Faderport compatibility with DP8 update from Presonus

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
rpmusic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Faderport compatibility with DP8 update from Presonus

Post by rpmusic »

I've been speaking with Adam Brandon of technical support at Presonus for a few weeks now trying to get an answer about the compatibility of the Faderport and DP8 64bit and I finally got an official statement from the software developers at Presonus and allowed me to pass this on - this is what he wrote...

"Hi Rob,

I have gone to our Software Developers and we have created a release statement to share with you and all of the MOTU forums. Please let me know if this helps you or you have any more questions for me.

Presonus Statement concerning Digital Performer 8:

"The FaderPort has a long history of operation with MOTU Digital Performer, and PreSonus continues to support versions up to and including DP 6 and 7. However, the release of DP 8 and, most recently, the release of Digital Performer for Windows, have created some issues. Until further notice, we suggest that customers who wish to use FaderPort with DP 8 use HUI mode, which DP 8 supports."

Thanks!

Adam Brandon
PAE Technical Support

It really didn't address the 64bit issue, because as of right now, 64bit doesn't recognize the Faderport, but if you're still in 32bit, you're good to go. Unfortunately....

Anyway, that's the "official" status. Hopefully we'll see a resolution...
Rob Pottorf Music, Inc.
rp@rpmusic.com
http://www.rpmusic.com
rpmusic

Re: Faderport compatibility with DP8 update from Presonus

Post by rpmusic »

*One added note: In HUI mode it will communicate with DP8 64bit, however, only 8 tracks at a time and you have to use the "bank" button to scroll to a particular track. Not a great thing if you have a lot of tracks and not very good "work flow."
Rob Pottorf Music, Inc.
rp@rpmusic.com
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

So wait... a release that widens the user base, and one that hasn't even been released yet, has stopped PreSonus in its tracks?

Let me rephrase that:
"We're just being lazy"
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Prime Mover wrote:So wait... a release that widens the user base, and one that hasn't even been released yet, has stopped PreSonus in its tracks?

Let me rephrase that:
"We're just being lazy"
LOL! That's about the size of it!
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
rpmusic

Post by rpmusic »

I hear that
Rob Pottorf Music, Inc.
rp@rpmusic.com
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Though Captain Super Cynic says:

"PreSonus just wants DP8 to fail so StudioOne can take over the world!"

yeah... right... doesn't exactly work that way though. I'm still betting on "lazy".
— Eric Barker
Eel House

MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
hrw

Post by hrw »

I use Studio One and DP. I still love DP's big sequence editor for orchestral stuff.
Thanks guys, i just got Faderport working in DP8. Cool!
Computer/s: OSX 10.8.3

2 x 2.66 GHz Mac Pro Quad-Core Intel Xeon w/ 16GB RAM,

DAW:DP8.05
Hardware: Apogee Duet
VI's/Plug-ins:
Kontakt 5.1, EW PLAY Libraries and a
million others.
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

So, are there ANY small control surfaces that work with DP8 as of now? I'd love to have one, but my desk space is limited. With AlphaTrack gone and FaderPort only in HUI mode, I'm not happy about my choices. I've been using my iPhone, but it's pretty touchy (no pun intended).
— Eric Barker
Eel House

cowtothesky

Post by cowtothesky »

I also contacted Presonus customer support and they told me the same thing... Faderport does not support DP8. They couldn't even tell me if they were working on a driver update.

So, I guess I am also in the market for a good fader controller and after this experience with Presonus, I probably won't buy from them again. I want a company that continues to support their customers.
Imac Pro 10-core, 64GB Ram, Mac OS (latest), 2TB SSD, Blackmagic Multiport 4TB SSD, DP 10, Motu Ultralite MK3 Hybrid, VSL Instruments, VE Pro, Vienna Suite, Spectrasonics, Project SAM, Spitfire, Kontakt, Korg M3
rpmusic

Post by rpmusic »

I recommend starting a "tweetfest" on the Presonus site. I just tweeted, @presonus "Looks like DP8 users are being left high and dry if they are Faderport users...can't get a response. Very sad customer support"

Maybe if we start tweeting them about our frustration we'll get some attention.

As the old saying goes, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease"
Rob Pottorf Music, Inc.
rp@rpmusic.com
hrw

Post by hrw »

rpmusic wrote:I recommend starting a "tweetfest" on the Presonus site. I just tweeted, @presonus "Looks like DP8 users are being left high and dry if they are Faderport users...can't get a response. Very sad customer support"

Good idea Rob.
Computer/s: OSX 10.8.3

2 x 2.66 GHz Mac Pro Quad-Core Intel Xeon w/ 16GB RAM,

DAW:DP8.05
Hardware: Apogee Duet
VI's/Plug-ins:
Kontakt 5.1, EW PLAY Libraries and a
million others.
cowtothesky

Post by cowtothesky »

rpmusic wrote:I recommend starting a "tweetfest" on the Presonus site. I just tweeted, @presonus "Looks like DP8 users are being left high and dry if they are Faderport users...can't get a response. Very sad customer support"

Sounds good. I don't do tweet, so maybe I'll post on their forums or just keep annoying customer service.
Imac Pro 10-core, 64GB Ram, Mac OS (latest), 2TB SSD, Blackmagic Multiport 4TB SSD, DP 10, Motu Ultralite MK3 Hybrid, VSL Instruments, VE Pro, Vienna Suite, Spectrasonics, Project SAM, Spitfire, Kontakt, Korg M3
rpmusic

Post by rpmusic »

Well, I tweeted and immediately got a response telling me that "it works in 32bit"... I replied saying that most of us in the professional world are 64bit and that the unit at this point has been rendered useless.

I tweeted again tonight asking if they planned on updating the driver for us DP8 64bit users and that we miss using our units.

I plan on continuing this "tweetfest" untill;

a) I get a solid answer

or

b) they get tired of me and block me.

I won't be rude but I definitely will be direct and I'll keep you posted on my "adventures"
Rob Pottorf Music, Inc.
rp@rpmusic.com
rpmusic

Post by rpmusic »

Here's the latest twitter exchange today:

Rob Pottorf ‏@RobPottorfMusic 17h
@PreSonus Will the FaderPort driver ever be updated DP8 64bit? Miss using this unit...any info for us DP8 64 bit users would be appreciated.

PreSonus Support ‏@PreSonusSupport 3h
@RobPottorfMusic We're looking at that, but are currently focusing driver development on our new products. Thanks for checking in!

Rob Pottorf ‏@RobPottorfMusic 23s
@PreSonusSupport Oh….very disappointing to hear. Looks like Presonus will be dead technology for us DP8 64bit users.

3:51 PM - 23 Apr 13

When they say they're looking into it...well, I hate to say it boys and girls, but we might be out on our own on this one...
Rob Pottorf Music, Inc.
rp@rpmusic.com
rpmusic

Post by rpmusic »

Once again, I'm asking everyone to start tweeting to @presonus and let's just make nuisances of ourselves (in a nice way) and see if we can get some positive action.

They definitely do not want negative tweets running on their feeds, so who knows what a few dissatisfied users could do.

Help a brother out and join my fight....I really need this unit back in my work flow!!!
Rob Pottorf Music, Inc.
rp@rpmusic.com