Using Shuttle Wheel with DP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Using Shuttle Wheel with DP

Post by waterstrum »

I'm using a Bella DV keyboard. (text entry, not piano keys)
I like all of the extra buttons and programmability.

It has a shuttle wheel.
My hope is to be able to use the wheel to move the wiper left and right with acceleration as I turn the wheel to the extremes.

I have searched the DP manual and so far have only come up with the following....
I've assigned the "forward" command to the first 4 positions of the "shuttle right" and "fast forward" to the remaining 3. I did the inverse on the "shuttle left".

This works, but is only a 2 speed thing.
It would be great to have the shuttle go faster when I turn the wheel farther.
I can't find any reference to accelerating the fast forward or fast reverse.

Is this possible?

Thanks and Happy New Year
All is well
JSmith1234567

Re: Using Shuttle Wheel with DP

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Is there any solution for this problem now in 2017?

Thanks!
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by HCMarkus »

If there is a solution, it lies in properly assigning whatever keystroke or other data the shuttle wheel puts out when moved to DP Commands. From experience, I know the Contour Design shuttle wheel can be programmed to repeatedly output whatever keystroke is assigned at a programmable rate. The Belia DV Keyboard is, to me, an unknown quantity.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

My old JR CS-32 could do it but there have been no drivers since OS 10.4 and the hacks I used haven't worked since OS 10.6.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

I bought a Contour Shuttle-Pro awhile back, hoping I could fast-forward and fast-rewind around the timeline of a score in DP, but was unable to get it to work that way.

It seemed to be sending continuous fast-forward or fas-rewind commands over and over to accomplish it.

I tried setting key-repeat in OS X preferences to the fastest, but that still didn't seem to help.

Part of it is that things seemed to be tied to DP's tracks window, and how far out or in you are zoomed.

I'd love it if I could somehow, while keeping things zoomed to single-measures in DP's track's window, be able to spin the shuttle wheel and get quickly to maybe an hour down further into the score.

Zooming out so the tracks window gets compacted and then moving the cursor is a pain if you do it allot, and just entering a timecode or measure number (the "dot trick") doesn't really help if you are trying get to a scene visually in the movie window instead of by remembering timecode numbers.

I did try this about 7 years ago with the Contour shuttle, so I was hoping there might be a solution or work-around to this sort of thing now with DP.
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I use the jog wheel to zoom in and out horizontally. Makes it very quick to locate posiiton, then zoom back in.
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

HCMarkus wrote:I use the jog wheel to zoom in and out horizontally. Makes it very quick to locate posiiton, then zoom back in.
that is a great idea!
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

HCMarkus, that's the best idea I've ever heard for using a job wheel.

It's such a linear, tape-based concept... shuttling the tape forward or backward, looking (or listening) for the scene or sound you want to work on.

But a DAW is an essentially non-linear system, so I've never found a use for a jog/shuttle wheel with a DAW. Until now!
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Glad you like the idea gentlemen... may it serve you well!
frankf

Post by frankf »

Gravity Jim wrote:
But a DAW is an essentially non-linear system, so I've never found a use for a jog/shuttle wheel with a DAW. Until now!
Jim, DP, for me, is certainly, at its core, a linear DAW. So was Studio Vision. It's why i chose and stuck with DP instead of Logic when Opcode went down. It fits with the linear approach to music I learned when I started. This is off topic maybe. My apologies if so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB