Why I'm enabling only AU of UVI Workstation and not MAS

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Why I'm enabling only AU of UVI Workstation and not MAS

Post by James Steele »

This is a weird one but this might be some good advice if you:

a) Anticipate switching between 32-bit and 64-bit mode in DP on the same project
b) Have installed 3rd party plugs that are both MAS & AU

Here's what happens:

I noticed this with UVI Workstation which installs BOTH a MAS version and an AU version.

If I launch DP in 32-bit mode, DP will favor the MAS version of UVI WS and load it. Let's say my preset that is loaded is "RickenBass". I save the DP project.

I then quit DP and then relaunch DP in 64-bit mode. DP will not load the MAS plug, but instead will load the AU. (This is because except for DP's included MAS plugs, 3rd party MAS plugs are NOT 64-bit compatible.)

When the project loads UVI Workstation will come up empty with no preset.

Now here's where it get's weird. If you then change the preset while DP is in 64bit and using the AU version, when you quit DP and relaunch DP in 32-bit mode, DP will then load the MAS version again, but now it will come up empty with no loaded preset.

Solution seems to be to use only the AU version. (Or perhaps just the VST... I haven't tried that, and it might have benefits for better project sharing with DP for Windows.) You could either remove UVI Workstation from the MAS plug-ins folder, or launch DP in 32-bit, then go into the Prefs and disable the MAS version of UVI Workstation and then enable the AU version.

This situation may also potential exist with Altiverb or other 3rd party plugs that install both MAS and AU versions.

Hope that helps someone. I was going crazy wondering why my UVI Workstation appeared to *forget* its preset every time I switched between 32-bit and 64-bit.

Oh... and again... maybe the ultimate solution will be to run VSTs now that the support is built in for possible better cross platform compatibility. And since JBridgeM works on VSTs maybe that's another reason. I'll leave that for discussion. Bottom line if you're going between 32-bit and 64-bit perhaps use AU or VST instead of MAS for 3rd party plugs.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Why I'm enabling only AU of UVI Workstation and not MAS

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I saw the same thing. It's one reason I decided not to go to 32 bit anymore and bite the bullet while the plugs all get updated. Thanks for the explanation. It was driving me nuts as well.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Well to add just another thought here (and it may mean opening a new topic), I'm beginning to see that VST may now be the preferred plug-in format. The potential cross-platform compatibility is one thing, but here's an example more practical.

I like using DrumCore 3 from time to time. It's 32-bit only (not likely to ever be updated) and there's an AU and a VST version. I've been using the AU. Obviously, if I open a project using the 32-bit AU version while DP is in 64-bits, it won't load and I get the missing plugs dialog. (I think I even got a crash). However, if I disable the AU and use VST, it of course loads fine when DP is in 32bit. If I launch DP in 64-bit, JBridgeM kicks in and it also loads just fine. Go back to 32-bit mode, and JBridgeM does not load and it just loads as a regular VST. EDIT: Makes much more sense than using AU in 32-bit and VST (Bridged) in 64-bit. Just use VST and JBridgeM knows when to jump in and when to sit out.

So seems like perhaps VST is going to be the best way to go if one anticipates switching between 32-bit and 64-bit. (I might do this just to use my AlphaTrack for a bit, etc.)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
MIDI Life Crisis

I agree. I've made VST the default for DP. A couple of my apps don't use VST yet, so I'm hanging on to AU plugs, but it would appear that VSU is winning the plug-o-war.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

I've used AU mostly for years. I see advantages to VST for sure, but one of the reason VST 3 isn't widely adopted is because surprise surprise, there are advantages in VST 3 that specifically only work in Cubase/Nuendo. This is the initial reason why the Emagic team responsible for Logic and Garageband that got bought out by Apple were so quick to drop VST support in favor of AU, Stienbergs lackluster hosting documentation for the VST protocol. VST 2.4 which DP8 supports has been out for over 5 years so the reverse engineering to get a host to run it well has been done and at this point it's my guess DAW companies aren't hoarding their findings anymore to make their host more bug free etc.
AU on the other hand is wide open for obvious reasons. There was an unfortunate early screw up on the part of Apple regarding releasing "fixes" to the AU standard that were there to help Logic that were not documented but that got resolved. Mostly Au is not cross platform and hasn't had a significant update or upgrade in years. IMO it will probably happen coinciding with Logic X, IMO due out any time now.

So personally I'm gonna wait it out, I'm using jBridge and 64 bit, soon I'll have no reason for 32 bit compatibility and it's quite possible that AU comes out with a strong easily implemented by DP upgrade this year.

All this wil change if I can convince some of my adamantly Windows only friends to adopt DP8! :lol:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

I wish I had no reason for jBridge. But until a B3 synth that rivals B4ii comes out (VB3 does NOT count), it's there to stay. Also, I'm still using the 32 bit version of Korg Legacy. I'm wrapping up my album and then going on tour, both which have heavy usage of KLC, and I don't want to risk it screwing up. Come late July, I'll make the switch.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

Interesting paradigm shift in the works.

This current thread does make more clear an answer I previously sought here:
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 26&t=51414

There was a time years ago that I swore I'd never go near VST again. Ha! Looks like VST is the way to go. But .aif is still my preferred audio file format.
2017 2.9 GHz MPB/1TB ssd; loaded 2012 i7 quadcore Mini, OS 10.15.5
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.
LouRossi

Post by LouRossi »

So, to dig up an old thread, with a somewhat related nube question:

I've just downloaded and installed UVI Workstation. It came bulled with Acoustic Samples AS Free sample library. I am running DP7, and I cannot figure out how to get UVI to show up in DP as an instrument track. I've done a google search (which brought me here), but there is little information available on this.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
MIDI Life Crisis

The AU needs to be in the appropriate folder in the system library/audio.

DP should examine it. Check your plug ins prefs in DP to see if it failed.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
LouRossi

Post by LouRossi »

Thank you, MLC. I think I know what happened then: I had originally installed UVI on an external drive, but moved the app (by dragging and dropping) to my app folder. I suspect the AU is in the wrong place. I will reinstall UVI Workstation and see if that resolves my issue.

Thanks again,
Lou
MIDI Life Crisis

Cool! I don't think there's a MAS version, just AU or VST.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
LouRossi

Post by LouRossi »

Thanks again, MLC. I have just reinstalled UVI in its default location and all is well. I appreciate the gentle nudge in the right direction.

Cheers,
Lou
MIDI Life Crisis

:)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS