Missing Alphatrack in DP 8

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
supersonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Missing Alphatrack in DP 8

Post by supersonic »

I don't see my Alphatrack in DP8. It works ok in DP7. Has anyone had a similar problem? I have also asked Motu and FrontierDesign and will post the solution when I sort it out. Meanwhile, any solutions out there anyone may be aware of?
Music is movement in silence
My day jon - http://www.audioplanet.pl
My other passion - http://www.aps-company.pl
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Missing Alphatrack in DP 8

Post by James Steele »

supersonic wrote:I don't see my Alphatrack in DP8. It works ok in DP7. Has anyone had a similar problem? I have also asked Motu and FrontierDesign and will post the solution when I sort it out. Meanwhile, any solutions out there anyone may be aware of?
Are you running DP8 in 64-bit mode? If you are AT will not work.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
rpmusic

Post by rpmusic »

Yeah, I'm running into the same problem - running in 32bit mode at the moment.

I've written to tech support at Frontier Design but haven't had a response yet (early last week). The fact that they haven't done any updates on their drivers since 2010 doesn't necessarily mean that this AT is "falling by the way side," but it does make on wonder what the future for this unit is.

If I get a response back from them, I'll definitely post the info here.
Rob Pottorf Music, Inc.
rp@rpmusic.com
http://www.rpmusic.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

rpmusic wrote:Yeah, I'm running into the same problem - running in 32bit mode at the moment.

I've written to tech support at Frontier Design but haven't had a response yet (early last week). The fact that they haven't done any updates on their drivers since 2010 doesn't necessarily mean that this AT is "falling by the way side," but it does make on wonder what the future for this unit is.

If I get a response back from them, I'll definitely post the info here.
I'm not optimistic. It is a discontinued product.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Kubi

Post by Kubi »

If you have an iPad, V-Control would be an awesome replacement. $49, which is a lot for an iOs app, but not a lot for a dedicated wireless controller. Powerful too, open any plug-in window on the iPad and edit using multi-touch right there with your hands, you know, like in the old days - well, close.

I *think* V-Control will work w/ DP8, although as I'm typing I of course realize I wouldn't know, since I run DP7.24... :D Try the (rather crippled) free version first, it'll be enough to let you know if it works for you, and if it does then you can buy the paid version.

PS: Works great on the first-gen iPad, in case you were wondering. And it's very responsive, too.
Kubi
---------------------------------------------------
Kubilay Uner
http://kubilayuner.com
MacPro 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 20GB RAM; OS 10.9.5; DP9.01; MOTU 2408mk3 & MIDI Express 128 w/latest drivers
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Frontier Design is still advertising both the Alphatrack and the Tranzport. They've also said both are discontinued.

http://www.frontierdesign.com This page carries a 2012 copyright. That strikes me as misleading at best.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
rpmusic

Post by rpmusic »

Not great news...I use the Novation Zero SL MkII as my main controller but I really loved using the AT to grab a fader for what ever track I currently had selected and having it as a "flying fader". So disappointing to hear that it's being discontinued.

Does anyone know if the PreSonus FaderPort is a viable option? http://www.presonus.com/products/FaderPort
And more importantly, is it compatible with DP8 and Mountain Lion? I know that it's 64bit compatible.

I just want my "single fader" back!
Rob Pottorf Music, Inc.
rp@rpmusic.com
http://www.rpmusic.com
bolla

Post by bolla »

I've emailed tech support as well.
It's a great little unit. Well built. Zero problems.
Hoping for 64bit but might have to look elsewhere.
Cheers, Bolla
8 Core 2.8 10.11.1 DP 8.07 | Dual 2.5 G5 VEP Slave | PC i7 920 VEP Slave | UAD Sat Quad | MiniMoog
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

So it simply be a matter of 64bit? I will check this out. I use ipad for the occasional control and my MC artist for big mixing projects in my second setup but I also liked Alpha Track a lot. As far as riding the fader goes there is no substitute for a physical fader. The ones on ipad don't give me the feeling I need in order to be able to ride properly and that is often what I like to do on my mixes. I use the DP control on Ipad for controlling my DP. It has been working well except one few occasions when it did a Kernel Panic freeze on me. Lets see what MOTU and Frontier design say about this. Alpha track and Tranzport has been an inspiration for the new studio controller I have been working on for my speaker company. The functionality and wireless is at the center of control for me. Perhaps I can include a fader right there in the controller ;)
Music is movement in silence
My day jon - http://www.audioplanet.pl
My other passion - http://www.aps-company.pl
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I need to make this quick because I have a lot going on right now, but my suspicion is that the DP specific bundle for the AlphaTrack has to be rewritten for 64-bit support. I've toyed with the idea of trying to contact Frontier and see if they would be open to us doing some sort of pledge drive of users who would be willing to chip in money to compensate them for programming resources to make that happen since it's and end of line product. I'd happily pay something to keep the AlphaTrack alive for years to come. I rely on it heavily.

bolla

Post by bolla »

There is a plug on their site that supports 64bit for "another" mac DAW.
Cheers, Bolla
8 Core 2.8 10.11.1 DP 8.07 | Dual 2.5 G5 VEP Slave | PC i7 920 VEP Slave | UAD Sat Quad | MiniMoog
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bolla wrote:There is a plug on their site that supports 64bit for "another" mac DAW.
Cheers, Bolla
Really? I'll have to check that out. Could be that maybe it's up to the developer to do that.

bolla

Post by bolla »

Here it is.

"2010-10-28
AlphaTrack_Logic_1.3.zip - 110KB
This is the control surface plug-in for Logic 9.1.2 and later versions only. If you’re using Logic’s 64-bit version, you must use this plug-in...."

I guess we can respectfully bug them and see if that works.

Cheers, Bolla
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bolla wrote:Here it is.

"2010-10-28
AlphaTrack_Logic_1.3.zip - 110KB
This is the control surface plug-in for Logic 9.1.2 and later versions only. If you’re using Logic’s 64-bit version, you must use this plug-in...."

I guess we can respectfully bug them and see if that works.

Cheers, Bolla
Hmmm... it wouldn't hurt. Maybe a petition. I'm an AlphaTrack user and I'd love this. First thought to see where responsibility lies for app compatibility. Very cool though. Maybe there's hope!

Gabe S.

Post by Gabe S. »

Hi.

The FaderPort works in DP 8 64 bit, but it's not the same as before with it's own native driver. Now, it works in Mackie HUI mode. It's not as slick, but at least it's there.

Not sure about Mountain Lion since I'm still in 10.6.8.

Cheers.
-gabe
Computer: 2019 Mac Pro 28-core 2.5gHz, OS 10.15.2, 96GB ram, all SSD/NVME drives, MH Labs ULN-8, MOTU MidiTimepiece AV
DP Setup: DP10.11, all Spectrasonics VIs, all Waves plugins, Sonnox AU, Altiverb, NI Komplete 12/K5+6, Plogue Bidule 64 as VI host