Faderport compatibility with DP8 update from Presonus

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
cowtothesky
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Faderport compatibility with DP8 update from Presonus

Post by cowtothesky »

I'm down. As I said, I don't have a twitter account, but my wife does. I'll get her to post.
Imac Pro 10-core, 64GB Ram, Mac OS (latest), 2TB SSD, Blackmagic Multiport 4TB SSD, DP 10, Motu Ultralite MK3 Hybrid, VSL Instruments, VE Pro, Vienna Suite, Spectrasonics, Project SAM, Spitfire, Kontakt, Korg M3
rpmusic

Post by rpmusic »

cowtothesky wrote:I'm down. As I said, I don't have a twitter account, but my wife does. I'll get her to post.
Excellent, "cowtothesky!"

I'm always up for a good fight! :twisted:
Rob Pottorf Music, Inc.
rp@rpmusic.com
http://www.rpmusic.com
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

I might have to open a twitter account. I was just about to purchase a faderport before 64bit happened.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Oh how I miss my AlphaTrack in 64-bit mode! :(
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
dbender

Post by dbender »

Me, too, James, you took the words right out of my mouth.

I thought Alpha Track was a very good and well made device. I also miss my Radikal SAC-2K too.

I was thinking about moving my control surface use over to an iPad, but think I'll miss the tactility of real faders and knobs.

Too bad Frontier (I recall right now as I'm writing this that that's who made it, I might be wrong here) won't at least put out the 64 bit driver, or, at least grant a public non-commercial license to let some intrepid coder out there write one. I wonder how much it'd cost to have that done. I for one would chip in if the cost is low enough.
iMac 3.0 GHz, 8 GHz ram, OS 10.6.4, MOTU 828 Mk II, MOTU MIDI Express-XT (x2), KRK Rokit 6's, Novation Remote Zero SL, Radikal SAC-2k, Triton rack maxed out, Matrix 1000, Handsonic HPD-15 drum pads, tons 'o VI's.....
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

I have been watching this thread. Just to double check here, I still use my fader port on 64 bit mode as a play/stop unit.
I bought an AVID Artist mix which is way better, (and more expensive), and, it has some problems but works well in general.

But when I am inside of VE pro, I use fader port too as a start stop controller.
I wonder how the top end SSL and Avid units work with DP?
I used to automate heavily in Pro Tools with the Yamaha DM2000, which is a 20k unit. Never tried it at the time on DP.

Is there NO control surface that works perfectly with DP?
Sad man, sad!!
I still recommend the artist mix though, it does most things well and can even do effects automation if you learn it’s quirks.
If Motu is constantly making hardware for the masses, such as it’s audio interfaces, we assume they do this because they see and have SEEN a profit from these hardware devices.

What does it say about MOTUs faith in DP if they continually fail to make a hardware controller JUST FOR DP?
No profit? Not enough DP users for a profit?
Hmm....Perplexing indeed.
I would have to guess MOTU does not make a control surface for DP because they don;t see a profit in it.
This is either because DP users are not numerous enough or, they can;t get a good deal on motorized fader parts, not sure which, but it must have to do with profit and lack of faith in profit.
I know that MOTU Knows we want a hardware controller. Yet none appear.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
p.pan

Post by p.pan »

Motu Buy Frontier and they make nice "Alpha Track II"
:love: :love: :love:
MacPro 5.1 6-core 3.33GHz 16GB RAM.
Motu 2408MKI PCIe 424, with Focusrite octopre
Alphatrack.
DP7.24, SD2, Omnisphere 1, Komplete 7,Ethno.1.0.1,Styllus RMX 1.8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

dbender wrote:Me, too, James, you took the words right out of my mouth.

I thought Alpha Track was a very good and well made device. I also miss my Radikal SAC-2K too.

I was thinking about moving my control surface use over to an iPad, but think I'll miss the tactility of real faders and knobs.

Too bad Frontier (I recall right now as I'm writing this that that's who made it, I might be wrong here) won't at least put out the 64 bit driver, or, at least grant a public non-commercial license to let some intrepid coder out there write one. I wonder how much it'd cost to have that done. I for one would chip in if the cost is low enough.
Someone once wrote me with a workaround to get MINIMAL functionality out of Alpha Track with DP in 64-bit. You can have transport control and you can set levels with the fader, but only on the topmost 8 tracks as they appear in the TOV. For example, if you want to set the volume of a track and it was the 16th track from the top on in the TOV (Track OverView), you'd have to first drag that track up to one of the top 8 tracks and then do your fader moves.

If anyone is interested I'll post how to do this. Last time I offered nobody took me up on it. I know that I did it once, but the experience was so unsatisfying having been familiar with the Alpha Track's normal capabilities, I just didn't want to bother and kept working in 32-bit mode since I'm mostly doing rock songs. Heck... until SOMEBODY comes out with a FaderPort/AlphaTrack type device that works in DP in 64-bit, I'll probably keep chugging along in DP at 32-bit as long as I'm able.

Also, another caveat is you have to change the controller surface settings in DP and Alpha Track Manager any time you decide to go between running DP in 32-bit mode and running it in 64-bit mode. It sucketh mightily.

I still think we should start some sort of kickstarter campaign of users and kick in money to cover the cost of having Frontier put a programmer on it. Hell... I'd pay good money toward the cause to have the AlphaTrack live on in DP.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
dbender

Post by dbender »

James, thank you, if it's not too much trouble it would be great if you could post the AT 64 bit workaround.

Your kickstarter campaign idea is great
iMac 3.0 GHz, 8 GHz ram, OS 10.6.4, MOTU 828 Mk II, MOTU MIDI Express-XT (x2), KRK Rokit 6's, Novation Remote Zero SL, Radikal SAC-2k, Triton rack maxed out, Matrix 1000, Handsonic HPD-15 drum pads, tons 'o VI's.....
rpmusic

Post by rpmusic »

Looks like this has become an Alpha Track thread but I'll still continue to se if I can "rattle the cage" a bit for the Faderport (btw, I was an Alpha Track user until they went MIA and that's when I switched to the Faderport)...I posted this on the Presonus wall today.

@PreSonus Sad day in the studio - removed new Faderport after using for 1 month - no DP8 64bit support from Presonus. Very disappointing.

Would really appreciate any help at all from anyone that might have a twitter account and post you frustration with the lack of support for us DP 64bit users.
Rob Pottorf Music, Inc.
rp@rpmusic.com
VitcoMusic

Post by VitcoMusic »

Being a Faderport user (still in DP 7.24), looks like I may need to consider another option for a surface controller when I go to DP8. Seems like there's a market that no company is taking advantage of yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mac Studio Ultra 64gb; Motif 8; Novation Summit, Yamaha MOXF6, Mach Five Three; Altiverb, UVI Stuff, Acoustic Legends; Plugsound Pro; Fender Strat; Stylus, Omnisphere 2.8, Trillian
oldecuriosity

Post by oldecuriosity »

Interesting . . . I thought I was the only one still using the Faderport with DP. Nice to know I'm not the only one! I'll definitely help the cause and send an email to Presonus support, as I'll be installing DP 8 as soon as I finish my current project and would like to have something that works (not looking forward to using an iPad as last resort - something nice about a real fader).

DP 11
iMac M1 (24-inch, 2021) 16GB RAM
OS X 11.6.2
cowtothesky

Post by cowtothesky »

I have had my wife post yesterday and today at @presonus. No response from them yet.

I fired up DP7 recently and the motorized fader was working for the first time! lol - I guess it was the driver update that I didn't install until recently. I really hope they update for DP8. I like the design of it very much. It fits perfectly in my setup and even matches my Korg M3 beautifully!
Imac Pro 10-core, 64GB Ram, Mac OS (latest), 2TB SSD, Blackmagic Multiport 4TB SSD, DP 10, Motu Ultralite MK3 Hybrid, VSL Instruments, VE Pro, Vienna Suite, Spectrasonics, Project SAM, Spitfire, Kontakt, Korg M3
rpmusic

Post by rpmusic »

cowtothesky wrote:I have had my wife post yesterday and today at @presonus. No response from them yet.

I fired up DP7 recently and the motorized fader was working for the first time! lol - I guess it was the driver update that I didn't install until recently. I really hope they update for DP8. I like the design of it very much. It fits perfectly in my setup and even matches my Korg M3 beautifully!
Thanks "cowtothesky" ....I'm in your camp. I became so dependent of the Alpha Track as part of my workflow, that when they went MIA, I switched to the Faderport...I was on DP8 32bit at the time, so all was right with the world. 64 was a different story...no support, no word, no nothing.

Let's keep firing away at them and hopefully they'll eventually help us out.
Rob Pottorf Music, Inc.
rp@rpmusic.com
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

This really sucks. After more than a decade of being a staunch "drawn-in automation" person, I've just started getting comfortable recording it in the conventional way. I was just about to pounce on an Alpha Track or Faderport, when I went 64bit. I've been using my iPhone, which is okay, but not great.

So, are there ANY options at all? I'm guessing there are some more-expensive, 8+ slider units that are compatible, but I don't actually have the space for it the way my workspace is set up, and I actually think that multi-slider interfaces might be more confusing, unless I had a huge board that had dedicated sliders for EVERY SLIDER on my mixer. Barring that, I think one slider would be best.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy