Waveforms not centered on the 0 line

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
glamacchia
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Waveforms not centered on the 0 line

Post by glamacchia »

Wow.. Cool old thread I happened to Google when I noticed the waveform display on Sound Cloud was always more above the line than centered.. but everything is displayed that way.

Subsonic - in answer to your question. Yes. If you had a power amp that was ≈ flat to DC…..
Put a 9v battery to test a sub woofer and see what the cone does.

This gets into absolute phase. Should the speaker first move outward when a signal is applied or in? If multiple channels are all wired the same, out of phase or in phase, can the ear perceive the difference of that first live tympani hit in a hall as positive pressure verses the speakers treat it as negative pressure?

regards
gsl

Better yet wire a sub woofer to a 120ac outlet- Kids don’t try this at home - to a timer when you're on VK
Commadore 64, Sony MXP3036, DEC PDP11's, 1961 Rupert Neve tube / Valve based (@)(@) Console, Telefunken U47, Urei, Studer, MCI and Harris TAPE . . . and 2 turntables(.Y.) and a microphone
magicd

Post by magicd »

kgdrum wrote:Jellyfish is a great band! I love Spilt Milk & Bellybutton both of these albums are awesome! ;-)
:headbang:

Check out Moog Cookbook and Imperial Drag.

Dave
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

As I re-read this thread, it occurs to me that DC offset, (if significant enough) can also rob you of a little bit digital headroom. So however much DC is there, is that much less level you can have in normalizing.

A while back I got a 3-band distortion plug in from Hornet, called Graffio. I had contacted the developer because there was a DC control within the plug-in. But it didn't have a negative direction. I asked if he could change it to offer positive and negative DC values. He said it could be done, then I never heard back from him. I did follow up a couple of times, but got no reply.

For my trombone recording issue, the high-pass solution requires too destructive of a tone change. So I still look for a better solution to that problem. Right now, I mic further away which catches too much room for my liking (it's a tiny room!)
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

AFAICR, back in the days, some T-Racks mastering tools used to build asymmetrical waveforms, but perfectly DC centred though.
What you see is NOT what you get. Go figure...
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...