Play audio track backwards

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bouzouki
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Play audio track backwards

Post by bouzouki »

Hi,
I'm using DP 7 still, and would like to play an audio track I've created backwards. I've seen some posts about previous versions of DP and they mention a plug-in. But, it doesn't seem to exist in DP7. Is there a way to do it in DP7?
Thanks for your help!
stephentayler

Re: Play audio track backwards

Post by stephentayler »

Hi there,

It can't be done with a realtime Plugin in the mixer strip - that would actually be impossible! It has to be an offline process.

It should be under Audio Menu>Audio Plugins>Reverse

however, having said that, I believe there was a thread about this plugin disappearing some time ago. I'm on DP8 and it's there, but when I look in DP7 I can't see it! hmmmmmm...

Cheers

SWT
Stephen W Tayler: Sound Artist
http://www.chimera-arts.com
http://ostinatomusic.com
http://stephentayler.com

Mac Pro 16Gb RAM, OSX 10.10, DP 8, PT 11, Logic 9.1.8, MOTU Traveler, Ultralite Mk 3 Hybrid, MC MIx, MOTU VIs, Waves, Izotope Everything, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, Slate, Softube, NI , spl Surround Monitor Controller, spl Auditor Headphone amp, Genelec 1031A, 1029 5.1 system, Sontronics Mics, iPad etc..
crduval

Post by crduval »

I'm not in studio at the moment so this is from memory, but this function is available in DP 7 - I've used it. I think it is in the Audio menu and is can be applied to a selected soundbite in the sequence or soundbite editing window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M2 MacBook Air, DP11, MOTU MX-4, MOTU Mach5, EWQLSO Platinum, Acoustic Samples B5, UAD Waterfall Organ, EWQL Platinum Pianos, UVI Falcon, UAD-2 Duo, MOTU Ultralite mk5, K2600XS controller
kinnylandrum

Post by kinnylandrum »

Yes it is still there in DP8, in the audio menu, and it still works as before.
DP 10.11 MacPro 16-core 3.2 GHZ, 48 Gb Ram, 10.15.2, numerous VIs, etc.
bouzouki

Post by bouzouki »

I'm afraid I'm still not finding it :^(
I looked for anything resembling a 'reverse' or 'backwards play' of the track from the soundbite edit and sequencing windows. There is no audio plug-in for it in the list, for sure.
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

It's not a realtime plug. You have to use the APPLY PLUG IN and process the audio. It will not appear with the plugs you use in the mixer. It's there if you look in the right place.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
doodles

Post by doodles »

what stephentayler said.

Do a search for missing reverse plug-ins. There was an issue sometime in DP 7 where it didn't install the plug-in.
2*5-core 3.46 Intel xeon (32 gigs RAM), 2*dual 2.5 (16 & 32 gigs RAM), DP 8.07, WAVES 9, Lexicon plugs, SoundToys, all Spectrasonics, NI Komplete 9, Vienna Ensemble (extended), LASS, Evolve, Symphobia, etc, Cinesamples, Arturia, cinestrings, all Project Sam
bouzouki

Post by bouzouki »

Thank you, Doodles. I searched and found a 'reverse.bundle' in my VSTs folder(???). Should I move it to the components folder? I wonder why DP didn't install it.
It's true that I do not know where to look for 'apply plug-in' in DP. I looked from the soundbite window and the editing window.
So, basically, if I have an audio file on a track in DP, is there a way for me to process it to play backwards in DP? If it is not a plug-in like reverb, delay, etc., where do I find it?
Thanks again, I'm sorry to not be able to pick this up from the advise already given. I use DP a lot, but have not ever tried this. I just really want it to work on this one short piece of audio....
dix

Post by dix »

The Reverse plugin gets replaced when you install or update DP8, as does various other components, which effectively breaks or removes them from 7. You'll need to reinstall DP7 to get them back.

…or here. These are the ones I need to get back to 7. There may be others. I don't think I'm violating any rules, by posting this. Someone please let me know if I am. http://prayforrain.com/misc/DP7FilesToR ... xports.zip
Last edited by dix on Wed May 01, 2013 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

The reverse plugin, as are all first-party MOTU plugins, is an MAS plugin, not an AU Component, it should be in the MAS folder.

To apply destructive plugins like reverse, you need to be in the "Sequence" window, select a clip, or group of clips, and choose "Audio > Apply Plugins..." then select "reverse" from the list (or type it in the search field). It will pop up the plugin UI, which you can use to preview the clip with the effect on it, first. Then hit the "Apply" button to apply it.

Most plugins can be applied non-destructively, but a few that do temporal remapping can only be applied as a destructive edit.

To be honest, this never made much sense to me. If DP can do real-time pitch shifting and time-stretching, than surely it can play soundbites in reverse. I think it would be nice if they just added "reverse" as an editing function, and performed it on soundbites in real time. Many other editors do this.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
bouzouki

Post by bouzouki »

Thanks everyone for their advice. I'm still using DP7, but what worked for me was to re-install the reverse.bundle into the plug in folder. It apparently wasn't installed when I first installed DP7. Who knows why? Anyway, once I'd put it into the MAS folder, it appeared in the plug-in list, and I was able to reverse the audio track I had wanted to reverse. YAY!!!!!!!! I appreciate all of your expertise, and your willingness to help me trouble shoot. I would have never known what was up with this without your help. THANK YOU!!!
Best,
Sylvia
hamburski
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by hamburski »

I know this is an old thread, but - here's my snag with reversing audio:

I'm running DP 8.07, and haven't had issues with the reverse plugin previously, but I also haven't used it in a while. Now, it is simply not working. I select a soundbite in the sequence window, go to Audio/Apply Plug-in, and choose Motu/reverse from the plugins list. And then nothing happens. It's making me feel like I've somehow forgotten how I used to do it before, i.e., that I did it some other way, but what I'm doing seems to fit everyone's descriptions above. The plugin's not missing from the list, it's just not doing it's thing when I ask it to. Thoughts?
MIDI Life Crisis

No dialogue box? You have to enter a value in that. If you're not seeing the dialogue, could it be that the box is not being properly placed onscreen. Multiple monitors? Maybe it's appearing on a monitor that's not powered on?

It has always worked for me, although the implementation has changed a bit since DP7.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
hamburski
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by hamburski »

Dialogue box! That sounds vaguely familiar. No, it's not showing up after I select the reverse plug-in. And I just have two monitors, and they're both on/visible.

Five minute update: Ah - maybe it was being blocked by another open plugin, because once I knew what I was looking for, I found it! Reversing is back - Thank you!!!
MIDI Life Crisis

Another happy customer. That'll be 5 cents please.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS