List of Plug-Ins/VI's that are still 32-bit only

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

List of Plug-Ins/VI's that are still 32-bit only

Post by mhschmieder »

I spent a few hours tonight going through every Plug-In and VI in my rather large collection, to see what I would lose if I went 64-bits (and in preparation for deciding whether to install DP8 yet or not).

Edit: I passed through this list again the next day by visiting some of the vendors' sites I didn't get to yet, but some of these incompatibilities were a surprise to me as I just performed several updates this past weekend and thought I remembered them being about 64-bit compatibility. Even most of the updates I did the next day didn't seem to be 64-bit.

Several vendors are 100% blacklisted and may no longer be active developers (e.g. NuSofting who have 64-bit Windows plug-ins but no updates for Mac OS X, BIAS and Roger Nichols Digital of course, 112dB who I think no longer exists due to the death of its owner?); a few are known to be mothballed products (Scarbee D-6 Filter, Camel Audio Cameleon 5000, Celemony Melodyne Bridge -- superseded as I recall).

I did update Flux BitterSweet & StereoTool today, as well as iZotope Vinyl, but they still don't show up in VE PRO, even though the website says they are now 64-bit compatible (maybe only on Windows, like AAS?). Similarly with G-Force, who posted Lion compatibility installers quite recently, and Novation, who posted recent updates but only V-Station shows up. NuGen Audio LineUp had also been updated but didn't specifically state 64-bit compatibility; similarly with Peavey ReValver mk II HPse. Sonimus SonEQ has updates but they crash and/or fail to unzip using any tool or methodology I can think of.

A few other vendors have updated enough products that the others are likely forthcoming, or have made announcements of intent: Applied Acoustics Systems; IK Multimedia; Korg; Novation; Slate Digital; Sonimus; TC Electronic; Waldorf (though Attack and D-Pole might get left in the dust or superseded); Way Out Ware.

That leaves Sound Toys, Wave Machine Labs, G-Force, and Eiosis as the main unknowns.

Unfortunately, most of my most commonly used Plug-Ins and VI's are on the blacklist -- though fewer than a month ago, so I'm hopeful. But I think I'll hold off on installing DP8 a bit further at this point.

Here's the full list from my Snow Leopard 64-bit system, of 32-bit only plugs:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

112dB:
Redline Monitor

Applied Acoustics Systems:
String Studio
Strum Acoustic
Strum Electric
Tassman
Ultra Analog

Audiffex:
GK Amplification Pro

BIAS:
Freq-2
Freq-4
GateFX
PitchCraft
Repli-Q
Reveal
SoundSoap
SoundSoap Pro
Sqweez-1
Sqweez-3
Sqweez-5
SuperFreq-4
SuperFreq-6
SuperFreq-8
SuperFreq-10
Vbox

Camel Audio:
Cameleon 5000

Celemony:
Melodyne Bridge

Eiosis:
E2 Deesser
E2 Transienter
Eiosis SideChain
ELS Vocoder

Flux:
Bittersweet II
Stereo Tool

G-Force:
impOSCar
M-Tron Pro
Virtual String Machine

IK Multimedia:
Miroslav Philharmonik
SampleMoog
SampleTank
SampleTron
Sonik Synth

iZotope:
Vinyl

Korg:
Legacy Cell
M1
MDE-X
MonoPoly
MS-20
PolySix
Wavestation

Make Music:
Smart Music Soft Synth

Novation:
BassStation
Novation FX Suite

NuGen Audio:
LineUp

NuSofting:
ComboSister
daHornet
EMM Knagalis
Entity
HarpTime
Microrock
Peti

Peavey:
ReValver mk III HPse

Roger Nichols Digital:
Inspector XL

Scarbee:
D-6 Filter

Slate Digital:
FG-X
Trigger

Sonimus:
SonEQ

SONiVOX:
Sampla

Sound Toys:
Crystallizer
Decapitator
Devil-Loc
Devil-Loc Deluxe
Echoboy
FilterFreak
Little Radiator
PanMan
PhaseMistress
Radiator
Speed
Tremolator

TC Electronic:
M30

Waldorf:
Attack
D-Pole
Largo
PPG Wave 3.V

WaveMachine Labs:
Drumagog

Way Out Ware:
KikAXXE
Last edited by mhschmieder on Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:08 pm, edited 14 times in total.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Shooshie

Re: List of Plug-Ins/VI's that don't load in Vienna Ensemble

Post by Shooshie »

Wallander Instruments' WIVI interface and Garritan's Aria engine are both 64 bit, and will load in 64 bit situations. Are you sure they don't work in Vienna Ensemble?
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
frankf

Post by frankf »

FWIW, since going 64 bit in DP8, I've reversed my workflow and have been hosting 32-bit plugs in VEP5 (32-bit). That is, VEP runs as a 64-bit plug in DP, but hosts 32-bit plugs. I've only tried the Korg VIs so far, but they work like a charm.
Frank

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Shooshie, Wallander's site is one that I haven't visited in a few months, so thanks for the heads-up that he has a 64-bit WIVI Pro available.

Edit: I installed the latest version, but it fails to find any instruments or even provide a menu for loading instruments. It's been so long since I used WIVI that I can't remember where to find its files, and couldn't find any WIVI-associated files through folder browsing or using Spotlight etc. And that includes the user manual! I hope this update didn't wipe all my data from the previous install -- I have a separate one for Saxophones 2 but didn't unpack it as I can't even figure out where to put it anymore.

ARIA loads fine in 64-bit mode -- I didn't list that one. What I had listed was a free reverb plug-in that now lists under Garritan even though that's not who originally supplied it (if you do a Get Info on the file). It was called Ambience from Smartelectronix, and shipped with GPO. It's from 2003 so I deleted it.

Frank, good advice on best workflow in the mixed 32-bit/64-bit world. I didn't realize the 32-bit VE PRO is from the point of view of hosting and that it runs as a 64-bit plug; that's really good to know, and means I should be OK doing the upgrade to DP8 and running 64-bit mode.
Last edited by mhschmieder on Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

To the point that it doesn't confuse follow-on messages, I am editing my original post as I visit each vendor's site and determine current status.

Eiosis has a new placeholder website saying "coming soon" and to watch NAMM 2012. I am going to guess that the plugs will either be made 64-bit and re-branded as Slate Digital, or that Maurice simply has wrapped up enough work at SSD to re-work his older plugs for recent OS updates and 64-bit mode.

Sound Toys, on the other hand, doesn't seem to have specific 64-bit plans due to cost of development and a poll that indicated people wouldn't be willing to pay for the update. This is quite recent information from the past few days.

As for TC Electronic M30 Reverb, it has been removed as a free product but now has a $39 version that you can request via email after logging in to their support site, as described here:

http://support.tcelectronic.com/entries ... tronic-m30

Unfortunately, neither my TC login nor my TC Support login were accepted, so they must be one of those vendors that deletes your account if you don't login for a long time. I was hoping to send email to find out if it is now 64-bit compatible, but I don't think I'd pay $39 for it. Maybe $19.

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

mhschmieder wrote:I installed the latest version, but it fails to find any instruments or even provide a menu for loading instruments. It's been so long since I used WIVI that I can't remember where to find its files, and couldn't find any WIVI-associated files through folder browsing or using Spotlight etc.

/Library/Application Support/WIVI/Instruments
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Hmm, somehow that folder became hidden, but I fixed the privileges and now can find my saxophones (which I purchased before the revision of library structure) and the user manual, so will look at the manual later today to see if I can figure out why nothing shows up when I launch the GUI, given that my files are there and the resources file points to the right location.

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

SoundToys have announced that 64-bit is on the way after all, and soon:

http://www.soundtoys.com/news/64-bit-up ... t%20report

I will wait until then to install DP8, as switching my usage of SoundToys plugs to be hosted would be the most disruptive and time-consuming to my legacy workflow of any of the 32-bit only plugs that I deal with.

kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

This statement from SoundToys really doesn't make me feel they are at all close to having 64bit updates ready for release at all.
Saying they have 2 plugs almost ready for an extremely long Beta phase after all of this time has me perplexed and underwhelmed,to say the least,only then to be followed by the transition to commence on the other plugs.
It seems like their explanation and timeline keeps changing.
Additionally only giving customers a 10 day window on the discounted upgrade for Little Radiator to Radiator,IMO shows little regard for the amount of time customers have been waiting for SoundToys to move forward with the 64bit transition,I actually find this insulting.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

SoundToys announced today that they have completed the 64-bit ports and expect just a few weeks of testing before release. The main exception of interest is VST on Macs. VST on Windows is completed as is AU on Macs. They also talk about other formats but I'm in a rush and didn't read in detail.

Frodo

Post by Frodo »

mhschmieder wrote:Hmm, somehow that folder became hidden, but I fixed the privileges and now can find my saxophones...
Either click (or control-click?) on the Go menu and select Library in ML. That will open the User Library, but click and hold on the icon in the upper window frame then drag it to your Finder sidebar for easier future access.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

My previous response got swallowed during a re-login less than a minute after logging in; didn't think to pre-save the edit buffer as a result. This time around won't be worded as well.

G-Force have just updated M-Tron Pro and Virtual String Machine to 64-bits (and have discontinued support for the old/original M-Tron).

Their website is down at the moment while they update the links/etc. but the email announcement was already sent out so I'm sure they'll be bombarded later.

The add-ons are a Philicorda for VSM (funny as I bought the Precisionsound library on sale last week) and a Piano Bass for M-Tron Pro (seems a strange target for that one).

Good timing as I just got around to installing my DP8 upgrade late Sunday night and one of the main reasons I held out so long is that these are my two most-used VI's next to Vienna Instruments Pro.

nk_e

Post by nk_e »

frankf wrote:FWIW, since going 64 bit in DP8, I've reversed my workflow and have been hosting 32-bit plugs in VEP5 (32-bit). That is, VEP runs as a 64-bit plug in DP, but hosts 32-bit plugs. I've only tried the Korg VIs so far, but they work like a charm.
Frank

Frank Ferrucci
This works beautifully and you will have access to your 32bit plugins (VST and AU)

In fact, the VEPro host seems extremely robust. I even got it to run a plugin based on the old VST 2.1 SDK that had been wrapped by the discontinued FXPansion VST->AU Wrapper program. Very robust.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

112 dB have a few out in 64-bit mode now and a couple more in beta, as well as announcing they are working on all of them, so Redline Monitor will probably be available as a 64-bit plug by end of summer.

My bigger concern right now is stuff I can't use in a host due to side-chaining (someone correct me if I'm wrong), such as Eiosis ELS Vocoder. It's partly for this reason that I bought the new vocoder plug-in from XILS-lab: V+ (Roland VP-330 Vocoder Plus). I may run out of time on the film project (though like most, it has seen some delays due to two actor replacements), so might have to go for the Roland vocoder sound on the one track that requires vocoder, vs. my preference of the EMS sound (as in the Eiosis plug).

I'm going through the rest of my list today to see if there were any 64-bit ports I didn't get notice of these past few months.

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Flux Stereo Tool has not yet been ported, but Bittersweet has and is now at V3, but requires Lion or later (no Snow Leopard support). Both are free tools; the only reason I mentioned them.