open up Digital Performer (create a new Empty Project) and go to Studio, and Select Multi Record.

Step 3: In a side window in DP open a small window for MIDI Monitor. This should now show the IAC Driver with status boxes next to it, along with your other MIDI devices.

Step 4: Add 2 MIDI Tracks

Step: 5 Add a Cthulhu Instrument track. Then add another Instrument track with a synth of your choice.

SO you have now 2 MIDI tracks and 2 instrument tracks.

Step 6: On the first MIDI track select ‘Input’ and select ‘IAC Driver-1’ and on the ‘Output’ select the other Instrument track (whatever the other Synths name is).

Step 7: On the 2nd MIDI track Input, have your ‘MIDI Controller’ set as Input. For Output - ‘Select Cthulhu 1-1’

Step 8: Record Enable both MIDI Tracks.

Step 9: Make sure to select a ‘chord’, and ‘arp setting’ in Cthulhu as that seems to be necessary to start it.

Step 10: If IAC Driver doesn’t recognize your MIDI input in the MIDI Monitor window (it should flash when you press a key) unplug your MIDI Device and replug it in.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Or you could load the VST instrument version. DP can send MIDI between plug ins with VSTs.
The only odd part is in the drop down menu it's just going to say:

Cthulhu
Cthulhu
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
AsensoryMusic

Post by AsensoryMusic »

I am having the same problem. I downloaded the demo version of Cthulhu to see what it's all about, and can't get it to work. I yanked the AU component so that only the VST plugin was installed (into the recommended place). After a couple rounds getting DP to scan and load the plugin, It finally did load. But, I still have no idea how to route MIDI through it.

I created an instrument track one which to load Cthulhu, then a MIDI track to trigger it, all works fine. The problem is that instrument tracks cannot have a MIDI out of their own, obvoiusly, nad MIDI tracks cannot have an input. What I initially thought I would have to do is go MIDI out to Cthulhu, set Cthulhu as the input for a second MIDI track, then set my target VI instrument to be the destination of that track.

Anyone have any idea how to get this to work?
SMS

Post by SMS »

AsensoryMusic wrote:MIDI tracks cannot have an input
If you turn on MultiRecord, you can choose an input for MIDI tracks
MOTU user since Performer™ 1.22 on 128k floppy
DP 11.23
MacBook Pro 14” 2023 M2 max 12 core
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma