Amplesound acoustic guitar - wow

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Armageddon
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Amplesound acoustic guitar - wow

Post by Armageddon »

And, just like that, the next one's already out:

http://www.xhun-audio.com/site/xhun.php?page=ironaxe

It appears to be a Windoze-only VI, but there's instructions on how to set it up with OS X ...
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page
Basstrup

Post by Basstrup »

Shooshie wrote:Has anyone here tried Telematic in Mach5.3? The more I hear about AmpleSound's guitar, the more it sounds like Telematic, and I'm wondering if they might be the same instrument, rebranded in Mach5.3.
Shooshie
Yes, telematic is very cool. AmpleSound Acoustic guitar is amazing. I was very skeptic about AmpleSound, I thought the youtube demos for the Acoustic sounded too good to be true. But I think comparing Telematic to AGM is a bit of and apple/orange situation when comparing the sound quality. I am looking forward to try the AmpleSound electrics. Listening to their demos the electrics have a more "Sampled" like sound to them, bringing them close to Telematic. That remains to be heard, but their PRS sound pretty nice to me.

I purchased AGM, had a couple of days of problems downloading, one of the samples would not expand correctly, but the company was VERY responsive and finally dropboxed me the full install, and I got it to work.

The AGM is the closest thing I've ever heard to the real thing. This will find it's way onto released tracks. Working with a lot of singer songwriters I need to repair many guitar tracks. I've have used Telematic / march 5 to double, widen and/or repair guitar tracks. Using AGM the sound quality are has been upped. I would even say it will be hard to recreate the sound if you don't have a great sounding tracking room and a great mic(pre).

I'd still hire a guitar player anytime over spending time programming, but for many "bread and butter" projects AGM is the best money I have spent since upgrading, to March 5 v.3, DP8 and purchasing EzKeys
Analog is great... We got both WOW and Flutter - what's your bias?
MOTU: DP9 - 2 x MachV - 2 x MX4 - 2 x 1296 - 2 x 896HD - 1 x UltraLite AVB - 1 x MOTU Monitor 8 - 1 x 24i - 3 x MTP AV | UA Apollo Quad | UA Arrow | SSL 2+ || Digi 002Rack | Mackie control + expanders | UAD-2 PCIe card | 2 x Mac Pro | Mac Mini Late 2018 | OS X 10.14.6
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Well, thanks for the comparison. I guess we're comparing acoustic to electric, for one thing, but given that difference, it sounds like Amplesound Acoustic is in a class of its own. I thought Telematic was amazing, truthfully, but if Amplesound is that much better, then it must be a no-brainer.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

I got back on Amplesound's site to attempt to download the 1.2.2 demos (I had actually downloaded the 1.1 demos originally, as it turns out) and their site is as screwed up as ever -- only the AGG demo/installer is actually active.

[Edit]: After talking to the company directly on their Facebook page (where they appear to have a 100 percent success rate in resolving issues), a few things are a lot clearer. The AGG is actually the only VI of theirs they demo now, and the only thing you can download without an account, which makes sense in the interest of avoiding piracy issues. You also should pretty much go ahead and download one of the downloaders suggested at the bottom of their Downloads page. I don't remember having these issues with the 1.1 installers, but my first attempt at trying to download AGG straight from Safari, the .rar file was corrupted. After they suggested I download one of the free downloader programs they linked to, I was able to download it with no problems. Now, my main problem is S.O.S. (Software Acquisition Syndrome), since I was planning on capping my spending more money on VIs (really, I've hit the point where I will never be capable of using all the sounds I have acquired, damn you, faster Macs and inexpensive VIs!!!) and I've forgotten about all the great features AmpleSound's guitar VIs have. I tried showing the MusicLab guys, but I think they're more interested in integrating their "Struminator" feature that lets you play their guitar VIs with a Guitar Hero controller, at this point. Oh, well.

I'm actually okay with RealGuitar for my acoustic VI and, for that matter, RealStrat and Real LPC, but to have another VI that can augment them for doubling (or even for specific sounds) is definitely an advantage.

It seems like my last post got deleted per James's recent thread regarding glitches on the board, but this thread is (or was) actually featured on AmpleSound's Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/AmpleSoundTech

(just scroll down to Frodo's avatar!)
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

Just another shout out for this fantastic VI. Used it on the last two projects for final tracks where acoustic guitar VI would not have been an option previously. If you've not looked at it I'd highly recommend doing so.
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

http://www.rfjmusic.com
Ample Sound

Post by Ample Sound »

Ample Guitar native RTAS released.
Here are some updates:

AGM v1.0.1 changes:
1. RTAS version.
2. Separate Detect mode and Select mode on the Strummer, on Detect mode, Chord switching will be fixed in the 12th chord selection box.
3. Fixed a bug when AGM can't customize the instrument file path.
4. Added 64-bit standalone version for Mac.

AGG AGF AGP v1.2.3 changes:
1. RTAS version.
2. Expediated the loading speed of AU and VST plugins.
3. Improved multi-threaded stability during loading.
4. Added 64-bit standalone version for Mac.

Customers can update Ample Guitar to latest version for free here
http://www.amplesound.net/en/download.asp
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

I purchased AGF (Amplesound's Fender guitar) and was refunded $30 on
my purchase because I was a "returning customer". And furthermore, I
sent Amplesound my challenge code and received my unlock code within an
hour - and it was 1:30 AM in China when I did!

This company continues to impress me with their incredible customer service.
And their products - AGF is fantastic. For me, buying one of their guitar
VI's isn't buying a really good sample set - it's like buying an actual
guitar.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
Arceo

Post by Arceo »

Hi, I just bought the AGM+AGT bundle and I installed it on my Mac with no fuss. Now I'm trying to install it on my Win7 PC slave but I cannot make VE-Pro see the plugins. The standalone opens correctly...
Does anybody run into the same issue?

Thanks in advance.
Arceo
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

Arceo wrote:Hi, I just bought the AGM+AGT bundle and I installed it on my Mac with no fuss. Now I'm trying to install it on my Win7 PC slave but I cannot make VE-Pro see the plugins. The standalone opens correctly...
Does anybody run into the same issue?

Thanks in advance.
Arceo
No problem here using it in VEP.
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

Arceo

Post by Arceo »

Solved! Thanks cbergm7210!
It didn't like to be installed on my separate sample driver. This way I had to copy the dll from the install directory to my VST folder but VEP missed the other files. I tried to install it directly on my VST folder and VEP got instantly aware of the plug in.
Cheers
Arceo
JMVideo

Post by JMVideo »

This is a great sounding VI, but I'm having trouble getting the keyswitch articulations (like slides and hammer-ons etc) to work in a sequence. I can play the keyswitches manually and they work, but when I add a keyswitch note such as E0 to the beginning of a bar, nothing happens to the other notes playing strings.The demos are extremely vague and offer no help.

Anyone had any luck getting the articulations to work seamlessly?

Post by cbergm7210 »

JMVideo wrote:This is a great sounding VI, but I'm having trouble getting the keyswitch articulations (like slides and hammer-ons etc) to work in a sequence. I can play the keyswitches manually and they work, but when I add a keyswitch note such as E0 to the beginning of a bar, nothing happens to the other notes playing strings.The demos are extremely vague and offer no help.

Anyone had any luck getting the articulations to work seamlessly?
No problems here. Shoot me a DP project file and I'll check it here.

David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Just purchased Amplesound's Taylor acoustic (AGT). $100 for returning
customers was a no-brainer.

Sounds great, just like their other products. I own a Taylor 110E and
am very familiar with the Taylor sound - AGT totally nails it.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
schnedler

Post by schnedler »

I know this thread is a little old, but I am having trouble routing my new Ample Sound guitars in DP. They don't seem to work the same way as Mach Five or other VSTs. Could anyone please explain how to set that up, which tracks you set up to record both MIDI and the Audio from the module?

Also, what effects source are you using? Do you need to use Amplitube or something similiar or can you use the internal effects?

Thanks in advance from anyone.
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

schnedler wrote:I know this thread is a little old, but I am having trouble routing my new Ample Sound guitars in DP. They don't seem to work the same way as Mach Five or other VSTs. Could anyone please explain how to set that up, which tracks you set up to record both MIDI and the Audio from the module?

Also, what effects source are you using? Do you need to use Amplitube or something similiar or can you use the internal effects?

Thanks in advance from anyone.
In DP, go to the Project Menu, select Add Track>Instrument Track and then select "Amplesound" as vendor type and then select your Amplesound guitar instrument. Just like you would any other virtual instrument in DP.

Next, you have to create a MIDI track, and assign it to "Amplesound___" (whatever your guitar is).
Then record enable the MIDI track and play some keys on your controller, you should be hearing the Amplesound guitar. Again, this is exactly what you would do with any other virtual instrument in DP.

Once you have recorded a MIDI part for the Amplesound guitar, you will next want to record the output of Amplesound as an audio track. Simple - go to the mixer page, assign a bus on the Amplesound track to a stereo or mono bus (let's say you select mono bus 25). Then create a new audio track, assign its input to that same bus. Record enable the audio track, rewind to the beginning of your song, press record and play and record the Amplesound guitar into that audio track. When finished, you can delete the instance of Amplesound because you will now have the audio track of it. Don't throw awya the MIDI track for the Amplesound guitar, though - you may want to re-do that and re-record the Amplesound guitar again later..

Point of clarification, by the way - there is no such thing as "a VST" or "VST's". "VST" stands for Virtual Studio Technology. It is a format, not an instrument or effect. Virtual instruments in DP are either AU (Audio Units) or VST, or MAS (Motu Audio System, which is DP's own format).

For best results, you should be installing and using the AU versions of virtual instruments, including the Amplesound guitars.

In regards to your questions about effects, for elecric guitars, you should be using something like Amplitube or other guitar amp simulator. DP has a suite of guitar amp and guitar pedal effects as well, and they're pretty good. Do not use the built-in effects in Amplesound guitars. They aren't high quality.