Faderport compatibility with DP8 update from Presonus

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
rpmusic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Faderport compatibility with DP8 update from Presonus

Post by rpmusic »

Well, here's the latest from my tweet yesterday...

I wrote:

@PreSonus Sad day in the studio - removed new Faderport after using for 1 month - no DP8 64bit support from Presonus. Very disappointing.

And their reply;

PreSonus Support ‏@PreSonusSupport 3h
@RobPottorfMusic Sorry to let you down. I've let the dev team know of demand for this! CC @danielbustosm @Mduncan_9

So at least I'm getting a response - whether they're placating me or not, remains to be seen, but I guess we'll see.

They other thing that I started was with V-Control and this is what I wrote to them on their Facebook page...

Rob Pottorf Music
Just purchased and love it - One of the reasons that I bought this is because Alpha Track and Presonus FaderPort do not support DP8 64bit....however, one request; I'm using DP8 (any DAW would be the same) and it would be great time saver if when I highlight a track on my computer DAW, V-Control would scroll to the corresponding track on the screen of the iPad.

From a workflow standpoint it would be more efficient if I didn't have to do the "two finger" swipe to get to the desired track. When working with a large track list, it gets a bit time consuming to swipe from the top of the track list to the bottom. This is so important when mixing.

Maybe an alternate solution would be to put a button on the side (like the master fader button is) that would coincide with whatever fader is highlighted in the DAW track - could this be considered?

IMO, this one feature would make this app absolutely PERFECT!!!!

They replied:

V-Control Pro - Ok thanks for this will will add it to our requested features list

I replied:

Rob Pottorf Music - Hey, thanks for considering it...I know a lot of music DAW users that would jump at this if this feature were added. It's a huge issue right now with nothing available in the 64bit world.

I figure ONE of these companies have to step up to the plate if I complain long enough!
Rob Pottorf Music, Inc.
rp@rpmusic.com
http://www.rpmusic.com
jmatos
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by jmatos »

I'm also looking into mixer controllers for DP8 64bit so thanks for this post. Has anyone tried Steinberg's CC121 yet? If it works with Cubase 64 bit would it work with DP8 64bit too?
MacPro 3,1
OS X 10.6.8
2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
8GB Ram
rpmusic

Post by rpmusic »

jmatos wrote:I'm also looking into mixer controllers for DP8 64bit so thanks for this post. Has anyone tried Steinberg's CC121 yet? If it works with Cubase 64 bit would it work with DP8 64bit too?
Found this:

This controller isn't expected to work with software products outside the small Steinberg universe (heck, it won't even work with older Cubase/Nuendo versions, Sequel or Wavelab).

If you google a bit then you'll notice that it can be unlocked somehow as Reaper seems to have full support for the CC121. But this looks like a community/user project that is not officially supported by Steinberg or the creators of Reaper.

(btw, "• • • • • •" is the word that wouldn't fully display for some reason...)
Rob Pottorf Music, Inc.
rp@rpmusic.com
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

I just realized, my faderport also has it’s fader working in DP 8.01, 64 bit.
So it basically IS working minus various quirks.

Am I to understand correctly that no one here can get their faderport to work at all?
My settings in DP are:
Driver=HUI
Input port-faderport 1
Output port- Faderport

I am running faderport bundle 1.2.

I think I also did some trouble shooting way back when as per the presonus site by holding down certain key combos to get the software to update but it never worked right.
I also recall installing the LATEST faderport driver and it did NOT work and that it was a bit difficult to find driver vers. 1.2

Anyway, I messed with all of that and it appears my presonus faderport pretty much functions. I hardly use it due to using the AVID artist mix.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
rpmusic

Post by rpmusic »

toodamnhip wrote:I just realized, my faderport also has it’s fader working in DP 8.01, 64 bit.

Am I to understand correctly that no one here can get their faderport to work at all?
My settings in DP are:
Driver=HUI
Input port-faderport 1
Output port- Faderport

I think I also did some trouble shooting way back when as per the presonus site by holding down certain key combos to get the software to update but it never worked right.
I also recall installing the LATEST faderport driver and it did NOT work and that it was a bit difficult to find driver vers. 1.2

Anyway, I messed with all of that and it appears my presonus faderport pretty much functions. I hardly use it due to using the AVID artist mix.
The rest of us can get it to work in HUI mode also but the problem is is that it will only do the "1 bank of 8 faders" at a time....meaning that you have to bank through 8 faders at a time to get to the correct fader.

But let me understand, if you click and highlight a particular track in DP8, does your FaderPort automatically control that track without having using the "bank button" to get to that track? If so, what are you doing to get it to work?!?!?!

Thanks!
Rob Pottorf Music, Inc.
rp@rpmusic.com
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

rpmusic wrote:
toodamnhip wrote:I just realized, my faderport also has it’s fader working in DP 8.01, 64 bit.

My settings in DP are:
Driver=HUI
Input port-faderport 1
Output port- Faderport

The rest of us can get it to work in HUI mode also but the problem is is that it will only do the "1 bank of 8 faders" at a time....meaning that you have to bank through 8 faders at a time to get to the correct fader.

But let me understand, if you click and highlight a particular track in DP8, does your FaderPort automatically control that track without having using the "bank button" to get to that track? If so, what are you doing to get it to work?!?!?!

Thanks!
Yes, in the Tracks Overview, and I think also in the sequence editor, (though I am not sure about that second one), if I click on a track in TO, faderport snaps to that track and controls it.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
rpmusic

Post by rpmusic »

Thanks!
Yes, in the Tracks Overview, and I think also in the sequence editor, (though I am not sure about that second one), if I click on a track in TO, faderport snaps to that track and controls it.
Holy Cow?!?!?! WHere can I find that version of the driver?!?!?! Do you have a link?
Rob Pottorf Music, Inc.
rp@rpmusic.com
rpmusic

Post by rpmusic »

Well, I manage to find the 1.2 driver install and unfortunately, it still doesn't work.

Can you tell me what your main configuration is? Mine is the latest 27" iMac 32 GB, OS X 10.8.3 running DP8.01

Thanks in advance!
Rob Pottorf Music, Inc.
rp@rpmusic.com
cowtothesky

Post by cowtothesky »

^^^^ I couldn't get it to work. Tech support had me try several earlier driver versions. The latest driver version works great with DP7, but not DP8 64.
Imac Pro 10-core, 64GB Ram, Mac OS (latest), 2TB SSD, Blackmagic Multiport 4TB SSD, DP 10, Motu Ultralite MK3 Hybrid, VSL Instruments, VE Pro, Vienna Suite, Spectrasonics, Project SAM, Spitfire, Kontakt, Korg M3
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

rpmusic wrote:Well, I manage to find the 1.2 driver install and unfortunately, it still doesn't work.

Can you tell me what your main configuration is? Mine is the latest 27" iMac 32 GB, OS X 10.8.3 running DP8.01

Thanks in advance!
I was going to try to post a link to the 1.2 installer but if you found it and it still doesn;t work, then I am not sure what else to do.
All I know is that my fader port works somewhat:
1)If I select a track to the TO window, fader port snaps to it and automates. however, you must set the type of automation INSIDE DP.
2) Play/stop record always works.
3) Bank select will switch to new banks though I don;t use this features as I use avid artist mix instead.
4)I don’t try to use the various other functions of the unit so I cannot comment on them.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
rpmusic

Post by rpmusic »

toodamnhip wrote:
rpmusic wrote:Well, I manage to find the 1.2 driver install and unfortunately, it still doesn't work.

Thanks in advance!
I was going to try to post a link to the 1.2 installer but if you found it and it still doesn;t work, then I am not sure what else to do.
All I know is that my fader port works somewhat:
1)If I select a track to the TO window, fader port snaps to it and automates. however, you must set the type of automation INSIDE DP.
2) Play/stop record always works.
3) Bank select will switch to new banks though I don;t use this features as I use avid artist mix instead.
4)I don’t try to use the various other functions of the unit so I cannot comment on them.

Ah, I see what you're saying now...yes, mine operates in the same fashion but the issue is that you have to use the bank button to get to the fader that you want to use in DP...the beauty of the FaderPort and AlphaTrack was that when you highlighted a track in DP, the FaderPort (or AlphaTrack) would automatically be ready to automate. Only the first 8 tracks will be armed unless I use the bank button to access other tracks.

From a work flow standpoint, having to bank select is extremely counter productive when you have a large template, trying to find the correct fader and you're working on tight timelines. Speed is everything.
Rob Pottorf Music, Inc.
rp@rpmusic.com
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

When I click on a track in the TO window, the fader jumps to it. No need for bank select.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
rpmusic

Post by rpmusic »

toodamnhip wrote:When I click on a track in the TO window, the fader jumps to it. No need for bank select.
Wo! How in the world are you able to get that to work in 64bit?!?!?!?! I think you're the only person in existence that has this working!

Wish I could figure out your secret :(

One last question; when you say that you have to set the type of automation inside of DP, can you explain what you mean?
Rob Pottorf Music, Inc.
rp@rpmusic.com
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

rpmusic wrote:
toodamnhip wrote:When I click on a track in the TO window, the fader jumps to it. No need for bank select.
Wo! How in the world are you able to get that to work in 64bit?!?!?!?! I think you're the only person in existence that has this working!

One last question; when you say that you have to set the type of automation inside of DP, can you explain what you mean?
This means that is I want “touch” mode or”latch” etc, I have to set that in the DP mixing board and cannot do it from the _Presonus hardware unit.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
rpmusic

Post by rpmusic »

toodamnhip wrote:
rpmusic wrote:

This means that is I want “touch” mode or”latch” etc, I have to set that in the DP mixing board and cannot do it from the _Presonus hardware unit.

Ahhh, of course...I was thinking there was some big step I was missing :-)
Rob Pottorf Music, Inc.
rp@rpmusic.com